IMG for New York Medical License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

over_the_rainbow

Reaction score
I am an IMG enrolled in a medical school in Asia. My medical school follows the British system, ie. an undergraduate school that lasts for 6 years. As I am a US green card holder, I plan to take the USMLE, seek for residency in the US and finally obtain US medical license. My family is in New York and I honestly wish to register in there. When I browsed the website of New York Office of the Professions website (NYS Medicine:License Requirements) however, I realized there is a pre-professional education requirement which states I have to complete at least 2 years of college study before enrolling in medical school. Does this mean I am not qualified to register in New York? For medical schools that follow the British system, the first to third years are "pre-clinical years" which cover basic sciences such as physiology, biochemistry, anatomy, pharmacology, etc. Is this kind of similar to the undergraduate courses required to enter medical schools that follow the American system, ie. so called "pre-professional education"? The fourth to sixth years are "clinical years" which cover clinical knowledge in various specialities.

Thanks in advance.

PS. I sent an email to the New York Office of the Professions to enquire this but there has been no reply so far

Members don't see this ad.