This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true, you have a 20-30% chance of matching. However, take this lightly, the mean number of contiguous ranks for unmatched applicants is still 1.9-2.3 depending on visa status. So having 1, you still have less than the average UNmatched applicant. There's still a chance, but you will need luck.
Well, I have 3 for now...Even if I get couple more due to cancellations (if I am lucky enough)..that will be 5 and I am worried about my chances...

Members don't see this ad.

Because it looks at statistical averages. It doesn’t always take into account an individual IMGs competitiveness. So you have to tailor for your situation.

The NRMP site now includes an interactive Charting Outcomes. You put in your information, and it shows you your likely outcomes. It's not perfect, can't really assess the quality / value of USCE, or overall performance in medical school.

The trollest rejection i got so far was one which required opening an attachment, forget which program that was. but I laughed afterward. best ones are the ones that say it in the heading amiright...

For reals. I end up sending a bunch of rejections. Should I put REJECTED!!!!11!!1! in the subject line? OK, perhaps something less ridiculous, but clear that you don't have to open the email at all?

hey guys, please need your suggestion, I work as a medical scribe in a big community hospital. I didn't get any IVs and now I have to decide to do something challenging to make my cv competitive. So, what should I do differently? Is a medical assistant job gives me more physician exposure and LORs than medical scribe? I work in the ER and I need IM letters for the next match.

This is difficult to answer, as you haven't put your credentials on the thread for people to really look at. One post mentions that you have a GC, average scores, YOG 2014. Another says you have low scores. Another says you have "red flags". What to do really depends upon what your application looks like.

Financial issues are the laziest of excuses if you really want something in my opinion. There are hundreds of jobs one can do and especially one smart enough to be in medicine can do anything from consulting to tutoring etc. So no 1/100000 is still not a good excuse to not keep trying.

False hope can be a huge problem. I think there's real value to telling people that their chances of getting a spot are very low. Many people would make the informed choice to stop applying if they knew their chances were 1/100,000. If that were really the case, and each application cycle was independent, it would take 69,314 application cycles to have a 50% chance of matching. But it's a decision that each person needs to make. Perhaps instead of saying "you have no chance of getting a spot", we could say "you have a very low chance of getting a spot. Although you could consider continuing to try, you should also explore other options". Some people respond better to direct, unambiguous advice.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys,

My first time posting here, I had a question about visa and found this amazing forum online. It seems to be very helpful. If anybody can give me a help with a question that came up to me I would really appreciate.
I am ECFMG certified and have already done my step 3 and passed.
My favorite program only sponsors J1 visa, but I am very interested in getting an H1B visa.

Do you think it is a good idea to ask during the interview or afterward if they would have an exemption, in the case that I pay for all the taxes and process, to apply for an H1B visa? Or do you think this is a very delicate question during an interview and can damage my chances to match there with a J1 visa?

Thank you very much and best of luck for all of you, guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

My first time posting here, I had a question about visa and found this amazing forum online. It seems to be very helpful. If anybody can give me a help with a question that came up to me I would really appreciate.
I am ECFMG certified and have already done my step 3 and passed.
My favorite program only sponsors J1 visa, but I am very interested in getting an H1B visa.

Do you think it is a good idea to ask during the interview or afterward if they would have an exemption, in the case that I pay for all the taxes and process, to apply for an H1B visa? Or do you think this is a very delicate question during an interview and can damage my chances to match there with a J1 visa?

Thank you very much and best of luck for all of you, guys!

It’s a million dollar question.

If they say j1 only chances of H are very low, and it’s not usually down to money.

Even programs that dangle a H will often push people onto a J when it comes to it.

My personal approach is to not bring it up in an interview, too high stakes. I did squeeze it in once when they asked what I’m looking for in a program, after saying a bit about teaching, support etc I dropped in “of lower importance to me is the visa offered by the program, I’m eligbale for both H1B and J1, but I have a prefernace for H1B, have you had success offering the H1?” Make sure not to come across as someone who represents a potential visa problem

To which they answered they much rather Js

You can always email the co-ord and ask for the details of the immigration liaison.

I remember watching both spud webb and muggsy bogues play...and all those on that list are men, but i get it...

