This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you guys rank these programs and why?

UCSF Fresno vs Kaiser Fontana vs Highland Alameda.

These are my california programs and I’m very confused.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone. Any thoughts about the IM residency program at UMass, KU, UConn?? Confused about the ranking order. Considering a fellowship in Heme-Onc but not rigid. Any suggestions/ inputs will be highly appreciated.
I would rank it in the same order you mentioned

Members don't see this ad :)
guys after ECFMG emails you that they have received verification of your details, how much longer till you receive your ECFMG certificate?

is this by mail? but when do programs receive the alert on ERAS? I am very worried of not receiving my ECFMG certificate by Feb 20th...
The electronic turnaround is pretty quick, sometimes on the same day. I do want to preface this, the goal is to get ECFMG certified before the rank meeting, not Feb 20. I suggest you reach out to your programs.

The electronic turnaround is pretty quick, sometimes on the same day. I do want to preface this, the goal is to get ECFMG certified before the rank meeting, not Feb 20. I suggest you reach out to your programs.
who would you reach out to? PC or PD?

Hi everyone. After completing all the interviews I am done with my ROL! I wanted to share this list because it may help people who are applying next year, but also because my case is very particular. Hands down the most important factor on deciding how to rank was location. I am heavily biased because my spouse already has an academic career and moving would mean having to start all over. And if we were to move, it would have to be where we would both be happy. Also, I don't have any intention on doing fellowship. I'm interested in general medicine, so after being counseled by my mentors, it was clear that I would receive well-rounded clinical training wherever I end up. Other major factors were programs with a social mission and serving underserved populations. Having said that, would be happy anywhere on my list.

1. Boston Medical Center (PC and Cat)
2. BIDMC (PC and Cat)
3. St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
4. Mt. Auburn Hospital (PC and Cat)
5. NYU (PC and Cat)
6. Montefiore Moses (PC and Cat)
7. Icahn Mt. Sinai SLR (PC and Cat)
8. SUNY downstate
9. Jacobi Medical Center
10. Yale Categorical
11. UPMC Categorical
12. Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center
13. UPMC Mercy
14. Cook County
15. UM/JFK Palm Beach

I know it can be hard to rank certain prestigious programs below other mid-tier programs, but marriage >> prestige. Hope this gives another perspective! Good luck to everyone and hope we can all get our top choices!
Bmc over bi?
I know you’ve done distance wise as the most important thing but I would put UPMC over the New York programs with the exception of NYU.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought I’d share my ROL list and my reasoning behind each program. I hope it helps someone and the next class! I am a USIMG and you can go through my posts and look at my stats. I have two fellowships in mind. I have been pretty much set on GI because I worked closely with GI docs before going to med school but I also really like Hemeonc and did a lot of research in sickle cell anemia internationally. I have a very strong NE bias because of my SO and family. Strong Clinical training and teaching is also very important to me. I also factored in overall fit and vibe

1) UPMC global health track (location and the best opportunities, love Pittsburgh and got along well with the residents)
2) Yale PC track (difficult because of the PC track but still gives me the best opportunities on my list)

Hey this is definitely one of the most impressive lists I've ever seen. I heard that PC track will not affect your future fellowship potential. After most training is exactly the same (same inpatient months), and I knew several people doing this. Both programs are very strong and will open your door to fellowships anywhere in the country.

Regarding GI fellowship, both yale and UPMC programs are very strong. Yale have lots of hepatologists, while UPMC tend to have more luminal people. Probably you can look thorough faculty profile to see where you would have more potential mentors. Another thought is both Yale and UPMC had good public health school which will help in terms of clinical research/epidemiology/global health options.

Congrats and wish you best luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Your list is fantastic and congratulation on the achievement!
I have a strong feeling with BIDMC and will personally rank it over BMC. All the people I met in BIDMC are compassionate care-givers. That said, BMC indeed cares a big under-served population but BIDMC also have their own under-served people.

Yale also has strong focus on the under-served. I know if might be crazy, but living somewhere in between and take Acela Express daily?

Hi everyone. After completing all the interviews I am done with my ROL! I wanted to share this list because it may help people who are applying next year, but also because my case is very particular. Hands down the most important factor on deciding how to rank was location. I am heavily biased because my spouse already has an academic career and moving would mean having to start all over. And if we were to move, it would have to be where we would both be happy. Also, I don't have any intention on doing fellowship. I'm interested in general medicine, so after being counseled by my mentors, it was clear that I would receive well-rounded clinical training wherever I end up. Other major factors were programs with a social mission and serving underserved populations. Having said that, would be happy anywhere on my list.

