This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys what do you think about the "interesting case" questions...what kind of answer is expected? I mean a case may be interesting because it is a rare diagnosis or because the outcome was unexpected or for personal reasons (eg. just because it was your first patient encounter). Does it matter? (I just want to be sincere, if asked, by telling a case that was interesting for me...but wasn't a difficult or rare case)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys what do you think about the "interesting case" questions...what kind of answer is expected? I mean a case may be interesting because it is a rare diagnosis or because the outcome was unexpected or for personal reasons (eg. just because it was your first patient encounter). Does it matter? (I just want to be sincere, if asked, by telling a case that was interesting for me...but wasn't a difficult or rare case)
It’s probably like telling a joke. A good comedian makes the most ordinary thing interesting. I guess my point is it depends on how you talk about the case, which angle do you choose. Because every case has at least 2 party involved, right?

Reactions: 1 user
Actually I had this exact question and I had one case for each of these 2 meanings, I was always stating this question during the interview and the response I got was always ''whichever you want'', so I suppose both are correct, as long as it's interesting to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s probably like telling a joke. A good comedian makes the most ordinary thing interesting. I guess my point is it depends on how you talk about the case, which angle do you choose. Because every case has at least 2 party involved, right?

Actually I had this exact question and I had one case for each of these 2 meanings, I was always stating this question during the interview and the response I got was always ''whichever you want'', so I suppose both are correct, as long as it's interesting to you.

Thank you both!!

hi
so you dont get any email before the interview.
interview is a panel one, mostly conversational, behavioural questions and maybe something about an interesting case.

PROS- very cheap city to stay in, decent sized hospital, faculty seem decent enough, very financially stable hospital, good enough patient exposure, j1 waivers available.

CONS- just started last yr, so lots of scheduling problems, many hospitalists dont teach residents properly, has half day clinic schedule, residents are not pleased with the place, needs a lot of overhaul in the program, no fellowships, doesnt seem to follow acgme guidelines like doing er rotations for 3 months!, brutal weather.

SUMMARY- overall it depends on your number of interviews, if you have more than 10 , dont bother going here.
if less than 5, check it out. better than most of the crappy places in nyc though.

3 months EM! Did they forget what specialty you’re in?! That’s absurd. Sounds like an awful place

An IM residency should have the bare minimum requirement for EM. We have ICUs for critical care exposure.

hi
so you dont get any email before the interview.
interview is a panel one, mostly conversational, behavioural questions and maybe something about an interesting case.

PROS- very cheap city to stay in, decent sized hospital, faculty seem decent enough, very financially stable hospital, good enough patient exposure, j1 waivers available.

CONS- just started last yr, so lots of scheduling problems, many hospitalists dont teach residents properly, has half day clinic schedule, residents are not pleased with the place, needs a lot of overhaul in the program, no fellowships, doesnt seem to follow acgme guidelines like doing er rotations for 3 months!, brutal weather.

SUMMARY- overall it depends on your number of interviews, if you have more than 10 , dont bother going here.
if less than 5, check it out. better than most of the crappy places in nyc though.
Thank you, appreciate the info

Question that caught me off guard the most all season:

If you were a kitchen appliance, what would it be and why?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, ROL starts in 2 days. I believe we should start listing out our programs and get insight on how to rank them

Hey guys, ROL starts in 2 days. I believe we should start listing out our programs and get insight on how to rank them
Happy to help
I’m still in deep ponderance about my ROL

I had it all figured out until I went to the Pennsylvania hospital interview, leadership were so cool, residents extremely nice and happy. Location is amazing. Great bennys. Program seemed to fit like a glove. So now my choice for #1 is up for debate. I know deep down it’s right for me but I have 1 top tier interview that was always going to be #1. Real question of the heart versus the mind.

Should we post it here? I posted it on the rank list thread and nobody responded to me lol

Members don't see this ad :)
This is AMG mainly right?
Could we start an IMG ROL specific thread?

Should we post it here? I posted it on the rank list thread and nobody responded to me lol

Yeah 'cause the thing is, AMG know very little about IMG-loaded programs, which are mostly Univ-affiliated or community ones.
Anyone knows faculty members or senior residents who are IMG here? I only know rokshana who revealed her background in the previous post..