I have written about my credentials and interview season before, but essentially there were things that i knew were out of my reach as a US -IMG...First I knew going to by going to a Caribbean school that it was my last chance to become a doctor...I applied 3 cycles to the US schools (MD and then later MD and a, at the time, new DO school( for their charter class) and waited listed all 3 years (accepted to the DO) and short of getting a Ph.D, there was not much i could do to change my application - my UG GPA was crap (2.7 ) and my G GPA was great (3.8), but that UG GPA still sways programs, my MCAT > 30 (which at the time was over the 28 needed to get into med school) and had pulled out all the connections (including the past president of a med school) i could to help me. I made sure I picked an off shore school that had a good track record (SGU) and busted my butt to be at the top of my class (a great GPA from an off shore school doesn't help that much, but a mediocre or bad GPA hurts a lot...P may = MD, but doesn't mean you get a residency spot) and made sure that I got competitive Step scores, at least a SD above the mean and the Step 2 CS was higher than Step I (Kaplan course, and lots of World questions) and then looked to see what I was interested in, and what i could realistically achieve...my Master's is in reproductive biology so REI was what I came into med school thinking I would do...but I also found radiology and pathology interesting as well. I researched the options, did electives early in my 4th year to see whether my perceptions met reality...I found out that REI was an uber competitive fellowship for ob/gyn and that of the some 60+ spots out there, very few went to I/FMGs and doing a rotation in gen endocrinology let me know that i liked general endo just as much. Speaking to residents and PDs in IM and radiology, i found out that my application was competitive for university IM programs but only for community radiology programs....and I'm an academic at heart and that I personally wanted to be at a university . I was realistic in knowing that i needed to apply to a lot of programs to get at least 15 IVS (at the time, NRMP data showed that to have a 95% chance of matching, you needed 15 programs on the ROL) so applied to (at the time a lot) 60 programs and hoping i would get a 20-25% return...got and went to 20 interviews- ranked 18, but went to EVERY interview i received and the 2 that i ultimately did not rank where places that i truly would have rather scrambled (pre SOAP) than match at (one was that bad, the other on the west coast and just did not want to live out that far), but would have ranked if i didn't have the luxury of having at least 15 to rank. And sure I applied to reach schools and most very politely sent me rejections (MGH was sent on very nice stationary :) ), but i expected the rejections.

Fellowship was easier, since residency and how you perform plays a bigger role in the selection process, but where you end up for residency can make a difference on how easy or how hard it is to develop an impressive CV. The good thing for me was that the more competitive fellowships (GI, Cards, Hem/Onc) were not of interest for me, so getting an Endocrine fellowship was not so difficult...there are a lot of I/FMGs in leadership so more willing to give a chance to another I/FMG.

And the comparison is more like you have stage IV cancer, and hospice is an option for you that will give you some peace and dignity as you are dying with the chance to see your loved ones in your terms...of course there is chemo that extend your life by a few days...some people will take chemo, but others will choose hospice...but the information needs to be given to them so they know they have a choice. Here it seems that no one wants to hear that hospice is a choice.

I'm not saying you don't take the 1 in 10,000 or 1 in a million chance, but you need to realize that realistically you are buying a lotto ticket when applying with a sub par or incomplete application when it comes to getting a residency spot...it was hard 10 years ago, its even harder now...though next year with the merged ACGME/AOA match will be an interesting one for I/FMGs.
Interesting. Do you think this merging of ACGME/AOA will definitely hurt the img chances?

If they say j1 only chances of H are very low, and it’s not usually down to money.

Even programs that dangle a H will often push people onto a J when it comes to it.

My personal approach is to not bring it up in an interview, too high stakes. I did squeeze it in once when they asked what I’m looking for in a program, after saying a bit about teaching, support etc I dropped in “of lower importance to me is the visa offered by the program, I’m eligbale for both H1B and J1, but I have a prefernace for H1B, have you had success offering the H1?” Make sure not to come across as someone who represents a potential visa problem

You can always email the co-ord and ask for the details of the immigration liaison.

Thank you, yurtboat! I think this is a smart approach. Good luck for us!

so let, me ask you, seriously, when do you think that it is time to tell someone on it is too late, that there application is not strong enough, or that they simply are not a competitive enough to apply? When is it that the advice of hope and encouragement turns to false hope and poor guidance to someone?
For first, I’ll never tell people it’s too late to talk to people. At this point, it’s about trying everything and giving it 100%. I don’t think the op had anything to lose if he did go up and ask. We apparently have different philosophy about how to make connection. The US society I understand would not hold going up and ask for opportunity as negative. I think I am giving encouragement other than false hope. Also, I advice op to do so because if I were in his/her position, I will do the same.