2. BIDMC (PC and Cat)
5. NYU (PC and Cat)
8. SUNY downstate
9. Jacobi Medical Center
10. Yale Categorical
11. UPMC Categorical
13. UPMC Mercy
14. Cook County
15. UM/JFK Palm Beach

I know it can be hard to rank certain prestigious programs below other mid-tier programs, but marriage >> prestige. Hope this gives another perspective! Good luck to everyone and hope we can all get our top choices!

Hey this is definitely one of the most impressive lists I've ever seen. I heard that PC track will not affect your future fellowship potential. After most training is exactly the same (same inpatient months), and I knew several people doing this. Both programs are very strong and will open your door to fellowships anywhere in the country.

Regarding GI fellowship, both yale and UPMC programs are very strong. Yale have lots of hepatologists, while UPMC tend to have more luminal people. Probably you can look thorough faculty profile to see where you would have more potential mentors. Another thought is both Yale and UPMC had good public health school which will help in terms of clinical research/epidemiology/global health options.

I thought it was the other way around, doesn't UPMC have one of the best hepatology programs in the country?

Thank you!
This definitely gives me more insight for my career goals and helps me solidify the thought process behind my list. I appreciate your input.

Hello, Hope everyone is doing good! i am in the process of making my ROL, and i need help in ranking.
I am a US IMG, planning to do a fellowship in Cards. I need a program that can better prepare me for cards fellowship. So far my ROL is as below, my main concern is which programs should be my top five.

1. Aventura Hospital - FL
2. Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
3. Danbury Hospital -CT
4. UPMC Mercy Hospital - PA
5. Kendall Regional Medical Center - FL
6. Eastern Virginia Medical School - VA
7. Wright Center - Scranton PA
8. Icahn School of Medicine Elmhurst Hospital Center - NY
9. St Mary Hospital - Waterbury CT
10. Ocala UCF - FL
11. Prince George Hospital Center - MD
12. Raritain Bay Medical Center - NJ
13. Flushing Hospital Medical Center - NY
14. Greater Baltimore Medical Center - MD
15. St Agnes - MD

Thanks to everyone in advance for the help.

Has anyone received a letter from a program that they're going to be ranked high despite not having sent them an LOI?

Bmc over bi?
I know you’ve done distance wise as the most important thing but I would put UPMC over the New York programs with the exception of NYU.

BMC because of the social mission, biggest safety net hospital in new england, and a lot of cool work with underserved and homeless populations.

I have a strong feeling with BIDMC and will personally rank it over BMC. All the people I met in BIDMC are compassionate care-givers. That said, BMC indeed cares a big under-served population but BIDMC also have their own under-served people.

Yale also has strong focus on the under-served. I know if might be crazy, but living somewhere in between and take Acela Express daily?

I loved BIDMC and agree about the people there. Had one of my best interactions with residents. Honestly I’d be thrilled in any of these two.

And that long commute is definitely not an option to me. Others may disagree ;)

Has anyone received a letter from a program that they're going to be ranked high despite not having sent them an LOI?

I did. Said “will be ranking you highly”. Didn’t think too much of it and didn’t let it affect my rank list.

Do you know how expensive taking Acela back and forth is, let alone daily between Boston and New Haven?

I know folks who commuted to CT and the middle of Long Island from NYC because they wanted to live in the city. Was a terrible idea every time even by their own admission.

1.St. Elizabeth Boston
2.St Vincent Worcester
3.Monmouth MC NJ
4.Sinai Hospital Baltimore
5.Englewood MC
6.MacNeal Chicago

Any suggestions regarding ranking?

Based off of past alumni history, most Kansas grads seem to stay in-house for fellowships whereas a much larger proportion of UConn grads go for outside programs, but they both seem to have phenomenal matches for outgoing grads. KU seems to take 1 GI in-house per year. They both seem like great programs with good vibes which make the choice difficult.

Hey. I'm in the same boat as you. confused between Uconn and KU(Heme-Onc). Did you finally decide? would love to know your thoughts.

Reg GI at KU: I happened to speak to an IMG grad from KU who didn't match in-house/ outside for GI although she had a competitive CV. The 1 person that they took in-house for GI was a KU AMG. Just some piece of information that might be helpful for you.

Hello, Hope everyone is doing good! i am in the process of making my ROL, and i need help in ranking.
I am a US IMG, planning to do a fellowship in Cards. I need a program that can better prepare me for cards fellowship. So far my ROL is as below, my main concern is which programs should be my top five.

1. Aventura Hospital - FL
2. Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
3. Danbury Hospital -CT
4. UPMC Mercy Hospital - PA
5. Kendall Regional Medical Center - FL
6. Eastern Virginia Medical School - VA
7. Wright Center - Scranton PA
8. Icahn School of Medicine Elmhurst Hospital Center - NY
9. St Mary Hospital - Waterbury CT
10. Ocala UCF - FL
11. Prince George Hospital Center - MD
12. Raritain Bay Medical Center - NJ
13. Flushing Hospital Medical Center - NY
14. Greater Baltimore Medical Center - MD
15. St Agnes - MD

Thanks to everyone in advance for the help.
heyy.. can anyone please respond to this?

