This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
95% is a big ratio. Like if one has only 1 IV, very hard to match. And there are a lot of people who just get 1 or 2 IVs. Right?
No not really...and those that match prolly had at least 2...but prolly more.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was offered a second look at a recent interview I went on. It is by far my number one spot and I dont know what a second look would entail for me. I'm already ranking it number one and it would just be a waste of time and money for me to go back. Will it hurt my chances if I dont go for a second look?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, hope you all are doing great!!

I'm a NonUS IMG from Mexico, I'll be applying next season for 2020 match, but I'm trying to figure out a good and efficient plan in order to have higher chances in good programs at Texas (UTSW, BCM, UTH, UTSA, etc), since I love Texas so hard.

According to what I've done so far, my predictions, my funds and timing, my CV would look something like this for 2020 match season:

Step 1 260
Step 2 270
USCE 3 months in Texas, 1 m UTRGV and 2 m UTH.
Clinical Research 1-2 months of volunteer.
Publications 0 (2 pending abstract/case reports).
YoG 2018 Need Visa

Since I'm aiming for Texas so hard, I'd love to have a chance for UTSW IM program, but I don't know if I would according to my "predicted CV", due to the highly competitive that program is plus my Need-visa status.

Is there any IMG or AMG that has an idea of how a NonUS IMG Need-visa applicant matched in UTSW would look like?
Last year there were 7/70 NonUS-IMG applicants matched in total from all around the world (Peru, China, UK, Taiwan, France, India, Australia).

Please, feel free to text me if you are a NonUS IMG who actually got an interview at UTSW, or if you know anything about the doubts I have.

I know that what I'm asking may be hard to answer or hard to give any specific clue at all, but please, avoid any harsh comments about what I'm trying to get some clues from. Thank you in advance!

Wish you all the very best to all of you guys!!

Hey guys,
did you have any academic questions during your interviews? (if yes was that common?)

Hope this helps you

1. Last year I applied mid october and did not recieve my CK score til Feb.
2. I was couples matching, 4/6 interviews were because of her asking for me.
3. I was trying my luck, only thing to lose was money. I think its important to understand my situation before comparing me.
4. After not matching. I was ECFMG certified end of Feb.
5. I did 5 months hands on rotations in IM and sub specialities. I also volunteered in food banks and free clinics at same time 1-2 times a week
6. I got 4 new very strong LORs from US faculty
7.Submitted a research paper
8. Was working on 2 case reports
9. I emailed programs in the summer
10. I emailed programs after applying
11. I got attendings to email programs on my behalf
12. I worked hard, listened to my mentor, hustled. Applied on day 1. I made sure every single part of my application was detailed and well written. Proofread many many many times. I did not neglect any part of it and bulked it up over the summer.
13. I have 19 Interviews! Do not need visa. Did all med school rotations in USA+another 6 months after graduating.

Good luck! Basically, you need to look at what you can improve on. Make connections, ask for help, and perfect your application. Anyone can make it happen!!
Thanks so much for the advice MP.

So I probably am not going to match this year as I did not receive any interviews. I am just trying to plan out what to do before the next match. I know that my USMLE scores of 22x and needing a visa are my main problems but there is not much I can do about that. My plan so far is basically just to do Step 3... and maybe some observerships? I did graduate in May so I am not too sure if its possible for me to do any rotations. You mentioned that you did another 6 months of rotations after graduating? Could you give me some advice as to how to go about this?

Also, where can I look to see which hospitals do observerships? And how do I go about picking where to do an observership etc? If anyone can give me any tips at all I would really appreciate it. PM me if you want as well!

Hope the season is going well for everyone, you guys helped me a lot during this journey!

I'm a NonUS IMG from Mexico, I'll be applying next season for 2020 match, but I'm trying to figure out a good and efficient plan in order to have higher chances in good programs at Texas (UTSW, BCM, UTH, UTSA, etc), since I love Texas so hard.

