This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's very variable based on where you interviewed, visa issues etc etc... but how low should we expect to go in our ranking list? What's a safe number of programs to rank?
I have never heard someone go past no.8 and that's pretty rare I think....I will rank around 15 programs because I am scared :p I think it's quite common to match on your #4-#5 and rarely even #6-#7....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven’t seen this year’s fellowship match for NJMS but last year they matched yale, Emory, MGH for cardiology too. All nice fellowship match for cardio with SLR having in-house. SLR and NJMS just seemed like a happier places which is a plus if all have good fellowship match rates.
About SLR, do you know if residents have to draw blood and do scutwork? I have heard that nurses do not cooperate easily in NY in all programs but SLR gave me an amazing impression on my interview day....

I have never heard someone go past no.8 and that's pretty rare I think....I will rank around 15 programs because I am scared :p I think it's quite common to match on your #4-#5 and rarely even #6-#7....
Dude, I've heard of someone who went unmatched despite a rank list of 20. Anecdotal and an extreme outlier, but still possible. Rank everything, unless there's a program that you hated so much that you'd rather go unmatched than go there.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
About SLR, do you know if residents have to draw blood and do scutwork? I have heard that nurses do not cooperate easily in NY in all programs but SLR gave me an amazing impression on my interview day....

They gave me a great impression too. The intern who gave us a tour told me you will still do scut work. It’s just NY. He said they have made changes and it has improved but it still happens. You might do blood draws 2-3 times a month according to him. Taking that with a grain of salt as usual.

I know it's very variable based on where you interviewed, visa issues etc etc... but how low should we expect to go in our ranking list? What's a safe number of programs to rank?

I ranked every program I went to for an interview because of our IMG status, visa needed or not. There’s only one program I didn’t rank and that’s because I hated it so much that I would rather go unmatched than go there.

They gave me a great impression too. The intern who gave us a tour told me you will still do scut work. It’s just NY. He said they have made changes and it has improved but it still happens. You might do blood draws 2-3 times a month according to him. Taking that with a grain of salt as usual.

General consensus is ranking all the Univ programs ahead of the community programs. Even though SLR is phenomenal as a community program (due to its history as the teaching hospital of Colombia Univ), it is still not that academic comparing to Mid-tier Univ programs

every interview you've been on, RANK IT. If you already spent money and time preparing and travelling to your IVs, why on earth would you not rank every single one of them.
I understand your point but personally disagree. I've had a good amount of interviews. Of those, there were 3 (all in NY area) that I absolutely hated and know I would be miserable there. Thought about it for a while and I would rather not match than match there so I will not be ranking them. I think it's a very personal decision and depends on your personality/goals/family circumstances etc

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Dude, I've heard of someone who went unmatched despite a rank list of 20. Anecdotal and an extreme outlier, but still possible. Rank everything, unless there's a program that you hated so much that you'd rather go unmatched than go there.
I never implied not to rank all programs we interviewed, of course anything could happen! I just talked about chances....Of course we should rank ALL programs (unless someone would prefer to go unmatched rather than go to a specific program) and try to attend as many interviews as possible!

Thank you for the information! I am pretty sure SLR is an exceptional program despite having to do some blood draws.

I understand your point but personally disagree. I went on 3 interviews (all in NY area) that I absolutely hated and know I would be miserable there. Thought about it for a while and I would rather not match than match there so I will not be ranking them. I think it's a very personal decision and depends on your personality/goals/family circumstances etc
If you feel so strongly about those programs, then your decision is 100% justified! Why make yourself miserable for 3 years because of potentially going unmatched!

Between Washington Hospital Center and Einstein, Philadelphia. Which one would be better? I have heard WHC isn't that great for GI, but I'm no really keen on GI anyway

Between Washington Hospital Center and Einstein, Philadelphia. Which one would be better? I have heard WHC isn't that great for GI, but I'm no really keen on GI anyway
Both are amazing programs and they are pretty close to be honest, just go with your gut feeling.

Philly Einstein just merged with Thomas Jefferson system last summer. You may want to learn how that would have an impact on the curriculum and future prospect

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts??

