IMG - GenSurg Residency HELP Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMGhelpjhrq

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi , this is my very first time posting here . Im sorry if this topic has already been mentioned before but none of the previous post seems to be similar enough to my situation.
I graduated 2016 from medschool in mexico . Then did 4 months of surgery research at a national health institute before starting GenSurg Residency at a pretty renown hospital in my country. Step1 245/Step 2CK 227/Step 2CS First Pass. USCE : 1 month Sub-I in an Ivy league hospital. 1 LOR from my Sub-i PD. Have published a couple of Pubmed indexed articles so far . Currently GenSurg PGY2 and trying to publish all i can .Just received my ECFMG certificate and would like to know which is my best option at this point (if looking forward to do GenSurg and sub specialty in the US ).
I wonder if i would have more chances of matching if 1) i finish residency in my country (allowing me to publish more and boost my cv ) and then try to go for a categorical . Or 2)if i try to go for a good prelim now and then re apply for a categorical? .
I have read some posts suggesting that it would be more productive to stop residency in my country and start a research position in the US. What do you think would be the most convenient?
Thanks a lot for your opinion !

Members don't see this ad.