According to what I've done so far, my predictions, my funds and timing, my CV would look something like this for 2020 match season:

Step 1 260
Step 2 270
YoG 2018 Need Visa

Since I'm aiming for Texas so hard, I'd love to have a chance for UTSW IM program, but I don't know if I would according to my "predicted CV", due to the highly competitive that program is plus my Need-visa status.

Is there any IMG or AMG that has an idea of how a NonUS IMG Need-visa applicant matched in UTSW would look like?
Last year there were 7/70 NonUS-IMG applicants matched in total from all around the world (Peru, China, UK, Taiwan, France, India, Australia).

Please, feel free to text me if you are a NonUS IMG who actually got an interview at UTSW, or if you know anything about the doubts I have.

I know that what I'm asking may be hard to answer or hard to give any specific clue at all, but please, avoid any harsh comments about what I'm trying to get some clues from. Thank you in advance!

You can never predict these things but you match all the criteria for UTSW, but it's a very competitive program so you never know. From my experience and judging from other people I know, Texas programs rely a lot on contacts. If you really like these programs then you should go there and do some observerships or research as soon as possible. Pick either UT Houston or UTSW.

Step 1 260
Step 2 270
YoG 2018 Need Visa

What part of that your CV is predicted? Do you have your step scores already or are you predicting that is what your score will be? Clinical research volunteer 1-2 months... have you done this or are you in the process of starting? 1 month is not a long time to do research if you have little experience, are new to the institution or you're trying to start the project from scratch. I don't mean to be harsh but a lot of things can happen between predicted and real life. UTSW is extremely competitive and it is difficult to assess how competitive you might be from a "predictive" CV. For what it's worth, most competitive programs that take IMGs (regardless of the state) are looking for a well-rounded applicant: good step scores usually 240+, USCE, research experience and strong letters from US attendings. Focus on getting those things for your application and not specifically for UTSW. I would say priority is step scores, that is what gets you through the first filter... everything else is additional if you are able to do it. If you have the opportunity to do research in UTSW or an observership, try to do it. CV-wise it might not be as strong as a clerkship or sub-I but it might provide you some face time with people that might have a say in the process. If you are not able to physically go to UTSW or your research volunteer site for more than a month, try to set up something where you continue your project from home and skype with your mentor for meetings or something. There are several places in Texas that are NonUS-IMG friendly (especially if you speak spanish) such as Houston Methodist, UTRGV and UT in McAllen.

Hey guys,
did you have any academic questions during your interviews? (if yes was that common?)
Academic? Do you mean medical questions? If that's the case, I have not gotten any yet but some applicants I have spoken to have so I can't really say how common they are. Most of them had mentioned they were interested in GI (for example) and the interviewer asked them something about a patient with ascites or something along those lines. If it helps, a resident that was chatting with us during an interview day told us that if they ask you a medical question, they are not interested in how much you know rather in what your thought process is. So I wouldn't really worry to much about it since it's unlikely (at least in my experience) and unpredictable what they might ask so it's not like you can read up on one specific topic the night before.
On the other hand, I have gotten waaaay more behavioral questions of how would you react/what would you do/have you ever been in a situation... and the gold standard: tell me about yourself hahaha

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
hey guys, has anyone interviewed at USF? I would greatly appreciate any feedback on how the interview day went!
That's a pretty competitive program for IMGs, very few end up there. This doesn't answer your question but I do know a few people from that program. It's very solid and academic, but apparently there are some changes being made this year that are unpopular with the current residents. But ultimately, I'd still imagine it's a decent place to be.

Hey guys,
I had medical questions during one interview. I was given a card with a diagnosis just before the interview with a PD and had to build a case. The PD was “nice” enough to ask very specific questions, probably fellowship level. He was impressed. Didn’t ask any behavioral question. Other interviewees where asked medical questions during interviews with faculty too. I wasn’t. The program is at the bottom of my list.

Last edited:
I had medical question during one interview. I was given a card with a diagnosis just before the interview with a PD and had to build a case. The PD was “nice” enough to ask very specific questions, probably fellowship level. He was impressed. Didn’t ask any behavioral question. Other interviewees where asked medical questions during interviews with faculty too. I wasn’t. The program is at the bottom of my list.
lmao! Sounds eerily familiar.