Base line, if you have nothing to lose, why not give it a try? This is not false hope. But if you want to call this bad advice, please go ahead. Apparently, we have different opinions about that too.

And lady, I don’t know if you are being really painfully frank (and not realizing how hard your words came out) or you just like to make people feel uncomfortable. I felt like I was being scolded by school discipline for trying to be supportive.

Reactions: 1 users
the aoa acgme merge thing started this year right? i feel like it def would have an impact but in what way no idea yet

Interesting. Do you think this merging of ACGME/AOA will definitely hurt the img chances?
actually no....i think it may end up helping...something like 800-900 spots go unfilled in the AOA match every year and while not every AOA program will transition over to the ACGME match, a majority of them will. Now spots that MD applicants were not able to apply to will be available to both next year...will they be receptive to the I/FMG applicant? who knows? On one hand, it gives programs that don't fill a chance to fill, but now DO students won't have to pick the AOA match over the ACGME match and may be more likely to interview and rank the old AOA programs as well as any ACGME programs they interview with...it may be similar to when the ACGME programs went "all in" a few years ago...the I/FMG "match rate" look like it took a big jump, but that was because there were so many more spots in the match that year that traditionally pre matched those spots.

For first, I’ll never tell people it’s too late to talk to people. At this point, it’s about trying everything and giving it 100%. I don’t think the op had anything to lose if he did go up and ask. We apparently have different philosophy about how to make connection. The US society I understand would not hold going up and ask for opportunity as negative. I think I am giving encouragement other than false hope. Also, I advice op to do so because if I were in his/her position, I will do the same.

Base line, if you have nothing to lose, why not give it a try? This is not false hope. But if you want to call this bad advice, please go ahead. Apparently, we have different opinions about that too.

And lady, I don’t know if you are being really painfully frank (and not realizing how hard your words came out) or you just like to make people feel uncomfortable. I felt like I was being scolded by school discipline for trying to be supportive.

that is Dr. Lady to you...you might as well have said "honey, let me explain something to you"...until that point, your post was pretty good....I find it interesting that in the same post that you are essentially calling me mean, you try to diminish me - though at least you got the gender right. FYI, in the US society thatI have grown up in, its never appropriate to call someone "lady"...in the South, ma'am is ok, other parts of the country not so much..."ma'am" is respectful..."lady" never is...

but really? you felt like you are being scolded because I asked you a question? Many people still utilize the Socratic method of teaching...had an attending in fellowship who scared the crap out of me because of the questions, but I most definitely learned from her...and requested to work with her despite the fear. And that was in person, not on the internet.

i don't disagree with that its never too late to talk to people...i called PCs at the programs i applied to up to the last week of the interview season (and got an interview out of it to boot!), but i didn't initiate contact halfway through the season either...

Last edited:
that is Dr. Lady to you...you might as well have said "honey, let me explain something to you"...until that point, your post was pretty good....I find it interesting that in the same post that you are essentially calling me mean, you try to diminish me - though at least you got the gender right. FYI, in the US society thatI have grown up in, its never appropriate to call someone "lady"...in the South, ma'am is ok, other parts of the country not so much..."ma'am" is respectful..."lady" never is...

i don't disagree with that its never too late to talk to people...i called PCs at the programs i applied to up to the last week of the interview season (and got an interview out of it to boot!), but i didn't initiate contact halfway through the season either...
Umm...Probably because you try to scold me for being supportive? You might mean well, but man, do you have to always be so harsh? On a person who is just trying to do good? Yes, you are a doctor and yes you have achieved what everybody else dream to achieve but I am a human being who have feelings.

Reactions: 1 user
Umm...Probably because you try to scold me for being supportive? You might mean well, but man, do you have to always be so harsh? On a person who is just trying to do good? Yes, you are a doctor and yes you have achieved what everybody else dream to achieve but I am a human being who have feelings.

an enabler is also supportive...its not always the best thing and yes, you can be too supportive. Do you really think applying now, half way through the interview season, past the point of the application deadline is a good idea?