UT-Austin-categorical
UT Austin-Primary Care
Cooper-All AMGs
SUNY Upstate-love it but weather and city sucks
Texas Tech-El Paso
Jersery shore-Awesome all around

Philly Einstein just merged with Thomas Jefferson system last summer. You may want to learn how that would have an impact on the curriculum and future prospect
Heard about that. Will check it out, thanks!

Any thoughts??

UT-Austin-categorical
UT Austin-Primary Care
Cooper-All AMGs
SUNY Upstate-love it but weather and city sucks
Texas Tech-El Paso
Jersery shore-Awesome all around

Hey man congrats! I'd go UT Austin>Suny Upstate>Texas Tech El Paso>Jersey Shore>Cooper (From what you mentioned about them being disinterested and IV IMGs as a formality.

Do you respond to “ thank you for considering us” response to after LOI?

Hello everyone! US-IMG here interest in GI, but don't mind hospitalist at this point, just would like to leave fellowship option open in general. Strong desire to stay NE region. Help me with rank please! Here's mine:
*University Program/strong tie & GI in-house
1. Drexel
2. SUNY Downstate
3. Albany Medical Center
4. Westchester (with NYMC)

*Community program with GI in-house
5. Staten Island University Hospital
6. NYP Queens
7. Maimonides
8. NYP Brooklyn Methodist
9. Hackensack Palisades

*No GI in-house fellowship but strong education
10. Ascension St. John Hospital (MI) - All other fellowships avail. & resources. Maybe up???
11. St. Mary Mercy Hospital (MI)
12. Ocala medical center (FL)

*New/relatively New Residency Programs
13. LewisGale Medical Center (VA)
14. NYCOMEC
15. South Nassau Communities Hospital
16. Northeast Georgia Medical Center

What are your thoughts on westchester? It has all the fellowships. Residents were nice. However, they didn’t have info on fellowship matches which I found odd. How is this viewed compared to Winthrop, maim, stony brook, monte, etc. thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
very very busy program, heard that residents routinely break duty hour rules but asked to underreport hours so that program doesnt get into trouble. avoid ranking high if possible

Reactions: 3 users
General consensus is ranking all the Univ programs ahead of the community programs. Even though SLR is phenomenal as a community program (due to its history as the teaching hospital of Colombia Univ), it is still not that academic comparing to Mid-tier Univ programs
This varies...for example ccf is actually a community program but I can’t imagine someone ranking podunk university over it...yeah that’s an extreme example but here are community programs that are stronger and have more opportunities than some lower tier uni program...especially if it’s a brand new uni program vs an established community program.

Hello everyone! US-IMG here interest in GI, but don't mind hospitalist at this point, just would like to leave fellowship option open in general. Strong desire to stay NE region. Help me with rank please! Here's mine:
*University Program/strong tie & GI in-house
1. Drexel
2. SUNY Downstate
3. Albany Medical Center
4. Westchester (with NYMC)

*Community program with GI in-house
5. Staten Island University Hospital
6. NYP Queens
7. Maimonides
8. NYP Brooklyn Methodist
9. Hackensack Palisades

*No GI in-house fellowship but strong education
10. Ascension St. John Hospital (MI) - All other fellowships avail. & resources. Maybe up???
11. St. Mary Mercy Hospital (MI)
12. Ocala medical center (FL)

*New/relatively New Residency Programs
13. LewisGale Medical Center (VA)
14. NYCOMEC
15. South Nassau Communities Hospital
16. Northeast Georgia Medical Center
I think I should bump my post. Can anyone help me with list please?

Guys, any tips on metrowest? Not a lot of information on their website.

Hey guys, what about Medstar WHC vs Mt Sinai SLR?
I am interested in both cards and gi

very very busy program, heard that residents routinely break duty hour rules but asked to underreport hours so that program doesnt get into trouble. avoid ranking high if possible

Thanks a lot. Take care.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys, what about Medstar WHC vs Mt Sinai SLR?
I am interested in both cards and gi
Both are good for cards, but I've heard that WHC is dead for GI. You might wanna confirm that though

Just now reflecting on my wonderful interview a while back at Washington MedStar. As an IMG, this is a weird question to ask, but I am curious to why all the residents are IMGs. I love the idea of having a very diverse class but I am curious to know if there are any thoughts to why an American grad wouldn't select the program for a categorical position. The program is in an amazing location, beautiful hospital, and fantastic fellowship opportunities. Just wondering! Thanks for any insight.

