IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2019

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by CerebralCat, Sep 15, 2018.

1. qPCR

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm looking for at least one late IV as my Xmas gift LOL

2. qPCR

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Maybe the leadership isn't a big fan of Celtics? :(:(:(

NK9, Beastkiller and Bobbbyyyy like this.
  3. Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ^ or coldplay... let's face it... it's probably coldplay

qPCR likes this.
  4. Beastkiller

2+ Year Member

No way. It’s Boston. They would get exsiled if they don’t like Celtics.

qPCR likes this.
  5. Virgo32

hey guys, please need your suggestion, I work as a medical scribe in a big community hospital. I didn't get any IVs and now I have to decide to do something challenging to make my cv competitive. So, what should I do differently? Is a medical assistant job gives me more physician exposure and LORs than medical scribe? I work in the ER and I need IM letters for the next match.

6. Beastkiller

2+ Year Member

Did you go and see the PD at that hospital and explain your situation? Try if you haven’t done it yet.

7. freakeenyc

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    that sounds good, and potentially taking step 3 ?

8. Virgo32

PD? IM PD or ER PD?

9. Beastkiller

2+ Year Member

Try IM PD. You work in the hospital, most would give you a IV just because of that.

10. Virgo32

So, should I continue this for another year to get an IV from the program?

11. il pani

This is not true. They won't give you an interview just because of that. You have to get yourself well acquainted with the IM faculty/leadership, and possibly get involved in research, QI or other type of work in order for them to know you and assess your work ethic. Then they may consider inviting for an interview, and even so it's not guaranteed in many competitive programs

It seems like working there has not helped you so far. I would definitely change your strategy.

12. NGTY1991

I agree. I think you need more IM related stuff on yours CV rather than just fillers. Try to become a volunteer for a research study in IM and work your way up from there

13. Beastkiller

2+ Year Member

No, talk to people like right now. Be it a ED physician or IM physician, expand your networking. Introduce yourself to people. Opportunity will come just like that. Go try. Don’t give up just yet.

14. Beastkiller

2+ Year Member

Oh well, I might be too enthusiastic. But I believe there will be a chance if op go talk to people and show them that he/she has initiative. They might give him/her a chance. At worst, they say no. But even if they say no, he/she can ask for observer-ship/externership which he/she could use to really get the connection.

15. sniderwes

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anyone hear about how the Jewish Hospital of Cincinnati is? Particularly their intern year...I've searched everywhere and can hardly find anything on them.

16. rokshana

rokshana Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    is scribing all that you have done at this hospital? You have a unique opportunity in that you are part of the hospital system and can go to things that are offered to the residents that an ordinary person would not have available to them. If applying for IM, is there a residency there? have you made an effort to meet those that are involved in the residency selection...have you gone to grand rounds, morning reports, resident lectures? Even potentially rounding with the PD or assistant PDs to get in with those that make the decisions for residency selection?

have you been doing any research, done any papers,posters or presentations at regional and/or national meetings?

if you haven't done any of these things for this year, then you should do these in the next year to optimize your chances...after the interview season has ended, make an actual appointment with the IM PD or associate PD and ask them to critique your application and see what they think you need to do to improve your application and the places that you should target to apply.

If you have done these things, then talk to the attendings that you did some of these things and see what they have to say.

#4266 rokshana, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    MikMik6 likes this.
  17. rokshana

rokshana Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    is asking to do that in the middle of the interview season really showing initiative? Programs have for the most part given out there interviews and the "deadline" for sending in an application has passed for most programs as well...if he has already made friends and connections while being a scribe, then yes, this is the time to ask anyone he knows have connections, to speak for him, but to start now is a bit too little, too late...and to approach them now, in the middle of what is no doubt a busy season, could backfire.

18. hushhush88

2+ Year Member

THIS! Thank you!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NGTY1991 and Beastkiller like this.
  19. Beastkiller

2+ Year Member

I think it depends on how the msg is delivered. As long as the program is still reviewing application, he/she might still have a shot. But every other point of yours I do agree.

20. ccmscuem

ccmscuem SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    -1 Just cancelled Jamaica Hospital

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

21. IMreshopeful

5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It’s December - almost all programs I imagine are halfway through their interview seasons

22. medgirl333

Hey, is ERAS working for you guys?

23. ccmscuem

Medical Student
    nope, the circle keeps spinning

24. medgirl333

Yeah, same here.

25. rokshana

rokshana Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    so let, me ask you, seriously, when do you think that it is time to tell someone on it is too late, that there application is not strong enough, or that they simply are not a competitive enough to apply? When is it that the advice of hope and encouragement turns to false hope and poor guidance to someone?

sss2g2 and Eyre like this.
  26. NGTY1991

If you really want to “give guidance to someone”, you suggest how to improve. Not beat them down and tell them they’re not good enough

hushhush88 and Res_Hopeful like this.
  27. freakeenyc

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yo ccm. is Jamaica Hospital prematch?

