This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Match algorithm in action

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I have started my step 3 preparation. Do I need any other resource other than UW and I was reading about step 3 scores and high scores really don't matter, you have to pass it with an average score. is it true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not the only that got the post match SOAP email yeah? Cause I'm starting to freak

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not the only that got the post match SOAP email yeah? Cause I'm starting to freak
Nope we all got it. From now until the match expect more info on SOAP..

Especially on the FRIDAY before the match

jealous of aoa residency folks, military folks, carms folks and optho folks who are done with matching, and especially prematch folks. this wait blows.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
10 days to go...

whew..
FB_IMG_1551435271910.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users
eligibility for soap does not determine match results... but.. re there really people out of there who are not eligible for soap and don’t match? or thise that are eligible and match.. this makes no sense!

eligibility for soap does not determine match results... but.. re there really people out of there who are not eligible for soap and don’t match? or thise that are eligible and match.. this makes no sense!

You're getting it wrong. Being SOAP eligible simply means that you fulfill all the criteria that the NRMP requires for you participate in SOAP. This is a completely separate process from the match. The vast majority of people will be SOAP eligible if they are currently in the Match algorithm. That means that if you don't match, you will be able to apply to programs through the SOAP. For people not to be SOAP eligible, they must have an incomplete application (like incomplete steps or ECFMG verification), or on rare cases if they have committed a match violation (usually not the case). Most likely they will end up not matching because if they are not eligible for SOAP, they were not originally eligible for the match.

Hey guys, hope y’all are doing well. So just need a clarification:

If I don’t match (God forbid), and I gets surgical prelim position, I can still apply for a Categorical position the next year, correct?

It's possible to not be eligible for the match because you haven't completed the ECFMG process, but then complete the process prior to SOAP, and hence not be eligible for the match yet be able to participate in SOAP. But this is rare.

I have never wanted a pager and long white coat more!! Come onnnnn, match us all!!

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
None of my ERAS hobbies could save me from the stress of this process.

Hello guys, I hope you all are doing well, and surviving the best as possible these last days; I can barely imagine how does it feel like.

I was hoping to get some guidance out of your experience so far.

I am a Need-visa IMG from Mexico, graduated in 2018, applying for 2020 matching hopefully.
Step 1 260 and Step 2 CK 262.
NO Research and Publications.
Observerships planned at UTH and UTRGV from April to July.

I would love to have an opportunity of matching at UTSW, since I really like Texas, and I know that UTSW is a very good program. But I know that there are many applicants like me that would like to have such an opportunity.

So my doubt is, how are the credentials like of the Need-visa IMGs that you guys know were interviewed at UTSW?
Do they all have tons of research? Publications?
Do they all have LoRs from UTSW doctors?
I feel kind of clueless about the minimum or common requirements for being considered in UTSW.

Thank you in advance for your time guys, and wish you all the very best!! :)

Hello guys, I hope you all are doing well, and surviving the best as possible these last days; I can barely imagine how does it feel like.

I am a Need-visa IMG from Mexico, graduated in 2018, applying for 2020 matching hopefully.

I would love to have an opportunity of matching at UTSW, since I really like Texas, and I know that UTSW is a very good program. But I know that there are many applicants like me that would like to have such an opportunity.

So my doubt is, how are the credentials like of the Need-visa IMGs that you guys know were interviewed at UTSW?
I feel kind of clueless about the minimum or common requirements for being considered in UTSW.

Did not interview there but had friends that did. They did a rotation there hence made connections, that would be your best shot just like with any other program. Maybe they have graduates from your school? That's a plus.
Just make sure you do not have any gaps after graduation. They won't expect tons of research since you are a recent graduate and I think a letter from UT Houston will boost your app since it is in the Texas area. You could also try contacting people from your country/school at the program (residents, faculty..) and ask for advice.
Congrats on the scores and good luck! :)

If anyone is studying for Step 3 and needs a study partner for uworld, message me! Thanks!

Just do UWorld.. that's all you really need. If something's not clear, go to whatever resources you used for step 2CK. It is VERY similar to step 2CK, main difference is ccs parts and for that just use UWorld and the examples provided by USMLE. You just need to make a decision algorithm that works for you... when to send home, when to refer, when to take to ER, when to admit to ICU etc.
My biggest recommendation is take it before starting intern year! Studying right now is painful but look at it this way: you get some distraction from just waiting around for match day and you won't have to deal with trying to study OBGYN while trying to survive intern year. All of my IMG friends that have taken it during intern year say the same thing: just get it done before July 1st and forget about USMLE forever hahaha. Of course you have to study but I felt it was a very different experience compared to step 1 or 2CK because everybody just wants to cross if off their to-do list so the curve is very chill compared to the others. As a point of reference, I scored about 30pts below my CK score and that was still around 75th percentile
How long did they take to study? Thanks!