Just now reflecting on my wonderful interview a while back at Washington MedStar. As an IMG, this is a weird question to ask, but I am curious to why all the residents are IMGs. I love the idea of having a very diverse class but I am curious to know if there are any thoughts to why an American grad wouldn't select the program for a categorical position. The program is in an amazing location, beautiful hospital, and fantastic fellowship opportunities. Just wondering! Thanks for any insight.
You might want to post that on the rank thread or Reddit, where there are a ton of AMGs to answer that question.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You might want to post that on the rank thread or Reddit, where there are a ton of AMGs to answer that question.

Didn't even think about that - good shout, thanks!

I think I should bump my post. Can anyone help me with list please?
I think this is a great list. Your desire to stay in the NE and possibly go into GI (while still receiving great primary care training for a potential hospitalist gig) is reflected well in the order imo. I'd consider moving Ascension higher if they have better research and fellowship matching than the ones that are higher up, especially if the location is suitable. It's my personal opinion that it's better to go to a program with better research and fellowship matching than it is to go to a place that happens to have that in-house fellowship. Because not everyone gives their own people priority, and with better research and resources, you build yourself up to be a stronger candidate who can match in many places vs. someone who went somewhere with weaker research and missed out on their in-house GI while also not building up their CV to match at other places either. Just my 2 cents. But I think your top 5 is solid and will likely be where you end up.

How important is Trauma Level for IM? Should we care since we are not surgeons or in ICU alot

How important is Trauma Level for IM? Should we care since we are not surgeons or in ICU alot
I dont think as much. Trauma is usually staffed by Surgery, Anesthesia and/or ER. Through IM, you're going to be running MICU but never the SICU, at least at academic settings.

because out of the academic programs in the DC area, WHC as a community program and is not going to high on the list.

I think this is a great list. Your desire to stay in the NE and possibly go into GI (while still receiving great primary care training for a potential hospitalist gig) is reflected well in the order imo. I'd consider moving Ascension higher if they have better research and fellowship matching than the ones that are higher up, especially if the location is suitable. It's my personal opinion that it's better to go to a program with better research and fellowship matching than it is to go to a place that happens to have that in-house fellowship. Because not everyone gives their own people priority, and with better research and resources, you build yourself up to be a stronger candidate who can match in many places vs. someone who went somewhere with weaker research and missed out on their in-house GI while also not building up their CV to match at other places either. Just my 2 cents. But I think your top 5 is solid and will likely be where you end up.
Thank you for input! Yes, I think I will move up Ascension higher than #9 or even #8. Liked every other aspect at the Interview.

westchester is not a uni program
Yes, which is why I also indicated as strong tie on same group. I still do think they got advantage over other community programs in that regard...

Not import at all really

More important would be STEMI, stroke, thrombectomy, ECMO, transplant, advanced heart failure.....

Any suggestions on how to rank these programs? Any help will be appreciated.

SUNY Downstate
Mt sinai - elmhurst
mt sinai- queens
Jersey shore Uni MC
Richmond Uni MC, staten island
Capital health RMC trenton NJ
Beaumont hosp dearborn
Henry ford allegiance
LIJ forest hills

Can't help you that much with your list but does anyone else feel Richmond University Staten Island is interviewing everyone? I feel they are on everyone's list and I'm very wary of ranking them highly because of this. Can anyone at all provide more information about Richmond Univeristy Staten Island?

Can't help you that much with your list but does anyone else feel Richmond University Staten Island is interviewing everyone? I feel they are on everyone's list and I'm very wary of ranking them highly because of this. Can anyone at all provide more information about Richmond Univeristy Staten Island?
I haven’t interviewed there but you should be ranking if YOU find them good place to train and work at, not how other candidates are getting interviews or how the program thinks of you. Just think about how you like about the program

Reactions: 6 users
They didn’t interview me. Should I be worried?! lool

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.