This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys! Appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve heard in one program, PD started to ask interview frequent questions. It’s interview in a casual way.
Oh wow. I haven't heard of a PD attending them, at least in IM. But if they do, then absolutely 100% go if you're at all interested in the program.

How important is the pre-interview dinner?
it's meant for you to glean info off the residents without a PD looking over their shoulder. But of course, common sense still apply, don't be weird, don't be totally silent, don't talk too too much, don't drink too much. Basically don't stand out and you'll be fine. This dinner can rule you out, but usually won't confer any bonus if you chime really well with one resident.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
it really is the start of the interview and can give you an idea of what the residents are like and if you fit in the culture of the program.

Though it can backfire if you give a bad impression...drink too much, bad mouth programs, etc.

I remember an applicant that was an FMG going to a German school who made a point of saying how she chose to go to Germany instead of the Caribbean schools because they were diploma mills and really didn't give a true education and was very obvious that her real interest was anesthesia and that IM was her back up... fine that you believe that, but not the best thing to say at a dinner where both the chief residents at the dinner went to caribbean schools...suffice to say she was DNR from that point on...

I actually had a pre-IV dinner where a resident kept bad-mouthing his own medical school in a hilarious way LOL I'd love to work with that guy 'cause he seems to have a good sense of humor

actually no....i think it may end up helping...something like 800-900 spots go unfilled in the AOA match every year and while not every AOA program will transition over to the ACGME match, a majority of them will. Now spots that MD applicants were not able to apply to will be available to both next year...will they be receptive to the I/FMG applicant? who knows? On one hand, it gives programs that don't fill a chance to fill, but now DO students won't have to pick the AOA match over the ACGME match and may be more likely to interview and rank the old AOA programs as well as any ACGME programs they interview with...it may be similar to when the ACGME programs went "all in" a few years ago...the I/FMG "match rate" look like it took a big jump, but that was because there were so many more spots in the match that year that traditionally pre matched those spots.

I mean... I presume it would be a benefit, if i was a AOA PD and has been going unfilled, I would try to accept IMG's rather than go unfilled again. But then again, I don't know what the visa status is going to be with these programs that didn't need to worry about sponsoring VISAs before?? (for visa requiring IMG's), I think US-IMG's that don't need VISA will be a in a good position.

I’ve heard in one program, PD started to ask interview frequent questions. It’s interview in a casual way.

PDs attend pre-interview dinners at some places? woahh

Last edited:
Hello everybody! I hope everybody here is having a great season and doing great in interviews. I need help in a rescheduling an interview date.
Does anybody here want to swap dates for Maimonides medical center? Mine is 15 January. I am looking for a later date in January. Please let me know. Thanks

Has anyone here interviewed at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore? I'm struggling to find more information about the details of the interview day on their website and would love any insight. Thanks!

Hey everyone!
Hope all of your interviews have been going well.
As I mentioned before, I am still sitting at 0 interviews. I am not sure as to what my plan will be for the next year before the 2020 Match. If anyone has any ideas on what is the best way for me to go about this next year I would really appreciate it. I know people like Major Procrastinator, etc. did not match last year, so I would love to hear what you guys did to better your CV, make connections etc.

As of now, since I graduated this year, all I can think of is doing observerships at residency hospitals, as well as maybe pursuing some more research? If anyone else has any advice for me I would really appreciate it, this forum has been so helpful for me through this entire process and although there have been some arguing etc., I know that this thread this year has helped so many people and I love the positive vibes and advice that everyone gives!

Anyways, any advice for me would be great!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone!
As I mentioned before, I am still sitting at 0 interviews. I am not sure as to what my plan will be for the next year before the 2020 Match. If anyone has any ideas on what is the best way for me to go about this next year I would really appreciate it. I know people like Major Procrastinator, etc. did not match last year, so I would love to hear what you guys did to better your CV, make connections etc.

As of now, since I graduated this year, all I can think of is doing observerships at residency hospitals, as well as maybe pursuing some more research? If anyone else has any advice for me I would really appreciate it, this forum has been so helpful for me through this entire process and although there have been some arguing etc., I know that this thread this year has helped so many people and I love the positive vibes and advice that everyone gives!

Tried to send you a message to your inbox and couldn't. Send me a PM or activate the option to let others contact you!

Hello, can you please provide some input on this particular interview question, “ tell me about yourself that is not already there in your cv “

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey everyone!

It depends on what you are lacking. How much USCE do you have? How are your letters? Are they US letters? How about your scores? etc...

It depends on what you are lacking. How much USCE do you have? How are your letters? Are they US letters? How about your scores? etc...
2 years of USCE. All of my LORs are from american physicians and they were all very solid LORs. My scores r 22x and 22x on step 1 and step 2ck and step 2 cs pass

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

I would start emailing as many attendings/residents in your area asking for any research opportunities. I found one that was also paid so it helped me stay afloat through the year. I’d say research is the way to go. I had a year gap and it was easily explained by research leaving many pretty impressed by my first auth pubs.

Take step 3 if you haven’t.

Enjoy the year off. Life doesn’t always have to be serious.

Reactions: 1 users
I called a bunch of programs at New York. Most of them have already done sending IV. The only one that said they are still reviewing is SUNY upstate.

+1 UCF/HCA GME Consortium - Ocala

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8 users
Hello, quick question! I'll be taking my step 3 this month so I can have results back before ROL deadline. Will a passed step 3 actually significantly help with ranking, given scores in 220s but very good interviews?

If anyone wants a Skype IV practice session to let me know - don't need to share CV etc, we'll just hammer the common questions and maybe throw a few curve balls.

Hey,
are you still interested in practicing over skype?
Lemme know man, thanks.

+1 Brookdale. This is my 14th interview. Has anyone interviewed here as yet?

Reactions: 5 users
How many times can you buy a program, if you've already sent an LOI

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Btw guys.... on my last interviews there were 2 no shows. Unfortunately the sad reality is there are selfish people out there who would rather unprofessionally not show up instead of giving a courtesy call to cancel and open up spots for other people who don't have that many interviews. I sincerely hope that I won't match with these types of people. They should actually be blacklisted from applying without a proper excuse for the no show.

Reactions: 12 users
Everyone

Keep hustling to the end. Do not give up. Email programs. Call programs. Get in touch with Dr s you worked with. Keep yourself active and do not sit at home .
Keep hustling .

I've only one interview. Odds are against me. But I'm going to keep hustling.

Please! Do not let that inner voice take over. The one that says you're not worth it or you're not going to make it.

Sincerely
Batman's left nut

Cringe. But I concur, good luck to all! All we need is one.

I will probably be cancelling Houston methodist in the next few days so I hope one of you gets it!

Reactions: 10 users
Everyone

Keep hustling to the end. Do not give up. Email programs. Call programs. Get in touch with Dr s you worked with. Keep yourself active and do not sit at home .
Keep hustling .

I've only one interview. Odds are against me. But I'm going to keep hustling.

Please! Do not let that inner voice take over. The one that says you're not worth it or you're not going to make it.

Sincerely
Batman's left nut
I needed to hear this today. Thank you for the positivity.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone on here who has been waitlisted for southern Illinois and St.Louis university? Have you heard back from them since being waitlisted?

Dropping Brookdale. I hope one of you guys get it

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone interviewed at Maimonides? Can you share your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.