Did not interview there but had friends that did. They did a rotation there hence made connections, that would be your best shot just like with any other program. Maybe they have graduates from your school? That's a plus.
Just make sure you do not have any gaps after graduation. They won't expect tons of research since you are a recent graduate and I think a letter from UT Houston will boost your app since it is in the Texas area. You could also try contacting people from your country/school at the program (residents, faculty..) and ask for advice.

Thanks a lot for your legit reply, I really appreciate the advice and guidance. My best wishes to you!

By the way, would you be okay if I ask you to send me a conversation request just to text you after the Match day and get to know where did your UTSW-interviewed friends end up matching at? It would really mean a lot to me.
Thanks in advance for your time :)

7 more days. How are you guys keeping sane? I woke up countless times tonight. TBH the whole medical system in America needs to change this narrative of long wait times to find out important info about our future. Starting from the long wait times for the steps especially CS to match day. It's a bit nerve wracking. Who's with me?

Reactions: 4 users
7 more days. How are you guys keeping sane? I woke up countless times tonight. TBH the whole medical system in America needs to change this narrative of long wait times to find out important info about our future. Starting from the long wait times for the steps especially CS to match day. It's a bit nerve wracking. Who's with me?

You do not want to know what it’s like to try and find a position in a field where there is no match. It is not pleasant.

I'm freaking out too, this is too much lol.

I interviewed at UTSW this season. I didn’t have any LORs from UTSW and didn’t do any observerships in Texas. My Step scores are 250s/260s/pass and I have one year of research experience with one submitted paper (+5 small papers from med school). I did a three month observership at a top institution with very good LORs. I don’t think UTSW expect much research or publications if you graduated recently (my YOG is 2017). I did feel like they placed a lot of emphasis on medical school though and how well known your school is. With your scores and planned observerships, I think you stand a good chance to be interviewed and maybe tailor your personal statement to UTSW when you apply too.

I've been visiting family out of state and just eating out and playing video games. Honestly just keep yourself as busy as possible vs. trying to relax and get your mind off of it. Time moves much more quickly. For me, just knowing that there's nothing more that I can do to change the situation and that I'm ready to face whatever will happen is comforting. The wait sucks but we'll get through it just like we got through the grueling interview season.

By the way, would you be okay if I ask you to send me a conversation request just to text you after the Match day and get to know where did your UTSW-interviewed friends end up matching at? It would really mean a lot to me.
Thanks in advance for your time :)
Sure! Although CX2014 can probably help you out more since he did interview there. Thanks for the good wishes!! :)

I interviewed at UTSW this season. I didn’t have any LORs from UTSW and didn’t do any observerships in Texas. My Step scores are 250s/260s/pass and I have one year of research experience with one submitted paper (+5 small papers from med school). I did a three month observership at a top institution with very good LORs. I don’t think UTSW expect much research or publications if you graduated recently (my YOG is 2017). I did feel like they placed a lot of emphasis on medical school though and how well known your school is. With your scores and planned observerships, I think you stand a good chance to be interviewed and maybe tailor your personal statement to UTSW when you apply too.

Oh nice, I understand it a little bit better now.

One year of research is pretty good tho, plus the papers you got. I only have from August and so on to make my last "move".

I'm thinking about contacting UTSW's Research office or maybe the Chief Resident's office and see if I can get the most efficient move possible out of my remaining funds.
Unfortunately, I paid a huge amount of money to UTH for the Observership (back then I thought it was kind of normal to pay that much for an Observership), and I have not too much left.

Anyway, thanks a lot for sharing your experience, it was a pretty nice gesture of yours. All the best!!

Sure! Although CX2014 can probably help you out more since he did interview there. Thanks for the good wishes!! :)

Yeah, I just read his post. I'm going to try to make a plan now. Thanks a lot for your accessibility!

I woke up several times dreaming the weirdest **** recently.... and I run on coffee TID in daytime and melatonin 20mg in evening. Totally S-A-N-E! Trust ME1111

It is better than the alternative....

Glad I'm not the only one having crazy dreams. This week needs to fly by

How long did they take to study? Thanks!
My goal was to simply pass step 3 before Jan 2019 so that I could be eligible for an H1b visa if offered and, in my experience, 1.5ish months of lazy studying was sufficient. I did UWorld for about 1 month (on and off between interviews and research job, not very committed hahaha). Then actual focused studying for an additional 2 weeks before the first part. I only did UWorld and if I had any questions or kept getting same subject/topic wrong, I reviewed my step 2 CK notes. I scheduled part 1 and part 2 with a one week difference, so the week between part 1 and part 2, I only did the CCS portion of UWorld and downloaded a few more cases from USMLE practice materials since a resident during an interview mentioned he had gotten a case exactly like the USMLE practice material. I did not finish UWorld but I did finish all the CCS cases because that's what I felt least confident about. If it helps, I did the UWSA1 and scored 220 about 1 week before my actual test and real thing was 235+

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I keep dreaming that I match in a surgery program in Texas.... I didn't apply to surgery OR texas :shrug:
lol

Guys, one week to go!!! :whistle:

Edit: ok, a week and 4 days! :annoyed:

counting down to March 11, lol i'd rather know if i matched at this point rather than where.

