1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2019

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by CerebralCat, Sep 15, 2018.

1. magical_world

Sorry this text was meant to be sent to the original person who asked this question. I am still getting used to this site

Happy Doctor :) likes this.
  2. Endorphins

Hey guys, quick question! I took Step 3 before December 31st and I am expecting results either next week or the week after that (hopefully good news haha). Do you know when/how I can have my Step 3 score reflected on ERAS? I know there's an option of resending scores but I am not sure if step 3 scores (reported by FSMB) would be included or if I need to do something else. Thanks!

#4902 Endorphins, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. wishfuldoctor

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Hi guys! I have my interview at brookdale next week and it would be great if someone could give me feedback on how the interview went. Thanks

4. Magenda

I remember from an interview they told us that if we update myeras when we get the results, they will be able to see them, but I want someone to confirm as well. By the way, did you take your exam in late December? Because I could not understand if we will receive them after 3-4 weeks or later than that.

5. IMG1990IM-CARDIO

Hi. I'm going to Interview in St Mary's program at waterbury CT next Jan 30th and I'll be in the Courtyard Waterbury Downtown just a block away from the hospital. The room has 2 queen beds. If anyone wants to share the room with me let me know. I'll be one night since jan 29th to 30th.

6. Endorphins

It took step 3 dec20/dec27 and (to my understanding) should be receiving it 3-4 weeks after dec 27 which should mean either jan 16 or 23. I was told that the delayed reporting started after Jan 2019 and shouldn't affect tests taken in december. Hope it's true hahaha can't wait to be done with USMLE forever and focus all my anxiety on the match

Magenda likes this.
  7. nancy22

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thank you for sharing all of this information on here. It is incredibly helpful. Trying to PM you with a few quick questions but for some reason, I can't. Is your PM enabled?

8. il pani

Hey, I tried to send you a PM and you probably don't have the option activated.

9. Happy Doctor :)

You can click the blue little arrow and then reply to the person that you actually would like to
    Thank you for letting me know, I thought it was available by default. I think it is now.

10. Beastkiller

2+ Year Member

Not sharing the room. But just a heads up. Waterbury is not a safe town, take care.

11. Internal Applicant

This has been the most stressful period of my life, having to wait for the results and having to answers over and over again that there is a lot of time to wait for the MATCH day. People ask me if I have a "plan B" but I really don´t have any. I am just scared that with only 2 interviews its a very risky MATCH ... Having invested all of my time and money in this is and now just having to wait with nothing I can do about it, makes me very anxious. This forum has been very helpful to get thru this difficult time, so thanks to all of you out there.

12. thenoonemedicineman

I feel you, I only have 3, but hey we could still match. fingers crossed

Lostinmedicine2020 likes this.
  13. thenoonemedicineman

Please any info on Eastern Idaho Regional ?

14. Endorphins

Hang in there! It is indeed a very stressful time and people that have never gone through it won't understand the process since it is such a unique one. If having to explain the situation over and over again adds stress to an already stressful situation, don't! Just smile and say I'll know in March (at least that's what I am doing to avoid the whole conversation haha has worked so far). Everybody deals with uncertainty in different ways... personally having plan B, C and D makes me feel a little bit more in control of the situation since I do not like surprises. I would sit down and think objectively... if things don't turn out the way you want them to in the Match, what's next? What alternatives do you have? What is a reasonable plan B? If you'd like to apply again next year, is there anything you can improve in your CV or application that is achievable in one year? You don't have to share this with anybody if you don't want to. You don't owe anybody any explanations. Just focus on realistic alternatives and not on the negative side of things. But again, everybody deals with things differently and that is just what I would do. I would also recommend finding a hobby or something to distract you during this time. Find something to keep your mind occupied. And just remember that at the end of the day, this whole thing is just one more administrative step towards your goals... it does not define you, your personal worth or your potential as a clinician!

#4914 Endorphins, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  15. Virgo32

Yes, I completely understand what you are going thru. I'll try my luck on SOAP and hope to get some IVs. Praying to match this year. so many pending decisions just because of this. waiting is so bad. If you don't mind, how were your interviews went?

16. magical_world

17. IMG1990IM-CARDIO

My passport was stolen in Buenos Aires in October one month before my first interview... the embassy put my visa application in administrative processing for 2 months and 10 days. Yesterday was finally issued... Fortunately the 3 programs where I'm going to interview at were very helpful and I'll be there in two weeks. I feel you 100%. These past months have been the most stressful in my entire LIFE and apparently nobody but ourselves really know how ****ty this period has been

18. Major procrastinator

Major procrastinator SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Yes, it should work

19. freakeenyc

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    any thoughts on applying to prelims as a pathway to go into IM? it's not ideal but is it feasible?

20. Dr. HWS

Medical Student
    aProgDirector, can you please let us know how does you rank applicants at your program? To what extent does the interview day vs. the applicantion affect the order?
    And do all program follow similar strategy? Thank you!

21. CAPT AHAB

I’m done with the Iv
    What do you want to know about it?

22. thenoonemedicineman

General info, like how the program is, also did you get any email before the interview?, because I haven’t. Thank you

23. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Staff Member Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The interview day is often a way for the program to confirm things (good and bad) that they see in your CV and determine "fit" to the extent possible in such a short and unnatural format. It definitely can move you around on the rank list, but usually on the order of a few percentiles up or down, not from the bottom to the top.

The converse however is possible as we have all seen people (rarely, but it happens every year at pretty much ever program) go from high on the ROL pre-interview to DNR based on interview day.

This is an easy question to answer. No.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    qPCR likes this.
  24. qPCR

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thank you! It makes a lot of sense. I feel that applicants somehow use a similar algorism to make their final rank lists too.

