IMG - Family residency application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busyehhh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a Canadian MS3 studying in Australia. I'm interested in the FM programs in the US but am clueless about which states and which hospitals I should aim to apply residency for. I'd really appreciate any input!
  1. What are some good hospitals for FM that takes IMG
  2. Which states that take IMGs are good for living in terms of safety, cost, lifestyle?
Thank you all so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I'm a Canadian MS3 studying in Australia. I'm interested in the FM programs in the US but am clueless about which states and which hospitals I should aim to apply residency for. I'd really appreciate any input!
  2. Which states that take IMGs are good for living in terms of safety, cost, lifestyle?
Thank you all so much!
As an IMg you take what you can get if you are lucky. Look for programs that already have imgs

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all so much!

Based on what I’ve seen from other IMGs, get ready to apply to >200 programs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
are you implying you have a choice of what state?

Last edited:
As an IMg you take what you can get if you are lucky. Look for programs that already have imgs
Thank you for the input! I appreciate the honest suggestion.

Go into the website of every FM program and apply to the ones that take IMG...

If your step 1 score is good (i.e. > 230), you can get away with applying to 125-150 programs. If it is between 210-229, I suggest 200+ programs.

Are there any programs that Australians usually match into in the US?

Also, I would go on SGU/Ross's match list and see which places they place FM residents into. Those might be easier for you to get into.

But ya get ready to apply to a lot of programs.

Not sure if you're dead set on FM. But I would say that you should try to keep the possibility of IM open as well.

FM programs are less likely to sponsor visas. ~340 non-US-imgs matched into FM this season.

IM programs are much more likely to sponsor J1/H1. ~2000+ non-US-imgs matched into IM.

From a purely numbers game, odds are better in IM (but you'll need higher board scores on average compared to FM)

Last edited:
Go into the website of every FM program and apply to the ones that take IMG...

If your step 1 score is good (i.e. > 230), you can get away with applying to 125-150 programs. If it is between 210-229, I suggest 200+ programs.
Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely keep that in mind

Are there any programs that Australians usually match into in the US?

Also, I would go on SGU/Ross's match list and see which places they place FM residents into. Those might be easier for you to get into.

But ya get ready to apply to a lot of programs.

^ I'm quite curious about if there are programs like that too.
Thank you for the advice!

Not sure if you're dead set on FM. But I would say that you should try to keep the possibility of IM open as well.

FM programs are less likely to sponsor visas. ~340 non-US-imgs matched into FM this season.

IM programs are much more likely to sponsor J1/H1. ~2000+ non-US-imgs matched into IM.

From a purely numbers game, odds are better in IM (but you'll need higher board scores on average compared to FM)

Oh! That's definitely something that I need to consider, I didn't take the Visa into account. I'm pretty set on FM, but Visa sponsorship is a priority too