Sounds like a program in NY lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I had medical questions during one interview. I was given a card with a diagnosis just before the interview with a PD and had to build a case. The PD was “nice” enough to ask very specific questions, probably fellowship level. He was impressed. Didn’t ask any behavioral question. Other interviewees where asked medical questions during interviews with faculty too. I wasn’t. The program is at the bottom of my list.
Wow that sounds tough!! Sounds like managed the situation well though! I guess I've been pretty lucky in my interview trail then

Members don't see this ad :)
You can never predict these things but you match all the criteria for UTSW, but it's a very competitive program so you never know. From my experience and judging from other people I know, Texas programs rely a lot on contacts. If you really like these programs then you should go there and do some observerships or research as soon as possible. Pick either UT Houston or UTSW.

Thanks a lot for your time and sharing!

What part of that your CV is predicted? Do you have your step scores already or are you predicting that is what your score will be? Clinical research volunteer 1-2 months... have you done this or are you in the process of starting? 1 month is not a long time to do research if you have little experience, are new to the institution or you're trying to start the project from scratch. I don't mean to be harsh but a lot of things can happen between predicted and real life. UTSW is extremely competitive and it is difficult to assess how competitive you might be from a "predictive" CV. For what it's worth, most competitive programs that take IMGs (regardless of the state) are looking for a well-rounded applicant: good step scores usually 240+, USCE, research experience and strong letters from US attendings. Focus on getting those things for your application and not specifically for UTSW. I would say priority is step scores, that is what gets you through the first filter... everything else is additional if you are able to do it. If you have the opportunity to do research in UTSW or an observership, try to do it. CV-wise it might not be as strong as a clerkship or sub-I but it might provide you some face time with people that might have a say in the process. If you are not able to physically go to UTSW or your research volunteer site for more than a month, try to set up something where you continue your project from home and skype with your mentor for meetings or something. There are several places in Texas that are NonUS-IMG friendly (especially if you speak spanish) such as Houston Methodist, UTRGV and UT in McAllen.

Yeah, I know that I should not assure that I'm going to get exactly what I want on my CV, but I said that based on some other facts that aim >50% that it can happen.

I already did my Step 1 (260) in August 2018.
My Step 2 is in February (I have UWSA1 267 2 months ago, and UWSA2 270 1 month ago).
I have 1 sponsor for 1m UTRGV and another one for 2m UTH (3 USCE months).
The clinical research part is the hardest one, I know. I talked with a friend in UTSA that says he can get me in contact with somebody that will help me out.

I haven't done any clinical research previously, unfortunately, my medical school does not teach that in an adequate way; there are also really just a few options of research in my country, and they are not that significant. Don't know, maybe it'll be not possible to start clinical research, I understand that there are many factors that can make it really hard to get into it.

Thanks a lot for taking your time to share all your input, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I know that I should not assure that I'm going to get exactly what I want on my CV, but I said that based on some other facts that aim >50% that it can happen.

My Step 2 is in February (I have UWSA1 267 2 months ago, and UWSA2 270 1 month ago).
The clinical research part is the hardest one, I know. I talked with a friend in UTSA that says he can get me in contact with somebody that will help me out.

I haven't done any clinical research previously, unfortunately, my medical school does not teach that in an adequate way; there are also really just a few options of research in my country, and they are not that significant. Don't know, maybe it'll be not possible to start clinical research, I understand that there are many factors that can make it really hard to get into it.

Thanks a lot for taking your time to share all your input, I really appreciate it.
Are you done with step 2 cs? I would say focus on step 2, getting strong letters from US attendings while you're at UTRGV and UTH and ask attendings to jump in to a project that is already started at both UTRGV and UTH. It probably won't get you first authorship (unless it is a small case vignette or abstract for a conference) but it might get your name somewhere in the middle, enough for you to be able to check off the "research" portion of the application. If the project is already started (meaning IRB approval, funding settled, patients consented bla bla), retrospective chart review is pretty reasonable to achieve in 2 months. Regarding the actual statistical analysis, UTH has a department that can help you with that or your attendings might know research fellows or residents with clinical research background that might be willing to help.