28. ccmscuem

Medical Student
    yep

29. rokshana

rokshana Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    but what is they aren't really good enough? Are you really doing a service to someone that graduated 10 years ago, needs a visa, has no USCE and step score that took 3 tries to pass and their best score is 210 to tell them that there is something that they can do to improve their application?

say I wanted to be basketball player on the NBA level....but i'm 5'0" and have a 5" jump...and I'm a female...is it right to encourage me to do so? Sure i could maybe practice and get that jump to be 5' but there are things I cannot change that will allow me to achieve that personal goal.

sure, the applications on this thread aren't as drastic as the example above, but > 3-5 years YOG, at mean or below mean steps scores, repeated tries, needing a visa are things you cannot change...1 or 2 of these things may not keep you from getting IVs or even matched, but they are BIG hurdles to overcome...and without having done things that may overcome these hurdles, is it appropriate to encourage someone to spend tens of thousands of dollars and immense amount of time for what may amount to a snowball's chance in hell?

and then there are the things that, as an applicant they have control, and yet haven't done...it is well known that, as an I/FMG, you should have everything...LoR, Step scores, ERAS app, done and submitted on the very 1st day to optimize your application and yet there are people here asking if they can submit their application now, in DECEMBER, and still have a chance...that tells me that either you have not made the effort to find out what is needed to apply for the match as an I/FMG or just don't care...either way it shows poor insight and judgement...and not something you want in an intern or resident. And yes, judgements are made that simply...realize that first impression are hard to shake and they take only seconds for someone to make.

sss2g2, qPCR, CD16 and 3 others like this.
  30. NGTY1991

Thanks for such a objective and positive tone! I agree, some things aren’t modifiable but I think there’s a lot of strange things that have happened where we know those who have gotten in with absolutely atrocious CVS, who knows how? That’s probably the reason some people expect continuous support telling them to continue pursuing and we can only do our best to tell them our opinions. I highly doubt anyone is silly enough to take advice from a public forum about a major aspect of their lives but like I said, we can only give percentages on possibilities but absolutes cannot be defined by anyone

hushhush88 likes this.
  31. Jesse white

The 10 Shortest Players in NBA History - Sports Management Degree Hub.. I'd say you didn't try hard enough...

Obviously the point is something else. So, if you don't mind me asking, what were your credentials when you applied and how did you manage to stay realistic during your interview trails and match period? Don't get me wrong, I am alllll for being realistic, and I agree with some of the advises you have for us. Your approach is more like " You have stage 3 cancer, you're dying. Face the truth" sort of approach as opposed to stating the facts and pointing out that its unlikely for a person with stage 3 cancer to live (No, I don't have sources to support this statement). Yeah, so could you please enlighten us with your journey to getting into residency and beyond?

And if you are really looking to help people be realistic..Dr. Barone's website it might be a good platform to share your views specially since he has thousands of followers. He often posts match success stories by old grads and those with low scores etc...etc, could be a 1 in a 10000 chance, but its still a chance!

#4281 Jesse white, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  32. CD16

Hey guys!
    Quick update we decided not to take the prematch! Such a difficult decision to make not there is nothing to do but hope for the best. Thank you for your inputs.

NK9, Simplyaroy, il pani and 4 others like this.
  33. Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

CD16 likes this.
  34. NGTY1991

Heck YEAH! We're all rooting for you bud! Good luck in the match

CD16 likes this.
  35. qPCR

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Finance would be an issue at some point. If it's a 1 in 1,0000 rate to match, I doubt it is worthy of all the efforts to put together the application.

36. medgirl333

Best of luck to you guys!!

CD16 likes this.
  37. qPCR

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Keep us updated! From the stats you posted, you both will probably get into a better programs

CD16 likes this.
  38. NGTY1991

Financial issues are the laziest of excuses if you really want something in my opinion. There are hunndreds of jobs one can do and especially one smart enough to be in medicine can do anything from consulting to tutoring etc. So no 1/100000 is still not a good excuse to not keep trying.

39. Jesse white

Yes of course! I agree, but I think that is up to to the candidate to decide. For all we know, the applicant could by filthy rich and their sole aim in life is to get into residency and money isn't an issue. So, all we can do is point out facts and leave it to them to decide if its worth it. I definitely can't afford that, but who's to say another applicant cant?

NGTY1991 likes this.
  40. qPCR

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Maybe it's just me, but my application definitely resulted in a huge debt :(:(:(

NGTY1991 likes this.
  41. NGTY1991

Same here friend... same here. But we gotta keep going!

42. rokshana

rokshana Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    which is why people buy lottery tickets.

#4292 rokshana, Dec 6, 2018
    freakeenyc and qPCR like this.
  43. Jesse white

Trust me, my friend. Most of us are in a similar situation. The above post was just to make a point..

NGTY1991 likes this.
  44. ashar008

2+ Year Member

Guys, is it a possibility that any invites are handed out in December?

45. NGTY1991

How is working and buying lottery tickets the same thing...