Hey, I saw one of your previous posts offering advice about northeast programs.
Q: UMass vs UConn - which one has a better reputation, training and work environment?

BMC because of the social mission, biggest safety net hospital in new england, and a lot of cool work with underserved and homeless populations.

I loved BIDMC and agree about the people there. Had one of my best interactions with residents. Honestly I’d be thrilled in any of these two.

And that long commute is definitely not an option to me. Others may disagree ;)
That makes sense and I think BMC is underrated mostly due to the powerhouse programs in Boston.

What do you guys think about St.elizabeth medical center in Boston ??

anxious af till match day. hope u guys are coping well with the wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey. I'm in the same boat as you. confused between Uconn and KU(Heme-Onc). Did you finally decide? would love to know your thoughts.

Reg GI at KU: I happened to speak to an IMG grad from KU who didn't match in-house/ outside for GI although she had a competitive CV. The 1 person that they took in-house for GI was a KU AMG. Just some piece of information that might be helpful for you.
Thank you for the information. Even though I don’t know the full details, it’s understandable that they would take a KU grad over the competitive IMG applicant but it’s unsettling that she would go unmatched altogether.

In any case, I haven’t quite made the final decision and am still going back and forth but I’m leaning towards KU over UConn by a hair. Program strength, research opportunity, overall vibe, etc. seem more or less equivalent but program size and perceived program strength of and number of spots available in in-house hem/onc were some factors that favour KU. I figured a medium sized program as opposed to a very large one would allow more focused attention and support from the faculty and admin. Also, KU hem/onc seems to have a good reputation and has plenty of spots especially considering the size of class.

Hello guys, Please help me rank. Long term goal: hospitalist/cards.
-Cook County
-Jacobi
-SUNY upstate
-Rochester general
-U at buffalo main campus (not the sisters of charity one)

2. BIDMC (PC and Cat)
5. NYU (PC and Cat)
8. SUNY downstate
9. Jacobi Medical Center
10. Yale Categorical
11. UPMC Categorical
13. UPMC Mercy
14. Cook County
15. UM/JFK Palm Beach

Wow such an impressive list. I hope you get your choice! If you don't mind, would you like to share your credentials?

-Cook County
-Jacobi
-SUNY upstate
-Rochester general

Jacobi
Cook C
Rochester
Don't know about the others

-Cook County
-Jacobi
-SUNY upstate
-Rochester general
1-Cook county
2-Jacobi
3-Rochester
4-Upstate
5-Buffalo

All of them are great for a longterm goal of hospitalist. However, cardiology fellowship chances from U at buffalo aren't that great. This year only 2 out of 7 residents who applied for cardiology got in. And their own cardiology fellowship program doesn't prefer in-house residents. Not even a single in-house cards fellow this year.
Your top 4 are all solid for cards.

Last edited:
-Cook County
-Jacobi
-SUNY upstate
-Rochester general

I happened to visit some of the places you listed. They are all pretty decent programs indeed. For people interested in Card, general rule of thumb is ranking everything with inhouse Card fellowship at the top.

Hey, I saw one of your previous posts offering advice about northeast programs.
Q: UMass vs UConn - which one has a better reputation, training and work environment?

From what I've seen on this and other threads people prefer UMass but they're about the same

I happened to visit some of the places you listed. They are all pretty decent programs indeed. For people interested in Card, general rule of thumb is ranking everything with inhouse Card fellowship at the top.
Thanks. Considering no location preference, would you rank them in the same order?

Really getting confused between the following programs, interested in cards
1. LSU Shreveport ( has in house fellowships and takes it own residents. But residents don't really match outside)
2. Metrohealth /CaseWestern: in house cards fellowship. But doesn't prefer it's own grads. Has diverse fellowship match rate

From what I've seen on this and other threads people prefer UMass but they're about the same
UMass seems like a program with both AMGS and IMGS as opposed to UConn. Do you think this could be a reason?

However, UMass has the drip system, and one of the current IMGs said that the "I love the program but work hours are long, the workload is v v high and they really make you work" Is this something that I should worry about?/ Or this something true for all programs/ programs implementing the drip system?

Any inputs from anyone on the thread would be highly appreciated!

Thank you for the information. Even though I don’t know the full details, it’s understandable that they would take a KU grad over the competitive IMG applicant but it’s unsettling that she would go unmatched altogether.

