IMG going back to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ankido

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am an IMG and I need advice from people here who are involved in the residency selection process. I graduated in 2013 and since then I applied a few times with no luck. I tried in different specialties and got some interviews but did not match. I have been doing research since I graduated. currently I applied to medical school in the US (DO school) and got accepted to start this summer. Do you think investing the time and money in a DO school would allow me to match in a competitive residency given that I have already given my USMLE exams (1-3) and I cannot change my scores? Would programs be interested in an applicant like me?

About me:
YOG: 2013
Step 1: 231
Step 2 CK: 225
Step 2CS: pass (2nd attempt)
Step 3: 215
4 months of US clinical experience as a medical student
>4 years of research experience
Publications (peer-reviewed and posters): >25

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Can you even DO that? I mean, would you be able to retake your STEPs? Taking the COMLEX exams may not help you much/any...

Reactions: 1 users
NYCOM has a program for this: Osteopathic Medicine, D.O. – Émigré Physicians Program | Degrees | New York Tech (nyit.edu)

I assumed it was shorter, but it appears to still be 4 years long.

About your USMLE, you will NOT be allowed to retake it, under any circumstance. You've passed S3 so they are all done. They never expire. If you had not passed S3, then you might be able to retake earlier steps because of time limits for completing S3.

With those scores and background, I would have expected you to be able to get a spot. Looking at your post history, your prior posts were all in the anesthesia forums. Applying to Anesthesia with that background, not surprising you ended up without a spot.

If you do pursue this, you should be ready to apply to one of the less competitive fields.

Reactions: 3 users
Pretty sure the NY program is for people born in other countries and practicing physicians there. If the OP is a US IMG, I don't think they'll accept him.

OP, this DO school knows you've already graduated med school? Since your scores are so old, I think it's going to depend on which school you go to? If it's a brand new DO school, I'd say no. It's not worth the risk. If going to one of the older, established, good DO schools, maybe. How much debt do you have? Might be more cost effective to just go to PA school.

Reactions: 1 user
To be clear, the OP seems to say that they have already been accepted at a DO school. I find that a little surprising, but I guess it's possible.

You ask whether you can match in a competitive residency. If you mean anesthesia, or something like a surgical field, then the answer to your question is probably no. Even a US DO student with mediocre step scores who didn't have your weird, winding career path would struggle to match. If you simply mean can you get a residency, the answer is probably yes--most US DO grads do, and you've already cleared the hurdles of passing the USMLEs. So if you're willing to go for a primary care specialty or something else that is readily attainable, you probably have a shot.

Probably a better option than whatever else you've been doing over the last 8 years... but only you can decide whether it's worth it.

• Love
Maybe the OP was accepted to the NYITCOM program?

Pretty sure the NY program is for people born in other countries and practicing physicians there. If the OP is a US IMG, I don't think they'll accept him.

OP, this DO school knows you've already graduated med school? Since your scores are so old, I think it's going to depend on which school you go to? If it's a brand new DO school, I'd say no. It's not worth the risk. If going to one of the older, established, good DO schools, maybe. How much debt do you have? Might be more cost effective to just go to PA school.

It is possible that the OP was born outside the US, and was admitted to the NY program

Hi,

I am an IMG and I need advice from people here who are involved in the residency selection process. I graduated in 2013 and since then I applied a few times with no luck. I tried in different specialties and got some interviews but did not match. I have been doing research since I graduated. currently I applied to medical school in the US (DO school) and got accepted to start this summer. Do you think investing the time and money in a DO school would allow me to match in a competitive residency given that I have already given my USMLE exams (1-3) and I cannot change my scores? Would programs be interested in an applicant like me?

About me:

Thank you in advance
Congrats on your admission to DO Program, all i will say is do not be discouraged by whatever advice you read out here, Whatever specialty you decide to go for, Put in the work, do Research , network , do away rotations if possible to expand your network in your area of interest. Nothing is impossible.

Goodluck

Sure...apply anesthesia. There are a handful of traditional DO residencies. But I’d also apply to a less competitive residency.

I wish you well...but this is a tough one to supply advice. DOs do have a better chance to match...but it’s still not a lock. You will likely continue to be a high risk Med student. I think that you should look in the mirror and ask if it’s worth it to you to spend ANOTHER 7 years of your life grinding in hopes of land either an FP or IM residency. Because if it’s not...I’d strong suggest reconsidering. Unless you have a trust fund or something...you will probably have $600,000+ in debt at the end of this. You can still pay it back in FP/IM but it’s going to mean living like a resident for a pretty long time. There’s no way that I’d EXPECT to land anesthesia.

Last edited:
I was actually considering going to a DO school as well after completing one of the caribbean schools. I also have failure on step 2 and was wondering if I could take the comlex exams and only report those? I have steps 1-3 completed. Thanks for any input.
Jesus, do y’all have unlimited funds or something? This seems like a huuuge debt incurrence.

Reactions: 4 users
Well, I admire your determination. If it was me, I would probably consider a postdoc, medicine-related PhD (I think this is free with living stipend, right?) to boost residency prospect, get academic position, letters. There were posts by unmatched grads in competitive fields who have done this and got a position. I myself would also probably try to work as a house physician or surgical assistant or get a cheaper AHP degree to get work and maintain clinical experience. I would definitely consider joining the military and try their match; not for everyone but if I was really set on getting into residency, I'd do anything. Anyway, if you have the energy, I guess being a fresh grad with new transcripts, dean's letter, clerkship eval/letters may help. I'm slightly older than you and I don't remember a lot of basic science stuff but the idea of a reset to change trajectory of your career is nice...I just wouldn't even contemplate it (med school redo)

Last edited:
I was actually considering going to a DO school as well after completing one of the caribbean schools. I also have failure on step 2 and was wondering if I could take the comlex exams and only report those? I have steps 1-3 completed. Thanks for any input.

