This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
METHODIST HOUSTON
JACKSON MEMORIAL
U MISSOURI- COLUMBIA

Want to do cards fellowship, need visa

Members don't see this ad.

Non US IMG, need visa but I am ok with J1. Interested in Pulm/ccm and maybe cards. Would rather to be in big cities ( or closeby) and warmer climate.
1- U Miami JMH
2- UTMB
3- Rutgers NJMS
4- UConn
5- U of Oklahoma
6- Methodist Houston
7- Einstein Philly
8- Pennsylvania Hospital
9- Jacobi
10- Cook County
11- UIC Advocate Christ
12- Case Western Metrohealth
13- Bridgeport Yale
14- Norwalk Yale
15- Medstar Baltimore

What do you guys think of that ROL?

Reactions: 1 user
Non US IMG, need visa but I am ok with J1. Interested in Pulm/ccm and maybe cards. Would rather to be in big cities ( or closeby) and warmer climate.
1- U Miami JMH
2- UTMB
3- Rutgers NJMS
4- UConn
5- U of Oklahoma
6- Methodist Houston
7- Einstein Philly
8- Pennsylvania Hospital
9- Jacobi
10- Cook County
11- UIC Advocate Christ
12- Case Western Metrohealth
13- Bridgeport Yale
14- Norwalk Yale
15- Medstar Baltimore

What do you guys think of that ROL?
Nice list! But why Metrohealth is that low in your rank list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys can anyone give me some insight into henry ford macomb?

Thank you very much for your input. I am currently living in NYC but I am pretty flexible. And I don't need a visa so thats not an issue.

What do you mean by COL?
COL = cost of living
If you're flexible about moving and don't need a visa, I would rank UTSA as your #1. Good luck!

Would love some help ranking the following....

Richmond University Staten Island, NY
West Suburban Medical Oak Park, IL
Monmouth Medical Center Long Branch, Nj

I need help with ranking some of my programs:
Norwalk hospital- free housing, in house GI and pulm/crit, Yale affiliate
Mount Auburn-great for hospitalist, Harvard affiliation
Yale Waterbury- Yale affiliation

Any help will be appreciated

I need help with ranking some of my programs:
Norwalk hospital- free housing, in house GI and pulm/crit, Yale affiliate
Mount Auburn-great for hospitalist, Harvard affiliation
Yale Waterbury- Yale affiliation

Any help will be appreciated
Can’t really comment much on those but would bet mt Auburn is the best of the 3. Side note school of affiliation is irrelevant for strength of a community program. These programs should be evalated on their own merits and I see especially with less informed posters (not necessarily you) putting too much stock in this

Reactions: 1 users
Guys can anyone give me some insight into henry ford macomb?

Community hospital, didn't seem like there was any opportunity to rotate at the main facility. Didn't not furnish a copy of their recent fellowship matches, which is usually suspect. Also, the interview day was done very poorly, which left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. That being said, their facilities were very nice, and seemed as if it was in a decent neighborhood. However, ultimately not choosing to rank them.

Community hospital, didn't seem like there was any opportunity to rotate at the main facility. Didn't not furnish a copy of their recent fellowship matches, which is usually suspect. Also, the interview day was done very poorly, which left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. That being said, their facilities were very nice, and seemed as if it was in a decent neighborhood. However, ultimately not choosing to rank them.
I worked with a chief resident from Henry Ford Macomb last summer. That Person did not match into a fellowship and said main Hospital does not recognize Macomb as one of their own. I was told there are a lot better programs. That was resident was brutally honest. Just some insight.

Is it just or me, or is anyone else thinking that while the last 5 months literally flew by, that these next 32 days will be incredibly slow?

Reactions: 10 users
Can’t really comment much on those but would bet mt Auburn is the best of the 3. Side note school of affiliation is irrelevant for strength of a community program. These programs should be evalated on their own merits and I see especially with less informed posters (not necessarily you) putting too much stock in this

Can I ask your opinion about why Mount Auburn is a good option?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought I’d share my ROL list and my reasoning behind each program. I hope it helps someone and the next class! I am a USIMG and you can go through my posts and look at my stats. I have two fellowships in mind. I have been pretty much set on GI because I worked closely with GI docs before going to med school but I also really like Hemeonc and did a lot of research in sickle cell anemia internationally. I have a very strong NE bias because of my SO and family. Strong Clinical training and teaching is also very important to me. I also factored in overall fit and vibe

