This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with people saying that you're unlikely to get any more interviews. People who still need more interviews: please don't give up - you can still call or email programs, you never know if they have a last-minute cancellation and they suddenly have a spot open. If they see you're interested and enthusiastic, they may select you for an interview.
Thank you for keeping up the positive vibe!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it's definitely not a magic bullet, but I think LOIs are useful for a very select person: someone who would otherwise be competitive for the program, but whose application might have been overlooked because of the sheer volume of applicants. For example, someone who might have been ASSUMED to have no ties to a region as an IMG, but actually has a significant other in that area would benefit from a well-written LOI.

I sent 8 LOIs; subsequently, I received 6 interviews, was ignored by 1 program, and was rejected by the last one. For each of the programs I emailed, my step scores was at or above the average. (US IMG, 24x/25x/pass)

Wow, I want to read your LOI, must have been incredible if it's that effective ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Oh sorry I forgot
Any realistic advice is not welcome here
Only sunshine rainbows and false optimism

Could he get more? Sure. It’s highly unlikely

I am being a realist. I'm speaking from my own experience. I received a last minute interview at a competitive place that had a cancellation. Also, I called up a few programs, and two of them said that a lot of applications aren't even looked at because they placed filters but because I called, they actually took a look at my application so there is a shot. For people who are hovering below an average number of interviews and are worried, it is definitely worth a shot to contact programs that they're genuinely interested in. I don't think this is false optimism because in some cases it works. It may not be "highly likely" but it certainly isn't "highly unlikely."

Members don't see this ad :)
For visa requiring candidates, getting 240s and Usce of 3-4 months isn't enough anymore, in my opinion. I've noticed alot of people getting invited with far lower scores but they had substantial amount of usce 6-8 months and/or strong research (compared to people with good scores and not much else). Certainly alot more emphasis on well rounded CVs this year.

Reactions: 1 users
was just there for an interview. they sucked anyway. :)

Hey was wondering if you could give some insight into SE Alabama, and why you considered it a bad program? I have an interview coming up, however tickets are expensive, almost $500 from where I am coming in, and just wanted to know your input on the matter. Thank you!

Wow, I want to read your LOI, must have been incredible if it's that effective ;)
Haha, I don't know about that, but I'd be happy to provide a rough template! Essentially, I wrote a few BRIEF (1-2 sentence) paragraphs that looked a little something like this:

Dear [Recipient],

Brief introduction. I wanted to reach out to you today to express my particular interest in XYZ's internal medicine residency program.

This is where I put specific details about the program. I found these on the program website or, if I knew someone at the program, I describe things they mentioned. A few of these things are sort of generic, but this is a right place to put why you love this place specifically. If you can't think of something here, don't write the LOI! For example, I may write about how their strong training in ABC field alined with my interests, how I was familiar with their researcher Dr. Jane Doe, or how much I appreciated their commitment to diversity.

If I have local ties, I put them here. Ex: I went to undergrad here, my sister lives in this city, or my significant other's family is here. I try to make it clear that I could see myself in this area long-term and that I'd like to be a part of the local community.

Finally, I thank them for taking the time to read my email and reiterate that I am very interested in their program.

Sincerely,
Gorbage

Reactions: 3 users
Haha, I don't know about that, but I'd be happy to provide a rough template! Essentially, I wrote a few BRIEF (1-2 sentence) paragraphs that looked a little something like this:

Dear [Recipient],

Brief introduction. I wanted to reach out to you today to express my particular interest in XYZ's internal medicine residency program.

This is where I put specific details about the program. I found these on the program website or, if I knew someone at the program, I describe things they mentioned. A few of these things are sort of generic, but this is a right place to put why you love this place specifically. If you can't think of something here, don't write the LOI! For example, I may write about how their strong training in ABC field alined with my interests, how I was familiar with their researcher Dr. Jane Doe, or how much I appreciated their commitment to diversity.

If I have local ties, I put them here. Ex: I went to undergrad here, my sister lives in this city, or my significant other's family is here. I try to make it clear that I could see myself in this area long-term and that I'd like to be a part of the local community.

Finally, I thank them for taking the time to read my email and reiterate that I am very interested in their program.

Sincerely,
Gorbage
God, I hope you actually sign it sincerely, gorbage

how do you guys get cheap flights? currently searching for a flight to portland and cheapest is $500

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey was wondering if you could give some insight into SE Alabama, and why you considered it a bad program? I have an interview coming up, however tickets are expensive, almost $500 from where I am coming in, and just wanted to know your input on the matter. Thank you!

No, I would urge you to go. It's just that, I felt like they rushed each interview. Didn't really give applicants the time. And make sure you appear like your picture, exactly, if you have curly hair in the picture then keep it curly. They are so damn irritating on small details. I know they didn't rank a girl because she was wearing blue nail polish. Other than that, I still advise you to go, because you have chances to match there.
Maybe the day I went was just not good.