Hey! Congrats on your step 1, that is very exciting! If you really want an interview at a competitive university hospital like UTSW, you really need an academic CV. I don't think that being an IMG with good scores will get an interview at these places. I have not heard this happen before (if someone has, please correct me). Every IMG that I know that matched at top places already had at least 1 year of research with publications. I would recommend you get involved in research projects ASAP (it may be a little tight getting things published before applying since research takes quite some time). If you are dead set to match at a top institution, I would highly suggest that you apply one year later (2021 match), and get a postdoc position at UTSW with someone who works in your desired field of interest. When you do your rotations, get people to know you and at the end ask if they are interested in working with you, if they can sponsor you to do research for a year, or if they know someone who can sponsor you within the institution. Contacts are going to be your best friend at these places since they have really strict screening procedures. I heard from the PD of a top 10 program that they usually screen out IMGs unless someone knows the applicant, after which they review the application and may invite for an interview if the applicant is strong enough. I got interviews at 4 university hospitals, and I had connections in all 4 (granted, my application was strong enough to be invited). If you apply this next cycle with no research, odds are much lower for you to get invited at places like UTSW or BCM. I truly think that you have the potential for an awesome application and if you play your cards right, you can definitely match at a top place. If you have the means to do so, what's one more year of your life? Best of luck in your step 2!

Reactions: 5 users
That's a pretty competitive program for IMGs, very few end up there. This doesn't answer your question but I do know a few people from that program. It's very solid and academic, but apparently there are some changes being made this year that are unpopular with the current residents. But ultimately, I'd still imagine it's a decent place to be.
Thank you so much for the information!

+1 UPMC Mercy

I didn’t get any invitations in December so this was a nice unexpected surprise!

Reactions: 8 users
Are you done with step 2 cs? I would say focus on step 2, getting strong letters from US attendings while you're at UTRGV and UTH and ask attendings to jump in to a project that is already started at both UTRGV and UTH. It probably won't get you first authorship (unless it is a small case vignette or abstract for a conference) but it might get your name somewhere in the middle, enough for you to be able to check off the "research" portion of the application. If the project is already started (meaning IRB approval, funding settled, patients consented bla bla), retrospective chart review is pretty reasonable to achieve in 2 months. Regarding the actual statistical analysis, UTH has a department that can help you with that or your attendings might know research fellows or residents with clinical research background that might be willing to help.

Nicee!! Thanks a lot for such many good ideas that I didn't even have any idea at all about. I'll definitely try to get myself in contact with someone involved in the research field. My main problem are my funds, but 2 months I think are still an affordable option. Thank you!

Hey! Congrats on your step 1, that is very exciting! If you really want an interview at a competitive university hospital like UTSW, you really need an academic CV. I don't think that being an IMG with good scores will get an interview at these places. I have not heard this happen before (if someone has, please correct me). Every IMG that I know that matched at top places already had at least 1 year of research with publications. I would recommend you get involved in research projects ASAP (it may be a little tight getting things published before applying since research takes quite some time). If you are dead set to match at a top institution, I would highly suggest that you apply one year later (2021 match), and get a postdoc position at UTSW with someone who works in your desired field of interest. When you do your rotations, get people to know you and at the end ask if they are interested in working with you, if they can sponsor you to do research for a year, or if they know someone who can sponsor you within the institution. Contacts are going to be your best friend at these places since they have really strict screening procedures. I heard from the PD of a top 10 program that they usually screen out IMGs unless someone knows the applicant, after which they review the application and may invite for an interview if the applicant is strong enough. I got interviews at 4 university hospitals, and I had connections in all 4 (granted, my application was strong enough to be invited). If you apply this next cycle with no research, odds are much lower for you to get invited at places like UTSW or BCM. I truly think that you have the potential for an awesome application and if you play your cards right, you can definitely match at a top place. If you have the means to do so, what's one more year of your life? Best of luck in your step 2!