1) UPMC global health track (location and the best opportunities, love Pittsburgh and got along well with the residents)
2) Yale PC track (difficult because of the PC track but still gives me the best opportunities on my list).
3) Cooper (in house fellowships and strong clinical training, close enough to Pennsylvania but not the best reputation tho and weird interveiw day)
4) Drexel (location and in house fellowships, also really like philly)
5) Pennsylvania Hospital (not the best but heme onc fellowship match is great because they have well known hemeonc faculty, also my best interview day. Seemed like a great fit for me)
Northwell Staten Island (just seemed like it would be great for family life and got along well with residents)
Jersey shore (really liked my interview day and got along well with everyone)
Newark Beth Israel (great interview day)
UCONN (great place but wiill only go to Connecticut because of Yale)
Jacobi (again nyc. No. But OK reputation for fellowships and just got approval for hemeonc fellowship).

Random order after this. Needed to fill up ROL
Bridgeport Yale
Washington hospital center
St Barnabas NJ

Thought of DNR but I’m IMG so I don’t want to take any chances of going unmatched.
Downstate
Elmhurst queens
Icahn Beth Israel

By December, I had gone on a lot and researched a lot so I cancelled about 14 other interviews based on location, fatigue and just really trying not to overdo it. I probably should have gone to some like UPMC mercy but oh well.

Pls ignore the bad grammar and poor format. I’m hungry. Wishing everyone the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Just thought I’d share my ROL list and my reasoning behind each program. I hope it helps someone and the next class! I am a USIMG and you can go through my posts and look at my stats. I have two fellowships in mind. I have been pretty much set on GI because I worked closely with GI docs before going to med school but I also really like Hemeonc and did a lot of research in sickle cell anemia internationally. I have a very strong NE bias because of my SO and family. Strong Clinical training and teaching is also very important to me. I also factored in overall fit and vibe

1) UPMC global health track (location and the best opportunities, love Pittsburgh and got along well with the residents)
2) Yale PC track (difficult because of the PC track but still gives me the best opportunities on my list).
3) Cooper (in house fellowships and strong clinical training, close enough to Pennsylvania but not the best reputation tho and weird interveiw day)
5) Pennsylvania Hospital (not the best but heme onc fellowship match is great because they have well known hemeonc faculty, also my best interview day. Seemed like a great fit for me)
Northwell Staten Island (just seemed like it would be great for family life and got along well with residents)
UCONN (greag place but wiill only go to Connecticut because of Yale)
Jacobi (again nyc. No. But OK reputation for fellowships and just got approval for hemeonc fellowship).

Bridgeport Yale
St Barnabas NJ

Thought of DNR but I’m IMG so I don’t want to take any chances of going unmatched.
Downstate
Elmhurst queens
Icahn Beth Israel

By December, I had gone on a lot and researched a lot so I cancelled about 14 other interviews based on location, fatigue and just really trying not to overdo it. I probably should have gone to some like UPMC mercy but oh well.

Pls ignore the bad grammar and poor format. I’m hungry. Wishing everyone the best!

May I ask why Downstate is so low on the list? I think being a university program still it gives an edge over most other non-university community programs.

May I ask why Downstate is so low on the list? I think being a university program still it gives an edge over most other non-university community programs..

I understand my list might not make sense but I factored in a lot of things. For example pennsy is above some Uni programs on my list but I loved it there.
So yeah, I don’t really want to be in NY, and downstate is not worth going to NY for me. My interview day was not great and I know downstate pretty well. It’s not the program for me.

I understand my list might not make sense but I factored in a lot of things. For example pennsy is above some Uni programs on my list but I loved it there.
So yeah, I don’t really want to be in NY, and downstate is not worth going to NY for me. My interview day was not great and I know downstate pretty well. It’s not the program for me. .
Yeah I understand, otherwise love your list. I can only talk about Drexel and Staten Island among decent ones you put up and liked both interviews there. I thought either place will train you well. Best of luck this interview season, as a fellow IMG, really wish you will land your top 3!!!

Yeah I understand, otherwise love your list. I can only talk about Drexel and Staten Island among decent ones you put up and liked both interviews there. I thought either place will train you well. Best of luck this interview season, as a fellow IMG, really wish you will land your top 3!!!.

Thank you! I wish you all the best and hope you match to one of your top 3 too! :)

UCONN (great place but wiill only go to Connecticut because of Yale)

Bridgeport Yale
St Barnabas NJ

Downstate
Elmhurst queens
Icahn Beth Israel

This is an amazing rank list! I wish you all the best

This is an amazing rank list! I wish you all the best.

Thank you! I wish you all the best too!

