IMG interested in Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genoa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m a medical student from Europe interested in doing anesthesiology residency in the US. My school has a pretty cramped curriculum and my only opportunity to do electives in the US would be 2 months next year. I can choose between two places: one where I could do 3 electives, 3 weeks each, and another that offers two 4 week electives. Both are highly regarded universities, so I doubt I could match into their programs.

So my questions essentially are:

- Is 3 weeks enough for a LoR?
- Would it be better to do 3 different electives rather than 2, if you bear in mind that each elective would be shorter?
- How important is location? Do residency programs prefer LoR:s from the same region of the country?
- In addition to anesthesiology, what should the 2nd (and possibly 3rd) elective be? Critical care? IM subspecialty?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think the time you spend doing an elective is as important as the place you're doing it. Getting LORs is fine and dandy, but as an IMG an elective is a great opportunity to prove that you're worth taking a shot on. You should broaden your search and find programs that you have a shot at.

Reactions: 1 user