Thank you so much for all the motivation and advice you are sharing with me!! I really appreciate it. I do have been thinking about looking the way in how to get me into a postdoc position, get any kind of financial aid in order to be able to stay in the US donig research or any kind of opportunity like that.

I've also been considering about what you just said of applying until the 2021 match. In fact, a PGY2 Cardiologist contact at Emory, former IM resident from UTH, even told me that with my scores, plus my medical resume from my home country, I could even get the opportunity to be sponsored for a masters degree on clinical research somewhere else, and be a high-top applicant for some programs. But funding part is the hardest one.

Still, I really appreciate so much all the guidance and advice that you guys give to me.
Wish you all the best!!

I was offered a second look at a recent interview I went on. It is by far my number one spot and I dont know what a second look would entail for me. I'm already ranking it number one and it would just be a waste of time and money for me to go back. Will it hurt my chances if I dont go for a second look?

We had that discussion in this thread several days ago ;) A few programs and insiders said it would make a difference for their programs; whereas many other programs specifically noted that it has no effects and don't waste your time and money if it's not affordable.

We had that discussion in this thread several days ago ;) A few programs and insiders said it would make a difference for their programs; whereas many other programs specifically noted that it has no effects and don't waste your time and money if it's not affordable.

Hey I feel maybe you should go. I would if I was in your place. Just because they invited you and maybe they are seriously considering you. Of course you should go only if you are really interested in the program. This is just my opinion, but you have to decide based on your situations also.

Hey I feel maybe you should go. I would if I was in your place. Just because they invited you and maybe they are seriously considering you. Of course you should go only if you are really interested in the program. This is just my opinion, but you have to decide based on your situations also.

Sorry this text was meant to be sent to the original person who asked this question. I am still getting used to this site

Hey guys, quick question! I took Step 3 before December 31st and I am expecting results either next week or the week after that (hopefully good news haha). Do you know when/how I can have my Step 3 score reflected on ERAS? I know there's an option of resending scores but I am not sure if step 3 scores (reported by FSMB) would be included or if I need to do something else. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi guys! I have my interview at brookdale next week and it would be great if someone could give me feedback on how the interview went. Thanks

Hey guys, quick question! I took Step 3 before December 31st and I am expecting results either next week or the week after that (hopefully good news haha). Do you know when/how I can have my Step 3 score reflected on ERAS? I know there's an option of resending scores but I am not sure if step 3 scores (reported by FSMB) would be included or if I need to do something else. Thanks!
I remember from an interview they told us that if we update myeras when we get the results, they will be able to see them, but I want someone to confirm as well. By the way, did you take your exam in late December? Because I could not understand if we will receive them after 3-4 weeks or later than that.

Hi. I'm going to Interview in St Mary's program at waterbury CT next Jan 30th and I'll be in the Courtyard Waterbury Downtown just a block away from the hospital. The room has 2 queen beds. If anyone wants to share the room with me let me know. I'll be one night since jan 29th to 30th.

I remember from an interview they told us that if we update myeras when we get the results, they will be able to see them, but I want someone to confirm as well. By the way, did you take your exam in late December? Because I could not understand if we will receive them after 3-4 weeks or later than that.
It took step 3 dec20/dec27 and (to my understanding) should be receiving it 3-4 weeks after dec 27 which should mean either jan 16 or 23. I was told that the delayed reporting started after Jan 2019 and shouldn't affect tests taken in december. Hope it's true hahaha can't wait to be done with USMLE forever and focus all my anxiety on the match

Hope this helps you

1. Last year I applied mid october and did not recieve my CK score til Feb.
2. I was couples matching, 4/6 interviews were because of her asking for me.
3. I was trying my luck, only thing to lose was money. I think its important to understand my situation before comparing me.
4. After not matching. I was ECFMG certified end of Feb.
5. I did 5 months hands on rotations in IM and sub specialities. I also volunteered in food banks and free clinics at same time 1-2 times a week
6. I got 4 new very strong LORs from US faculty
7.Submitted a research paper
8. Was working on 2 case reports
9. I emailed programs in the summer
10. I emailed programs after applying
11. I got attendings to email programs on my behalf
12. I worked hard, listened to my mentor, hustled. Applied on day 1. I made sure every single part of my application was detailed and well written. Proofread many many many times. I did not neglect any part of it and bulked it up over the summer.
13. I have 19 Interviews! Do not need visa. Did all med school rotations in USA+another 6 months after graduating.