In any case, I haven’t quite made the final decision and am still going back and forth but I’m leaning towards KU over UConn by a hair. Program strength, research opportunity, overall vibe, etc. seem more or less equivalent but program size and perceived program strength of and number of spots available in in-house hem/onc were some factors that favor KU. I figured a medium sized program as opposed to a very large one would allow more focused attention and support from the faculty and admin. Also, KU hem/onc seems to have a good reputation and has plenty of spots especially considering the size of class.

Yeah, I completely understand. What do you think about spending 6y in Kansas? Do you think training in mid-west leads to some sort of isolation from the north-east?? These are some general nagging thoughts.

However, I too noticed that UConn doesn't have a very impressive Heme Onc match.

Yeah, I completely understand. What do you think about spending 6y in Kansas? Do you think training in mid-west leads to some sort of isolation from the north-east?? These are some general nagging thoughts.

However, I too noticed that UConn doesn't have a very impressive Heme Onc match.

Yeah, location is what's keeping me going back and forth. Proximity to Boston and NYC are nice. KC itself isn't too bad considering its COL, weather, etc. and 3 years of residency would fly by but 6 years is a big commitment. Unsure about that one.

General opinion suggests regional bias exists for fellowship match but based on past fellowship match lists of residency programs and SDN threads, it doesn't seem to be that binding. I think it's a non-issue.

Please help me rank these IM programs. IMG here. Interested in Cardiology/Heme Onc.
1. Jacobi, NY
2. Aurora, Wisconsin
3. Bridgeport/Yale new haven, Connecticut
4. Rochester General Hospital, NY
5. Marshall University, WV
6. St Luke's Hospital, St Louis, Missouri
7. Howard Univ, DC
8. Richmond Univ Med Center, NY
9. SUNY Downstate, NY
10. St Barnabas Medical Center, NJ
11. Nassau Univ Med Center, NY
12. Chicago Med school/McHenry Centegra Hospital, Illinois
13. Texas Tech Amarillo, TX
14. Univ of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine
15. Wellstar Atlanta Medical Center, GA
16. Beaumont health, Dearborn, Michigan
17. Montefiore Wakefield, NY
18. St Peter's Univ, NJ
19. Raritan Bay-Jersey shore Perth Amboy, NJ
20. Capital Health, NJ
21. Icahn SOM Queens hosp, NY
22. Montefiore, New Rochelle, NY
23. Kingsbrook, NY
24. Flushing Hospital, NY
25. Greater Baltimore Med Center, MD
26. Guthrie/Robert Packer, PA

Thank you so much in advance!

Nice list!
Why is Richmond so high on your list? do you know their fellowship match data? Im just curious because I struggle with that program

Nice list!
Why is Richmond so high on your list? do you know their fellowship match data? Im just curious because I struggle with that program
I felt good interviewing there and they said some residents matched into competitive fellowship but not much though

Please help me rank these IM programs. IMG here. Interested in Cardiology/Heme Onc.
1. Jacobi, NY
2. Aurora, Wisconsin
3. Bridgeport/Yale new haven, Connecticut
4. Rochester General Hospital, NY
5. Marshall University, WV
6. St Luke's Hospital, St Louis, Missouri
7. Howard Univ, DC
8. Richmond Univ Med Center, NY
9. SUNY Downstate, NY
10. St Barnabas Medical Center, NJ
11. Nassau Univ Med Center, NY
12. Chicago Med school/McHenry Centegra Hospital, Illinois
13. Texas Tech Amarillo, TX
14. Univ of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine
15. Wellstar Atlanta Medical Center, GA
16. Beaumont health, Dearborn, Michigan
17. Montefiore Wakefield, NY
18. St Peter's Univ, NJ
19. Raritan Bay-Jersey shore Perth Amboy, NJ
20. Capital Health, NJ
21. Icahn SOM Queens hosp, NY
22. Montefiore, New Rochelle, NY
23. Kingsbrook, NY
24. Flushing Hospital, NY
25. Greater Baltimore Med Center, MD
26. Guthrie/Robert Packer, PA

Thank you so much in advance!

Even though SUNY downstate is a bit infamous among AMG on this forum, it seems like one of the best programs you have. I also found a previous thread about NY programs really helpful:
NYC internal medicine residency programs

tl;dr Should move SUNY downstate above Jacobi

I have not. I was told in some interviews they would be happy to see my name on match day or they would be ranking me high or some variation of that but no emails or letters saying that.

Even though SUNY downstate is a bit infamous among AMG on this forum, it seems like one of the best programs you have. I also found a previous thread about NY programs really helpful:
NYC internal medicine residency programs

tl;dr Should move SUNY downstate above Jacobi
I think the work environment at Downstate is terrible. Anybody who knows about SUNY Downstate? I didn't read good things on the thread.

I have not. I was told in some interviews they would be happy to see my name on match day or they would be ranking me high or some variation of that but no emails or letters saying that.
me too! but do you really trust these statements?

Status
Not open for further replies.