Members don't see this ad :)

Several interviews forced me to pick a preferred visa type...I hope they won't rank me lower on the list because of my preference :depressed::depressed::depressed:

an enabler is also supportive...its not always the best thing and yes, you can be too supportive. Do you really think applying now, half way through the interview season, past the point of the application deadline is a good idea?
No. But op has already applied, I presumed. He/she just need to ask about his application status. Just to Make people aware that he/she is applying to that program. I repeat, you might meant well but your words really hurt! Maybe try to say it another way just so that the receiving end, meaning me wouldn’t take it so hard. Maybe try: Yea but to prepare for the worst, it wouldn’t be a big chance that the op will get an interview being him/her started the conversation so late.

FYI, in the US society thatI have grown up in, its never appropriate to call someone "lady"...in the South, ma'am is ok, other parts of the country not so much..."ma'am" is respectful..."lady" never is...

Oh no...I addressed to lots of people on my interview trail with "ma'am"
Just googled it and realized there's some culture difference among the States

Oh no...I addressed to lots of people on my interview trail with "ma'am"
Just googled it and realized there's some culture difference among the States
lol, its ok, in some parts of the country (NE and West coast I've noticed) ma'am is used as a term of respect to an elderly woman...the first reaction is "don't call me ma'am...i'm not old enough to be a ma'am!! In the South, we are taught to call everyone ma'am or sir...in the South an older woman is called Miz First name by those younger than her...being called ma'am doesn't phaze me, but the Miz Rokshana by someone who is not 10 years old will take me aback little :)

overall, though, saying sir and ma'am won't get you in trouble.

So if you called some programs and they told you they will review your application, what do you do next? Do you just wait? Or is it okay to call again? If so, after how long since your last conversation? I am a little desperate here lol

No. But op has already applied, I presumed. He/she just need to ask about his application status. Just to Make people aware that he/she is applying to that program. I repeat, you might meant well but your words really hurt! Maybe try to say it another way just so that the receiving end, meaning me wouldn’t take it so hard. Maybe try: Yea but to prepare for the worst, it wouldn’t be a big chance that the op will get an interview being him/her started the conversation so late.

well your presumption was wrong

Is there any chance applying this late. US-IMG, Delayed because of late CK and slow dean's office to complete application. Is it a little too late or do I have a chance?

has not applied...as of Sunday, December 2nd...

a person who applied, sure, as i posted previously, be proactive and talk to people, get other people to stand up for you, be persistent until the end of the interview season...but to APPLY?

So if you called some programs and they told you they will review your application, what do you do next? Do you just wait? Or is it okay to call again? If so, after how long since your last conversation? I am a little desperate here lol

what did they say to you when you called? That they were still reviewing applications? That you are still being considered?

When I called programs and they didn't know they status of my application, i asked when would be a good time for me to call them back...that way they knew i would call, but in the time frame that they though appropriate.

at this point, I would call back ~ 4 weeks after your last call, though if you are gonna call this month, I'd do it before Christmas week or after the 1st week in January...the time between Christmas and New Year's, nothing happens.

We are talking about different people. I am referring to Virgo32.

uh, this was my response to virgo32

hey guys, please need your suggestion, I work as a medical scribe in a big community hospital. I didn't get any IVs and now I have to decide to do something challenging to make my cv competitive. So, what should I do differently? Is a medical assistant job gives me more physician exposure and LORs than medical scribe? I work in the ER and I need IM letters for the next match.
is scribing all that you have done at this hospital? You have a unique opportunity in that you are part of the hospital system and can go to things that are offered to the residents that an ordinary person would not have available to them. If applying for IM, is there a residency there? have you made an effort to meet those that are involved in the residency selection...have you gone to grand rounds, morning reports, resident lectures? Even potentially rounding with the PD or assistant PDs to get in with those that make the decisions for residency selection?

have you been doing any research, done any papers,posters or presentations at regional and/or national meetings?

if you haven't done any of these things for this year, then you should do these in the next year to optimize your chances...after the interview season has ended, make an actual appointment with the IM PD or associate PD and ask them to critique your application and see what they think you need to do to improve your application and the places that you should target to apply.

If you have done these things, then talk to the attendings that you did some of these things and see what they have to say.

He never asked about calling or talking to people about IVs, he asked how to improve his CV...and mid season, there isn't much he can do now to improve his CV, since that takes time and he does not realistically have the time now to make a noticeable improvement to his CV.

what did they say to you when you called? That they were still reviewing applications? That you are still being considered?

When I called programs and they didn't know they status of my application, i asked when would be a good time for me to call them back...that way they knew i would call, but in the time frame that they though appropriate.

at this point, I would call back ~ 4 weeks after your last call, though if you are gonna call this month, I'd do it before Christmas week or after the 1st week in January...the time between Christmas and New Year's, nothing happens.