Good luck! Basically, you need to look at what you can improve on. Make connections, ask for help, and perfect your application. Anyone can make it happen!!

Thank you for sharing all of this information on here. It is incredibly helpful. Trying to PM you with a few quick questions but for some reason, I can't. Is your PM enabled?

Thank you so much for all the motivation and advice you are sharing with me!! I really appreciate it. I do have been thinking about looking the way in how to get me into a postdoc position, get any kind of financial aid in order to be able to stay in the US donig research or any kind of opportunity like that.

I've also been considering about what you just said of applying until the 2021 match. In fact, a PGY2 Cardiologist contact at Emory, former IM resident from UTH, even told me that with my scores, plus my medical resume from my home country, I could even get the opportunity to be sponsored for a masters degree on clinical research somewhere else, and be a high-top applicant for some programs. But funding part is the hardest one.

Still, I really appreciate so much all the guidance and advice that you guys give to me.
Wish you all the best!!

Hey, I tried to send you a PM and you probably don't have the option activated.

Sorry this text was meant to be sent to the original person who asked this question. I am still getting used to this site

You can click the blue little arrow and then reply to the person that you actually would like to
Hey, I tried to send you a PM and you probably don't have the option activated.

Thank you for letting me know, I thought it was available by default. I think it is now.

Hi. I'm going to Interview in St Mary's program at waterbury CT next Jan 30th and I'll be in the Courtyard Waterbury Downtown just a block away from the hospital. The room has 2 queen beds. If anyone wants to share the room with me let me know. I'll be one night since jan 29th to 30th.
Not sharing the room. But just a heads up. Waterbury is not a safe town, take care.

This has been the most stressful period of my life, having to wait for the results and having to answers over and over again that there is a lot of time to wait for the MATCH day. People ask me if I have a "plan B" but I really don´t have any. I am just scared that with only 2 interviews its a very risky MATCH ... Having invested all of my time and money in this is and now just having to wait with nothing I can do about it, makes me very anxious. This forum has been very helpful to get thru this difficult time, so thanks to all of you out there.

Reactions: 7 users
This has been the most stressful period of my life, having to wait for the results and having to answers over and over again that there is a lot of time to wait for the MATCH day. People ask me if I have a "plan B" but I really don´t have any. I am just scared that with only 2 interviews its a very risky MATCH ... Having invested all of my time and money in this is and now just having to wait with nothing I can do about it, makes me very anxious. This forum has been very helpful to get thru this difficult time, so thanks to all of you out there.

I feel you, I only have 3, but hey we could still match. fingers crossed

Hang in there! It is indeed a very stressful time and people that have never gone through it won't understand the process since it is such a unique one. If having to explain the situation over and over again adds stress to an already stressful situation, don't! Just smile and say I'll know in March (at least that's what I am doing to avoid the whole conversation haha has worked so far). Everybody deals with uncertainty in different ways... personally having plan B, C and D makes me feel a little bit more in control of the situation since I do not like surprises. I would sit down and think objectively... if things don't turn out the way you want them to in the Match, what's next? What alternatives do you have? What is a reasonable plan B? If you'd like to apply again next year, is there anything you can improve in your CV or application that is achievable in one year? You don't have to share this with anybody if you don't want to. You don't owe anybody any explanations. Just focus on realistic alternatives and not on the negative side of things. But again, everybody deals with things differently and that is just what I would do. I would also recommend finding a hobby or something to distract you during this time. Find something to keep your mind occupied. And just remember that at the end of the day, this whole thing is just one more administrative step towards your goals... it does not define you, your personal worth or your potential as a clinician!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Yes, I completely understand what you are going thru. I'll try my luck on SOAP and hope to get some IVs. Praying to match this year. so many pending decisions just because of this. waiting is so bad. If you don't mind, how were your interviews went?