Reactions: 8 users
counting down to March 11, lol i'd rather know if i matched at this point rather than where.
Yes!! The match is important. no matter where we match. I hope everyone gets good news..Pray for all of us.

My goal was to simply pass step 3 before Jan 2019 so that I could be eligible for an H1b visa if offered and, in my experience, 1.5ish months of lazy studying was sufficient. I did UWorld for about 1 month (on and off between interviews and research job, not very committed hahaha). Then actual focused studying for an additional 2 weeks before the first part. I only did UWorld and if I had any questions or kept getting same subject/topic wrong, I reviewed my step 2 CK notes. I scheduled part 1 and part 2 with a one week difference, so the week between part 1 and part 2, I only did the CCS portion of UWorld and downloaded a few more cases from USMLE practice materials since a resident during an interview mentioned he had gotten a case exactly like the USMLE practice material. I did not finish UWorld but I did finish all the CCS cases because that's what I felt least confident about. If it helps, I did the UWSA1 and scored 220 about 1 week before my actual test and real thing was 235+
Thank youu!!! I gave myself 3 weeks of full-time studying in case I have a program that offers an H1b visa (they have certain deadlines).
I have a few more questions, sorry to bother you! Did you also take UWSA 2, NBMEs? Were they predictive? (I am taking them in a few days to decide if I will take the exam on my scheduled date)
And did you do one pass of uworld or two? Also, do you know if the uw % correlates with the actual score?
Thanks a lot and congrats on the score!!! :)

I keep playing to scenarios in my head .. like they are movies.. one scenario is my reaction if I don’t match and another if I match. Too much anxiety !

Thank youu!!! I gave myself 3 weeks of full-time studying in case I have a program that offers an H1b visa (they have certain deadlines).
I have a few more questions, sorry to bother you! Did you also take UWSA 2, NBMEs? Were they predictive? (I am taking them in a few days to decide if I will take the exam on my scheduled date)
And did you do one pass of uworld or two? Also, do you know if the uw % correlates with the actual score?
Thanks a lot and congrats on the score!!! :)
Don't worry about it... ask away! For what it's worth, I think 3 weeks of dedicated studying is enough.
I didn't take USWA2 or any NBMEs, I only took USWA1 because of time constrains. Also my spouse recently gave step 3 so it helped knowing that he had scored less on USWA1 than me and passed hahaha so that was enough incentive to just go ahead and take it since I was just looking to pass. I don't know how predictive they are... my particular case in underestimated by over 15 points but I don't know what the general trend is.
I only did one pass of uworld and didn't even finish it (again time constraint) but I recently gave step 2 CK and everything was pretty fresh so I don't know if that helped. I don't know about uw% correlation with actual score, sorry! For what it's worth, I felt horrible after taking the exam and pretty sure I had failed haha but that was consistent with the rest of my step experiences
Good luck!

Don't worry about it... ask away! For what it's worth, I think 3 weeks of dedicated studying is enough.
I didn't take USWA2 or any NBMEs, I only took USWA1 because of time constrains. Also my spouse recently gave step 3 so it helped knowing that he had scored less on USWA1 than me and passed hahaha so that was enough incentive to just go ahead and take it since I was just looking to pass. I don't know how predictive they are... my particular case in underestimated by over 15 points but I don't know what the general trend is.
I only did one pass of uworld and didn't even finish it (again time constraint) but I recently gave step 2 CK and everything was pretty fresh so I don't know if that helped. I don't know about uw% correlation with actual score, sorry! For what it's worth, I felt horrible after taking the exam and pretty sure I had failed haha but that was consistent with the rest of my step experiences
Good luck!
Thank you so much!! (If you happen to have your uw% and don't mind sharing it, that would great hehe)
Best of luck with the match! :)

Thank you so much!! (If you happen to have your uw% and don't mind sharing it, that would great hehe)
Best of luck with the match! :)
I finished about 50% of uworld and had 70% correct. Thanks and good luck to you too!

This is a whole new level of anxiety :(

guys do our schools find out this friday if we matched or not? I don't want anyone knowing my fate before me

according to a reddit post which referred to a sdn 2014 thread, somehow there was a glitch or something where people were able to find out where they matched or something ahead of time. I'm probably spreading fake news.

How are you guys holding up? Time goes by so slowly :(

Status
Not open for further replies.