The programs I am talking about specifically asked my AAMC ID # and told me they will review my application

uh, this was my response to virgo32

is scribing all that you have done at this hospital? You have a unique opportunity in that you are part of the hospital system and can go to things that are offered to the residents that an ordinary person would not have available to them. If applying for IM, is there a residency there? have you made an effort to meet those that are involved in the residency selection...have you gone to grand rounds, morning reports, resident lectures? Even potentially rounding with the PD or assistant PDs to get in with those that make the decisions for residency selection?

have you been doing any research, done any papers,posters or presentations at regional and/or national meetings?

if you haven't done any of these things for this year, then you should do these in the next year to optimize your chances...after the interview season has ended, make an actual appointment with the IM PD or associate PD and ask them to critique your application and see what they think you need to do to improve your application and the places that you should target to apply.

If you have done these things, then talk to the attendings that you did some of these things and see what they have to say.

He never asked about calling or talking to people about IVs, he asked how to improve his CV...and mid season, there isn't much he can do now to improve his CV, since that takes time and he does not realistically have the time now to make a noticeable improvement to his CV.
Yes, the guy asking about start applying now. He shouldn’t. It’s too late. But my advice is only to Virgo32, I encourage him/her to talk to people in the hospital he worked at. For some reason. You thought I am talking about start applying now. Sorry. Seemed like we cat fight for no reason.

how long ago? I'd give then a few weeks and then call them back, politely remind them that you had talked to them about your application and wanted to just check on the status of your application.

It’s been a week.

Sounds good. Thank you!

+1 Wright Center Scranton (after a long break)

Reactions: 10 users
No its not, but you don't have to jam it down their throat what an idiot they are for asking that question. Instead of beating them down, try building them up for once. Like saying that it would most likely be a waste of money and instead save that money for next year and focus on A, B, C of their application for the next cycle, cause that will give them a great shot at getting invites next year. Every PD is different, some put more emphasis on scores, and others put emphasis on extracurricular and research. Just because what you think makes a good candidate, doesn't mean that is the be all tell all. I've had friends with scores in the 21x or with a failed attempt match in IM with only 1 or 2 interviews. Put scores aside and focus on HELPING people build up weak spots in their app....leave the judging to the PDs.

Reactions: 4 users
No its not, but you don't have to jam it down their throat what an idiot they are for asking that question. Instead of beating them down, try building them up for once. Like saying that it would most likely be a waste of money and instead save that money for next year and focus on A, B, C of their application for the next cycle, cause that will give them a great shot at getting invites next year. Every PD is different, some put more emphasis on scores, and others put emphasis on extracurricular and research. Just because what you think makes a good candidate, doesn't mean that is the be all tell all. I've had friends with scores in the 21x or with a failed attempt match in IM with only 1 or 2 interviews. Put scores aside and focus on HELPING people build up weak spots in their app....leave the judging to the PDs.
I think you need to go back re read my responses...the only one that has called anyone an idiot is you. And the only one making personal attacks is you. Beastkiller argued with me but didn’t stoop to that...you did. Who is really the one trying to jam their opinion down someone’s throat?

And again, there is an ignore button...no one is making you see my posts let alone respond to them.

And interestingly enough the 2 posters that my responses were for have not said anything and beastkiller noted that we were talking at cross purposes...the only one that needs to ease up seems to be you.

I think you need to go back re read my responses...the only one that has called anyone an idiot is you. And the only one making personal attacks is you. Beastkiller argued with me but didn’t stoop to that...you did. Who is really the one trying to jam their opinion down someone’s throat?

And again, there is an ignore button...no one is making you see my posts let alone respond to them.

And interestingly enough the 2 posters that my responses were for have not said anything and beastkiller noted that we were talking at cross purposes...the only one that needs to ease up seems to be you.
I didn't call anyone an idiot, but you have been insinuating this to people in your responses all season. I made one personal "attack" in my initial response to you, but since then the only opinion I've been jamming down your throat is how to be a descent human being and talk to people with respect...obviously I've failed thus far with my tough love and common sense approaches. Nevertheless I will keep pointing out your rudeness for the rest of the season instead of sitting by and watching you troll and berate people on here about how much their application sucks and how they need to be "realistic" and give up instead of offering real advice and being productive.