I feel you, I only have 3, but hey we could still match. fingers crossed
My passport was stolen in Buenos Aires in October one month before my first interview... the embassy put my visa application in administrative processing for 2 months and 10 days. Yesterday was finally issued... Fortunately the 3 programs where I'm going to interview at were very helpful and I'll be there in two weeks. I feel you 100%. These past months have been the most stressful in my entire LIFE and apparently nobody but ourselves really know how ****ty this period has been

Reactions: 2 users
any thoughts on applying to prelims as a pathway to go into IM? it's not ideal but is it feasible?

aProgDirector, can you please let us know how does you rank applicants at your program? To what extent does the interview day vs. the applicantion affect the order?
And do all program follow similar strategy? Thank you!

aProgDirector, can you please let us know how does you rank applicants at your program? To what extent does the interview day vs. the applicantion affect the order?
The interview day is often a way for the program to confirm things (good and bad) that they see in your CV and determine "fit" to the extent possible in such a short and unnatural format. It definitely can move you around on the rank list, but usually on the order of a few percentiles up or down, not from the bottom to the top.

The converse however is possible as we have all seen people (rarely, but it happens every year at pretty much ever program) go from high on the ROL pre-interview to DNR based on interview day.

This is an easy question to answer. No.

The interview day is often a way for the program to confirm things (good and bad) that they see in your CV and determine "fit" to the extent possible in such a short and unnatural format. It definitely can move you around on the rank list, but usually on the order of a few percentiles up or down, not from the bottom to the top.

The converse however is possible as we have all seen people (rarely, but it happens every year at pretty much ever program) go from high on the ROL pre-interview to DNR based on interview day.
Thank you! It makes a lot of sense. I feel that applicants somehow use a similar algorism to make their final rank lists too.

When you re-send your USMLE transcript, we get an updated version with all steps on it, so we will see your new S3 score. We don't get a popup saying "Wow! Magenda has a new S3 score you should look at!" But if we look at your app again, we can see it. And we can run a report asking ERAS to show all applications with a USMLE update in them.

any thoughts on applying to prelims as a pathway to go into IM? it's not ideal but is it feasible?

It's feasible. Completing a prelim PGY-1 allows you to apply for PGY-2 openings the next year. There are some, but not many of them. Most IM prelims are already committed to a PGY-2 year of some sort, so the number of PGY-1's looking for PGY-2 spots is probably relatively small. But I don't have any good source of data for how many there might be, and what the balance of people looking vs spots available looks like. You can also re-apply in the match for a categorical PGY-1 -- but on Sept 15th you'll barely have started in your program, getting enough days off to interview could be a problem, and there a potential funding problem due to repeating your PGY-1 year.

Gutonc already bascially answered. Of course not all programs use the same system. One could imagine that in very competitive fields / programs, everyone who is invited to interview looks like a superstar. In that case, the interview day may very heavily weight how the rank list looks. In less competitive fields / programs, the applicants will be a mix -- some very competitive, some less so. In that case, how a program will rank a highly competitive applicant who is not a great "fit" vs someone who is less competitive but is a great "fit" is unclear. In any case, a good interview day will drive you towards the top of candidates of a similar level of competitiveness.

Reactions: 4 users
General info, like how the program is, also did you get any email before the interview?, because I haven’t. Thank you
hi
so you dont get any email before the interview.
interview is a panel one, mostly conversational, behavioural questions and maybe something about an interesting case.

PROS- very cheap city to stay in, decent sized hospital, faculty seem decent enough, very financially stable hospital, good enough patient exposure, j1 waivers available.

CONS- just started last yr, so lots of scheduling problems, many hospitalists dont teach residents properly, has half day clinic schedule, residents are not pleased with the place, needs a lot of overhaul in the program, no fellowships, doesnt seem to follow acgme guidelines like doing er rotations for 3 months!, brutal weather.

SUMMARY- overall it depends on your number of interviews, if you have more than 10 , dont bother going here.
if less than 5, check it out. better than most of the crappy places in nyc though.

Status
Not open for further replies.