46. freakeenyc

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hasn't really applied to me but SDN has a thing in the resources section called SCUTWORK residency reviews which seem to have genuine reviews on places

47. Res_Hopeful

My friends last year couples matched. They both had a fail on Step 2, 22x on retake, 2 year YOG. They took the time after their fail to build up their CV with volunteering, research, and clinical experience. They only got 1 interview for IM at a University program, and they blew them away in the interview and went back for a second look (VERY IMPORTANT if you have <5 interviews), and ended up matching with them. It's not about how many interviews you have, its about how well you perform in the interview. For most programs, or at least all the programs I've interviewed at thus far, the invite means that they believe you have the qualifications to be at their program, and the interview is just to see how well you will fit in and get along with all the staff and residents. Half of my interviews the only question asked was, "Tell me about yourself."

To sum up, even if your credentials are low, all you need is 1 great interview to match. If you don't get interviews, look at your application and figure out what area you are lacking experience and expand your CV in order to get your foot in the door and get invites, something that will make your app stand out among the thousands. If you interviewed and didn't match, do the same as above, but also look at your interviewing skills and see if there is room for improvement (i.e. being more personable). Maybe getting out to some social events over the next year or setting up practice interviews throughout the year will help with your communication skills.

48. Res_Hopeful

There are invites in December every year, but they are few and far between, so I wouldn't count on it. Try sending out LOIs to community programs who might have applicants cancelling last minute for December/January interviews. I keep looking at the interview dates on ERAS for the programs I was invited to. The University programs stay full, but the community ones have openings that change day to day.

49. rokshana

rokshana Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I remember watching both spud webb and muggsy bogues play...and all those on that list are men, but i get it...

I have written about my credentials and interview season before, but essentially there were things that i knew were out of my reach as a US -IMG...First I knew going to by going to a Caribbean school that it was my last chance to become a doctor...I applied 3 cycles to the US schools (MD and then later MD and a, at the time, new DO school( for their charter class) and waited listed all 3 years (accepted to the DO) and short of getting a Ph.D, there was not much i could do to change my application - my UG GPA was crap (2.7 ) and my G GPA was great (3.8), but that UG GPA still sways programs, my MCAT > 30 (which at the time was over the 28 needed to get into med school) and had pulled out all the connections (including the past president of a med school) i could to help me. I made sure I picked an off shore school that had a good track record (SGU) and busted my butt to be at the top of my class (a great GPA from an off shore school doesn't help that much, but a mediocre or bad GPA hurts a lot...P may = MD, but doesn't mean you get a residency spot) and made sure that I got competitive Step scores, at least a SD above the mean and the Step 2 CS was higher than Step I (Kaplan course, and lots of World questions) and then looked to see what I was interested in, and what i could realistically achieve...my Master's is in reproductive biology so REI was what I came into med school thinking I would do...but I also found radiology and pathology interesting as well. I researched the options, did electives early in my 4th year to see whether my perceptions met reality...I found out that REI was an uber competitive fellowship for ob/gyn and that of the some 60+ spots out there, very few went to I/FMGs and doing a rotation in gen endocrinology let me know that i liked general endo just as much. Speaking to residents and PDs in IM and radiology, i found out that my application was competitive for university IM programs but only for community radiology programs....and I'm an academic at heart and that I personally wanted to be at a university . I was realistic in knowing that i needed to apply to a lot of programs to get at least 15 IVS (at the time, NRMP data showed that to have a 95% chance of matching, you needed 15 programs on the ROL) so applied to (at the time a lot) 60 programs and hoping i would get a 20-25% return...got and went to 20 interviews- ranked 18, but went to EVERY interview i received and the 2 that i ultimately did not rank where places that i truly would have rather scrambled (pre SOAP) than match at (one was that bad, the other on the west coast and just did not want to live out that far), but would have ranked if i didn't have the luxury of having at least 15 to rank. And sure I applied to reach schools and most very politely sent me rejections (MGH was sent on very nice stationary :) ), but i expected the rejections.

Fellowship was easier, since residency and how you perform plays a bigger role in the selection process, but where you end up for residency can make a difference on how easy or how hard it is to develop an impressive CV. The good thing for me was that the more competitive fellowships (GI, Cards, Hem/Onc) were not of interest for me, so getting an Endocrine fellowship was not so difficult...there are a lot of I/FMGs in leadership so more willing to give a chance to another I/FMG.

And the comparison is more like you have stage IV cancer, and hospice is an option for you that will give you some peace and dignity as you are dying with the chance to see your loved ones in your terms...of course there is chemo that extend your life by a few days...some people will take chemo, but others will choose hospice...but the information needs to be given to them so they know they have a choice. Here it seems that no one wants to hear that hospice is a choice.

I'm not saying you don't take the 1 in 10,000 or 1 in a million chance, but you need to realize that realistically you are buying a lotto ticket when applying with a sub par or incomplete application when it comes to getting a residency spot...it was hard 10 years ago, its even harder now...though next year with the merged ACGME/AOA match will be an interesting one for I/FMGs.

#4299 rokshana, Dec 6, 2018
  50. rokshana

rokshana Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    people buy lottery ticket for the 1 in a 300,000,000 chance to win 500 million dollars....some people will spend thousands of dollars in lottery tickets for a not realistic chance to become a multi millionaire...sure someone does win, but the liklihood of it really happening? eh...(not to say I haven't bought those tickets myself...)

qPCR likes this.