Does anyone know if any of the following are still rolling out invites:
cook county Chicago
Houston Methodist
SUNY upstate and downstate
Rochester general NY

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I didn't call anyone an idiot, but you have been insinuating this to people in your responses all season. I made one personal "attack" in my initial response to you, but since then the only opinion I've been jamming down your throat is how to be a descent human being and talk to people with respect...obviously I've failed thus far with my tough love and common sense approaches. Nevertheless I will keep pointing out your rudeness for the rest of the season instead of sitting by and watching you troll and berate people on here about how much their application sucks and how they need to be "realistic" and give up instead of offering real advice and being productive.
how you infer my posts says more about your thought process than the meaning of my posts...does always seem that those that protest the most are the ones that feel the posts are aimed at them...you joined less than a month ago and have post here what? 11 times and half of them are about me...have to admit i got sucked in by the trolling ...

honey, i've been here for a number of years with a number of posts...i may be a lot of things, but troll i am not.
i'll be taking my own advice and will start ignoring the bait.

how you infer my posts says more about your thought process than the meaning of my posts...does always seem that those that protest the most are the ones that feel the posts are aimed at them...you joined less than a month ago and have post here what? 11 times and half of them are about me...have to admit i got sucked in by the trolling ...

honey, i've been here for a number of years with a number of posts...i may be a lot of things, but troll i am not.
i'll be taking my own advice and will start ignoring the bait.
I looked back, you've been trolling on these forums for years. Multiple people comment each year about your rudeness and trolling behavior, with a minority actually appreciating your unproductive and rude messages that rarely help anyone. If majority of people look at your posts as negative over a period of 10 years and you still think its everyone else, that says all I need to know about you, honey. Narcissistic personality disorder. I hate when people pose as physicians in the US who actually matched during interview season and pretend to "help" IMGs, when odds are they are just working a research job cause they failed to match and want to feel some sort of entitlement and control hiding behind a computer screen shaming people....smh But please feel free to continue, I can keep racking up all these likes on my comments about your trolling, which I might add is a lot more than you are getting trying to defend your hate.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if any of the following are still rolling out invites:
cook county Chicago
Houston Methodist
SUNY upstate and downstate
Rochester general NY

Why these five particular programs?

@Res_Hopeful : if rokshana were to fall in front of you, would you help?

@rokshana : if Res_Hopeful were to fall in front of you, would you help?

Please answer the question and just leave it at that.
P.s Neither of you is a bad person.

Why these five particular programs?
Lol I sent LOIs to these and no response in terms of rejection or stop bugging us. So just want some closure

Oh no I had applied to Leigh Valley also. Is Mercy St Vincent Toledo still giving out IV?

The trollest rejection i got so far was one which required opening an attachment, forget which program that was. but I laughed afterward. best ones are the ones that say it in the heading amiright...
WAKE FOREST! Heading - REJECTION: please open attachment....lawl naw mate you go straight to trash

Lol I sent LOIs to these and no response in terms of rejection or stop bugging us. So just want some closure

'cause this seems like a random list of programs to me haha
FYI, Methodist put some people on the waitlist

Stupid fickle mother****er arguing over a computer screen with someone they never met.

How important is the pre-interview dinner?
I skipped one but wasn't as interested in the program. I have 2 coming up at places that are really solid so I'll be attending those. They say the dinners have no bearing on your evaluation but it's human nature to favor people who you can socialize well with. Never hurts to have residents telling the PD that you're a good fit for their program.

I skipped one but wasn't as interested in the program. I have 2 coming up at places that are really solid so I'll be attending those. They say the dinners have no bearing on your evaluation but it's human nature to favor people who you can socialize well with. Never hurts to have residents telling the PD that you're a good fit for their program.
I’ve heard in one program, PD started to ask interview frequent questions. It’s interview in a casual way.

How important is the pre-interview dinner?
it really is the start of the interview and can give you an idea of what the residents are like and if you fit in the culture of the program.

Though it can backfire if you give a bad impression...drink too much, bad mouth programs, etc.

I remember an applicant that was an FMG going to a German school who made a point of saying how she chose to go to Germany instead of the Caribbean schools because they were diploma mills and really didn't give a true education and was very obvious that her real interest was anesthesia and that IM was her back up... fine that you believe that, but not the best thing to say at a dinner where both the chief residents at the dinner went to caribbean schools...suffice to say she was DNR from that point on...

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.