Dear [Recipient],

Sincerely,
Gorbage

Are 360 words too many in my LOI? I am trying to include my scores, interest in the program, other reasons, my experience with the program and some words describing while I will be a good fit for the program. Thanks

I just received a response from Richmond University Medical Center telling me they cannot sponsor my visa. Did anyone here get an invite from there? Do they actually not sponsor visas this year?

I just received a response from Richmond University Medical Center telling me they cannot sponsor my visa. Did anyone here get an invite from there? Do they actually not sponsor visas this year?
So did you got an IV from there and then they said no visa for you?

guys quick question, for interviews that you get by sending an LOI or calling, do you think those programs just extend courtesy interviews and don't actually rank you? Or do you have a good chance of getting ranked if you impress them?

So did you got an IV from there and then they said no visa for you?

No, this was after I sent them a LOI.

They are now saying they had several problems last season regarding applicants obtaining visas because of the new adminstration. They are telling me they are not permitted to accept visas at this time.

This is just madness. This is why I'm wondering if anyone else requiring visa applied there.

guys quick question, for interviews that you get by sending an LOI or calling, do you think those programs just extend courtesy interviews and don't actually rank you? Or do you have a good chance of getting ranked if you impress them?
Of course it's not a courtesy interview. Why would they do that? They would have just ignored your e-mails if they did not want to rank you.

I was told by the APD that they will not be taking anyone that requires a visa moving forward due to problems losing their residents in the past. I would suggest not applying there.

Ive always wondered this as well but it seems pretty silly to have wasted a spot on someone they do not intend to rank. I think the match is competitive enough that just by someone's word of mouth you cant be offered an interview and even if you are, you will still be in the same boat as everyone else. Be confident!

season almost over!! no IVS :(((

Slight chance you might get one in January but I would start focusing on a Plan B for next year. Take Step 3 if you haven't. Apply to more programs then you did this year.

+IV at Flushing Hospital. (Really thought December invites were a myth). Does anyone have info on this hospital? There’s nothing on their website.

Reactions: 5 users
+IV at Flushing Hospital. (Really thought December invites were a myth). Does anyone have info on this hospital? There’s nothing on their website.

Interviewed there recently. You can message me!

GC program ;););)
Good for you, could be coming from somebody's cancellation

When did you call? I called just recently and most of tell me they are done with reviewing. :(
2 weeks ago. Most were done reviewing, only about 5 weren't done and I wrote their names down and called back. Got 2 IVs from calling now

2 weeks ago. Most were done reviewing, only about 5 weren't done and I wrote their names down and called back. Got 2 IVs from calling now

when did you do your calls? am I too late? any advice on the approach to call? what should I say? thank you.

Nice! So you called twice? Because I have programs wrote down my AAMC ID and nothing really happened after.

does anyone know which programs other than St Elizabeth that still have some dates left?

hey guys, anyone interviewed at Mercy Hospital and Medical Center at Chicago? How was it? thanks

Did anyone receive a rejection email from dmc sinai grace after the waitlist email? Does anyone know if they have dates available?

Nice! So you called twice? Because I have programs wrote down my AAMC ID and nothing really happened after.
I must add most of the programs that took down my ID number weren't of any help and when I called back, they said they had sent out all their invites. The 2 IVs I got were from programs that kept me on hold and checked the status of my app, saw I wasn't reviewed yet and said they'd contact me back. So phone calls aren't magic, they only help when the program would have invited you anyway but haven't reviewed your file. Plus some PC's don't accept to check your status on the phone, those ones I did not call back.....

Wellstar Kennestone in Atlanta still has dates and is sending out invites.

Wellstar Kennestone in Atlanta still has dates and is sending out invites.

Do you know if they accept J1 visas sponsored by ECFMG?

This is what it says on the website:
  1. Applicants must be U.S. citizens, have a valid U.S. Permanent Resident Card or EAD, or possess a J-1 visa. (Our institution does not sponsor any visas.) In addition, candidates must provide documentation to support this requirement to the GME office if a letter of Agreement is extended.

1. Applicants must be U.S. citizens, have a valid U.S. Permanent Resident Card or EAD, or possess a J-1 visa. (Our institution does not sponsor any visas.) In addition, candidates must provide documentation to support this requirement to the GME office if a letter of Agreement is extended.

No idea. I'm a US Grad just updating the IMG thread for y'all. I'll be declining the interview, but it's always worth a call.

Reactions: 4 users

from what I heard Kennestone rejected all the visa requiring dudes including myself

That’s super nice of you! Thank you, any bits help! Kind people always brighten my day.
No problem We're all in this together, regardless of visa status, or med school. South Nassau also sent out some more last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.