Programs will know your work history. So by knowing that you were previously an IMG they would know you took the Steps. It’s only going to come across as deceitful if you do not disclose.

Looks like you are a US-IMG, in which case you would not be eligible for the pathways discussed above (both of the linked programs require you to be born outside of the US).

Personally I think it's extremely unlikely that you would be accepted at a DO school when you've already received an MD elsewhere. But given that your post history shows you graduated in 2018, you're probably getting close to the point where you may as well try something crazy. That assistant physician program in Missouri is also something you could consider: https://pr.mo.gov/assistantphysicians.asp

I rotated with a guy who did this pathway. He was born in egypt and attended medical school there. Did a residency in optho in egypt.
Came to the US. Took the steps. Applied twice with no luck.
Did the NYCOM program. Passed all the comlex's.
Matched into a DO optho program.

Reactions: 2 users
I rotated with a guy who did this pathway. He was born in egypt and attended medical school there. Did a residency in optho in egypt.
Came to the US. Took the steps. Applied twice with no luck.
Did the NYCOM program. Passed all the comlex's.
Matched into a DO optho program.
I don’t think nycom will accept former Caribbean grads, only real FMG’s. Repeating med school is probably not a good idea anyway. I would just go to PA school or something.

I got in contact with various DO schools and none seemed to care as long as I had the pre-reqs and MCAT done. When I didn't match last year I started re-taking my pre-reqs as a back up and will be completed soon. Not looking for a highly competitive residency either.
Wow, you gotta take mcats again too? You might end up like almost 1 mil in debt and if you match, it’ll probably be FM or IM. That could take you a while to pay off. You sure you want that?

Thankfully I have a very minimal amount of loans left so that won't be an issue. The mcats would be annoying i agree but i'm more concerned with showing only comlex scores to programs.
Doing med school all over again sounds pretty insane but chances are you’ll know the material a lot better the 2nd time around and do better academically. If money not an issue at all, just do what you want to do and you’ll have no regrets later on.

Hi,

About me:

Thank you in advance
Did you get accepted to a new school? You would have been DOA at mine.

You already have a number of red flags, but I don't know if PDs would let the slate be wiped clean by another round of med school.

Frankly, if you were my kid, I'd say that you had your chance and it's time to do something else with your life.

You should also be thinking about ANY residency, not competitive ones.

@GoSpursGo
@NotAProgDirector

What say you?

Doing med school all over again sounds pretty insane but chances are you’ll know the material a lot better the 2nd time around and do better academically. If money not an issue at all, just do what you want to do and you’ll have no regrets later on.
But how much crazier is it to spend another 3-5 years doing another degree in something you aren’t as interested in like law or business...while DO and MD are considered equal degrees they are not the same degrees... and there are plenty of people who have multiple bachelors or master’s degree in different disciplines.
Though if one were to repeat a medical degree, they should excel at it... having the same issues with the second degree will put you in the same place...to the OP if you do the DO... be at the top of your class and have the best cv you possibly can.

Did you get accepted to a new school? You would have been DOA at mine.

You already have a number of red flags, but I don't know if PDs would let the slate be wiped clean by another round of med school.

Frankly, if you were my kid, I'd say that you had your chance and it's time to do something else with your life.

You should also be thinking about ANY residency, not competitive ones.

@GoSpursGo
@NotAProgDirector

What say you?
Yeah, more or less agree. The quality of the school matters for sure, as does what the OP means by "competitive residency."

I already commented above, not much more to add.

The OP will likely be more competitive after completing a DO. They will get to take the COMLEX, but not retake the USMLE since they have passed the whole sequence. What residency programs will do with someone with poor old USMLE scores and great new COMLEX scores is unclear. I would expect their chances will be better with prior AOA programs.

Thankfully I have a very minimal amount of loans left so that won't be an issue. The mcats would be annoying i agree but i'm more concerned with showing only comlex scores to programs.
How did you pay your loans off? How much were they? I am only asking because is you paid them off I assume you are making a decent living so why even go back?

Hi,

About me:

Thank you in advance

This is a really interesting post. This is something I've thought about before and wondered if it's been done and this is the first time I'm seeing it. Having a distant YOG and being an IMG are both negative factors in the residency selection process so OP opted to circumvent both and straight up do medical school in the US all over again. I find this quite the story. I do have a couple comments.

1.) Assuming you took those USMLE exams near your YOG, they're very likely going to expire (each exam I think is valid for 7 years) so you're going to have to take them all again.
COMLEX scores like NAPD said.

2.) 25 publications, having more medical school than 99.9% of medical students, and the resilience you're showing will not be a significant plus come residency selection time. At best you will be seen as on par with everyone else. That's just how it works. While DOs can match anything, the DO degree still carries a heavy negative bias in competitive fields. Before pursuing this 4 year path, I would ask yourself if you're comfortable with Internal/Family Medicine and if not, would not do it. You're likely going to end up with >300K in debt and no job.

3.) As a second generation American, I can kind of see the sentiment behind the craziness. You have worked all your life towards medicine and want to just make it here and practice in the US healthcare system. Like some have said it sounds crazy, but some really want to do it and wouldn;t be happy with anything else.

4.) Honestly, with rare cases like this it's really hard for SDN to prognosticate accurately.

EDIT: NAPD already commented. Sorry for the tag!

Last edited:
How did you pay your loans off? How much were they? I am only asking because is you paid them off I assume you are making a decent living so why even go back?

International schools tuition work differently. If OP is US-IMG they likely have funding from somewhere (parents, etc.)

Go for it and only report COMLEX scores. You might not get ortho, but you'll be a practicing physician

Whatever you do...please give us updates. I wish you well!