And by the way, I hope we can all post where we end up matching. This thread has really been helpful to most of us IMGs. Let’s all share our journeys to encourage others. :)

I want an H1B...what would you suggest.
putting ROCHESTER GENERAL upper than JMH- U Miami and U of Missouri (both only J1)?
or putting the uni ones upper in my ROL

not really sure if that will hurt in the future for fellowship

So yeah, I don’t really want to be in NY, and downstate is not worth going to NY for me. My interview day was not great and I know downstate pretty well. It’s not the program for me. .

Congrats on your list! I wish you all the best. I love that you went by best fit rather than just rank it by best program you have. I have been fighting with what I should do vs what I really want. I really really want to go to a brand new affiliated program but I know doing that over 4 University programs would be laughed at. Not that I care about being judged, just dont want to regret it.

Hi everyone. After completing all the interviews I am done with my ROL! I wanted to share this list because it may help people who are applying next year, but also because my case is very particular. Hands down the most important factor on deciding how to rank was location. I am heavily biased because my spouse already has an academic career and moving would mean having to start all over. And if we were to move, it would have to be where we would both be happy. Also, I don't have any intention on doing fellowship. I'm interested in general medicine, so after being counseled by my mentors, it was clear that I would receive well-rounded clinical training wherever I end up. Other major factors were programs with a social mission and serving underserved populations. Having said that, would be happy anywhere on my list.

1. Boston Medical Center (PC and Cat)
2. BIDMC (PC and Cat)
3. St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
4. Mt. Auburn Hospital (PC and Cat)
5. NYU (PC and Cat)
6. Montefiore Moses (PC and Cat)
7. Icahn Mt. Sinai SLR (PC and Cat)
8. SUNY downstate
9. Jacobi Medical Center
10. Yale Categorical
11. UPMC Categorical
12. Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center
13. UPMC Mercy
14. Cook County
15. UM/JFK Palm Beach

I know it can be hard to rank certain prestigious programs below other mid-tier programs, but marriage >> prestige. Hope this gives another perspective! Good luck to everyone and hope we can all get our top choices!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Hi everyone. After completing all the interviews I am done with my ROL! I wanted to share this list because it may help people who are applying next year, but also because my case is very particular. Hands down the most important factor on deciding how to rank was location. I am heavily biased because my spouse already has an academic career and moving would mean having to start all over. And if we were to move, it would have to be where we would both be happy. Also, I don't have any intention on doing fellowship. I'm interested in general medicine, so after being counseled by my mentors, it was clear that I would receive well-rounded clinical training wherever I end up. Other major factors were programs with a social mission and serving underserved populations. Having said that, would be happy anywhere on my list.

2. BIDMC (PC and Cat)
4. Mt. Auburn Hospital
5. NYU (PC and Cat)
8. SUNY downstate
9. Jacobi Medical Center
10. Yale Categorical
11. UPMC Categorical
13. UPMC Mercy
14. Cook County
15. UM/JFK Palm Beach

I know it can be hard to rank certain prestigious programs below other mid-tier programs, but marriage >> prestige. Hope this gives another perspective! Good luck to everyone and hope we can all get our top choices!
The rationale checks out! Awesome list and I hope you get the program you want! Surprised not to see Cleveland Clinic on your list -_-

The rationale checks out! Awesome list and I hope you get the program you want! Surprised not to see Cleveland Clinic on your list -_-

There are a few programs after #15 (including CCF), but due to difficulties for S/O, not stating them here. I will be ranking them though!

2. BIDMC (PC and Cat)
4. Mt. Auburn Hospital
5. NYU (PC and Cat)
8. SUNY downstate
9. Jacobi Medical Center
10. Yale Categorical
11. UPMC Categorical
13. UPMC Mercy
14. Cook County
15. UM/JFK Palm Beach

I am shocked by this list but at the same time you have amazing programs everywhere. The 4 Boston programs are all outstanding.

Congrats on your list! I wish you all the best. I love that you went by best fit rather than just rank it by best program you have. I have been fighting with what I should do vs what I really want. I really really want to go to a brand new affiliated program but I know doing that over 4 University programs would be laughed at. Not that I care about being judged, just dont want to regret it..

I completely understand what you mean.
I tried to create a balance but my happiness and my marriage >>>> everything else, lol.
Thank you so much and I wish you all the best too! :) We got this!