25. aProgDirector

aProgDirector Pastafarians Unite!
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When you re-send your USMLE transcript, we get an updated version with all steps on it, so we will see your new S3 score. We don't get a popup saying "Wow! Magenda has a new S3 score you should look at!" But if we look at your app again, we can see it. And we can run a report asking ERAS to show all applications with a USMLE update in them.

It's feasible. Completing a prelim PGY-1 allows you to apply for PGY-2 openings the next year. There are some, but not many of them. Most IM prelims are already committed to a PGY-2 year of some sort, so the number of PGY-1's looking for PGY-2 spots is probably relatively small. But I don't have any good source of data for how many there might be, and what the balance of people looking vs spots available looks like. You can also re-apply in the match for a categorical PGY-1 -- but on Sept 15th you'll barely have started in your program, getting enough days off to interview could be a problem, and there a potential funding problem due to repeating your PGY-1 year.

Gutonc already bascially answered. Of course not all programs use the same system. One could imagine that in very competitive fields / programs, everyone who is invited to interview looks like a superstar. In that case, the interview day may very heavily weight how the rank list looks. In less competitive fields / programs, the applicants will be a mix -- some very competitive, some less so. In that case, how a program will rank a highly competitive applicant who is not a great "fit" vs someone who is less competitive but is a great "fit" is unclear. In any case, a good interview day will drive you towards the top of candidates of a similar level of competitiveness.

26. CAPT AHAB

hi
    so you dont get any email before the interview.
    interview is a panel one, mostly conversational, behavioural questions and maybe something about an interesting case.

PROS- very cheap city to stay in, decent sized hospital, faculty seem decent enough, very financially stable hospital, good enough patient exposure, j1 waivers available.

CONS- just started last yr, so lots of scheduling problems, many hospitalists dont teach residents properly, has half day clinic schedule, residents are not pleased with the place, needs a lot of overhaul in the program, no fellowships, doesnt seem to follow acgme guidelines like doing er rotations for 3 months!, brutal weather.

SUMMARY- overall it depends on your number of interviews, if you have more than 10 , dont bother going here.
    if less than 5, check it out. better than most of the crappy places in nyc though.

thenoonemedicineman likes this.
  27. DocSpy332

Medical Student
    Hey guys what do you think about the "interesting case" questions...what kind of answer is expected? I mean a case may be interesting because it is a rare diagnosis or because the outcome was unexpected or for personal reasons (eg. just because it was your first patient encounter). Does it matter? (I just want to be sincere, if asked, by telling a case that was interesting for me...but wasn't a difficult or rare case)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  28. Beastkiller

2+ Year Member

It’s probably like telling a joke. A good comedian makes the most ordinary thing interesting. I guess my point is it depends on how you talk about the case, which angle do you choose. Because every case has at least 2 party involved, right?

DocSpy332 likes this.
  29. Magenda

Actually I had this exact question and I had one case for each of these 2 meanings, I was always stating this question during the interview and the response I got was always ''whichever you want'', so I suppose both are correct, as long as it's interesting to you.

DocSpy332 likes this.
  30. DocSpy332

Medical Student
    Thank you both!!

31. IMreshopeful

5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    3 months EM! Did they forget what specialty you’re in?! That’s absurd. Sounds like an awful place

An IM residency should have the bare minimum requirement for EM. We have ICUs for critical care exposure.

32. thenoonemedicineman

Thank you, appreciate the info

33. Major procrastinator

Question that caught me off guard the most all season:

If you were a kitchen appliance, what would it be and why?

yurtboat and Beastkiller like this.
  34. Azmahkiani

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I laughed too hard at this...

35. qPCR

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How about "Who would you want to have dinner with"?

36. TheHardWorker

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys, ROL starts in 2 days. I believe we should start listing out our programs and get insight on how to rank them

sss2g2 and yurtboat like this.
  37. Beastkiller

2+ Year Member

What did you say? Lol.

38. yurtboat

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Happy to help
    I’m still in deep ponderance about my ROL

I had it all figured out until I went to the Pennsylvania hospital interview, leadership were so cool, residents extremely nice and happy. Location is amazing. Great bennys. Program seemed to fit like a glove. So now my choice for #1 is up for debate. I know deep down it’s right for me but I have 1 top tier interview that was always going to be #1. Real question of the heart versus the mind.

39. Magenda

Should we post it here? I posted it on the rank list thread and nobody responded to me lol

jykjm and ccmscuem like this.
  40. ccmscuem

ccmscuem SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Could you attach the rank list thread

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

41. Magenda

42. yurtboat

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
  43. qPCR

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah 'cause the thing is, AMG know very little about IMG-loaded programs, which are mostly Univ-affiliated or community ones.
    Anyone knows faculty members or senior residents who are IMG here? I only know rokshana who revealed her background in the previous post..

freespiriteddoctor likes this.
  44. Major procrastinator

instapot lol

Beastkiller likes this.
  45. Beastkiller

2+ Year Member

Nice. And I’ll be prepared for this question now.

46. TheHardWorker

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    let's just post it here to help everyone instead of moving to a new thread

Eyre, jykjm, yurtboat and 2 others like this.
  47. Dr. Opout

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd go with can opener. Not flashy or fancy, but efficient and reliably gets the job done everytime. Plus it's an opportunity to use the "can't opener" pun, which I'd imagine shoots you to the top of any rank list.

48. jykjm

Great idea!

49. Enzymaticdegradation

Completely agree. Reading that thread makes me not want to rank my programs at all lol

50. Beastkiller

2+ Year Member