2. BIDMC (PC and Cat)
4. Mt. Auburn Hospital
5. NYU (PC and Cat)
8. SUNY downstate
9. Jacobi Medical Center
10. Yale Categorical
11. UPMC Categorical
13. UPMC Mercy
14. Cook County
15. UM/JFK Palm Beach

Amazing list! Congrats! And I am with you on the marriage>>prestige thing haha.

You all have amazing ROLs. I hope we all match at one of our top 3 choices! This thread has been extremely helpful and some of the people on here are absolute gems. Good luck guys. Happy waiting!

2. BIDMC (PC and Cat)
5. NYU (PC and Cat)
8. SUNY downstate
9. Jacobi Medical Center
10. Yale Categorical
11. UPMC Categorical
13. UPMC Mercy
14. Cook County
15. UM/JFK Palm Beach

Thanks for sharing! Obviously you ranked them based on the distance from Boston :D
Good luck in the match!

I want an H1B...what would you suggest.
putting ROCHESTER GENERAL upper than JMH- U Miami and U of Missouri (both only J1)?
or putting the uni ones upper in my ROL

not really sure if that will hurt in the future for fellowship

So you decided to give up JMH, Missouri U and Houston Methodist for visa?
Facing similar challenges and would love to PM you to further discuss this matter

I heard they email the applicants they are ranking high and let them know a couple days before rank list is due.
I did get an email saying that my application is in their "Top 30%".

is it too late to send an LOI email to the programs I am ranking high? does it hurt? thanks

is it too late to send an LOI email to the programs I am ranking high? does it hurt? thanks
It might be, many programs I know have already completed their rank meeting or have created their rank list. Obviously this is not a representation of all programs, but keep in mind deadline is Feb 20 for applicants and programs. I suggest you send it, if anything it'll give you a sense of closure.

Heard some very bad things about Mercy Chicago....
Like? I would believe whatever you have to say. It is in my bottom 3 for sure, I felt the residents are overworked and no fellowships. Not to mention worst cafeteria I have ever seen.

^food is definitely one of the most important criteria for me. u better be giving me free food not some food money cap per day. cmonson.jpeg

Care to elaborate?
Like? I would believe whatever you have to say. It is in my bottom 3 for sure, I felt the residents are overworked and no fellowships. Not to mention worst cafeteria I have ever seen.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt because this is just what I heard during an interview at another program. They informed me exactly what you said where the residents are overworked and don't seem happy compared to many of the other programs in Chicago. Pretty much everyone has warned me about Mercy. I also rotated there and residents were trying to leave for other programs.

guys any insight into the following 3 programs:

Lahey clinic
Mt. Sinai (Queens campus)
NY presbyterian brooklyn methodist hospital

2. BIDMC (PC and Cat)
5. NYU (PC and Cat)
8. SUNY downstate
9. Jacobi Medical Center
10. Yale Categorical
11. UPMC Categorical
13. UPMC Mercy
14. Cook County
15. UM/JFK Palm Beach

I think you're one of the big winners on this thread, excellent interview season my friend. Thankfully for you, even the less prestigious programs on your list are #1 material for most other IMGs. I also strongly factored in location but I balanced it with reputation to an extent if the program was really that good. Location mostly won out though lol.

As we certify our rank lists, let's remember that at the end of the day, it always comes down to you. You could be at the best program with medicine rockstars teaching you, but if you don't put in your own effort and dedication (whether it's due to fatigue, depression, or anything else), you won't learn. Much the same, you could be at some place that's barely accredited with attendings who don't teach, but come out as an excellent physician. For me personally, my environment matters A LOT. If I'm at least moderately happy in my life outside of the hospital, I'm going to be a better learner. That wins out over a program's rank or rep. You alone know what factors will bring out the best in you, whether it's location, weather, friendly co-residents, or a well-reputed program. Rank accordingly and you will be successful. Good luck to everyone and God bless!

Hi. Any opinion on Englewood medical center, NJ vs Lincoln medical center, Bronx? Both sponsors J1.

Hi. Any opinion on Englewood medical center, NJ vs Lincoln medical center, Bronx? Both sponsors J1.
I interviewed at both and will only be ranking Englewood (I think it's the last on my list... still finalizing). I got the impression that leadership is very supportive and try to help as much as possible and really care about the interns/residents while at Lincoln I got the feeling of you are one more random IMG in their hospital. I personally feel I would be miserable at Lincoln. This is all based on personal perception at the time of interviewing and not on hard data like fellowship placement hahaha

Hello everyone. Any thoughts about the IM residency program at UMass, KU, UConn?? Confused about the ranking order. Considering a fellowship in Heme-Onc but not rigid. Any suggestions/ inputs will be highly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.