Nice. And I’ll be prepared for this question now.
I'd go with can opener. Not flashy or fancy, but efficient and reliably gets the job done everytime. Plus it's an opportunity to use the "can't opener" pun, which I'd imagine shoots you to the top of any rank list.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah 'cause the thing is, AMG know very little about IMG-loaded programs, which are mostly Univ-affiliated or community ones.
Anyone knows faculty members or senior residents who are IMG here? I only know rokshana who revealed her background in the previous post..

Completely agree. Reading that thread makes me not want to rank my programs at all lol

Reactions: 6 users
I remember from an interview they told us that if we update myeras when we get the results, they will be able to see them, but I want someone to confirm as well. By the way, did you take your exam in late December? Because I could not understand if we will receive them after 3-4 weeks or later than that.

I also took it dec 23 and 29. I think we will get results by next week. And apparently if we want programs to know our score, we should "resend score" in eras. if we pass of course lol

seems like no one wants to start the ROL list, well I'll start since I have a short list
Cook County( In house GI fellowship)
St Louis University( In house GI fellowship)
Louisiana State University( In house GI fellowship)
Legacy Emanuel Center( no in house fellowships)
Chicago Rosalind Franklin Centegra( no in house fellowships)

Help me rank guys according to program reputation

Reactions: 5 users
seems like no one wants to start the ROL list, well I'll start since I have a short list

Do the in house fellowships take from within? And which program has a good track record of GI matches of IMGs?
Those should be at the top.

I would put St Louis University and Louisiana State University first since you need lots of academic activities to match into GI

Let me post my list as well, interested in GI, I would appreciate any input:

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. Rutgers NJMS
3. UConn
4. Mt. Sinai St. Luke/Roosevelt
5. MedStar Washington Hospital Center
6. Jackson Memorial Hospital/Miami
7. University of Arizona Tucson
8. St. Elizabeth/ Boston
9. Allegheny
10. Mount Auburn
11. UConn
12. Albany
13. Bridgeport/Yale
14. University of Oklahoma
15. Lankenau
16. Baystate

Reactions: 2 users

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. Rutgers NJMS
3. UConn
8. St. Elizabeth/ Boston
9. Allegheny
10. Mount Auburn
11. UConn
12. Albany
13. Bridgeport/Yale
15. Lankenau
16. Baystate

Wow!!! Amazing list!

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. Rutgers NJMS
3. UConn
8. St. Elizabeth/ Boston
9. Allegheny
10. Mount Auburn
11. UConn
12. Albany
13. Bridgeport/Yale
15. Lankenau
16. Baystate
I think you have your pick of some very solid places. Most of them should allow you the opportunity to participate in research and pursue something as competitive as GI. So it should come down to location and certain intangibles like fitting in with residents, resident satisfaction and camaraderie, and then diversity of patho. Combine those criteria with the ones that have in house fellowships and I think you'll have a good idea of how to rank. At the end of the day, you should want a place with lots of research, good exposure, attendings who teach well, happy residents, and a good location. You may not get all of them so it's up to you to prioritize what's important.

Does anyone have any info about Richmond U Staten Island? Been hearing various info about malignant NYC programs but didn't get the vibe during the interview. The residents, did look tired with dark circles around their eyes. Any info would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any info about Richmond U Staten Island? Been hearing various info about malignant NYC programs but didn't get the vibe during the interview. The residents, did look tired with dark circles around their eyes. Any info would be appreciated.

I interviewed there too. Overall, I felt like it was a lot better than many other programs in NYC. Not too sure about research opportunities though. Would like to know more about the program and the location as well.

Edit: PD seemed really nice

Last edited:
Alright, I'll go too if that's cool. Going for cards hopefully. I think my top 4 are good, just confused whether to go with advocate or UAB at 3. Thoughts about that, or the list in general?

1. Geisinger
2. FAU
3. Advocate masonic
4. UAB Montgomery
5. Ocala
6. Oak hill
7. Brandon
8. Parkview

Alright, I'll go too if that's cool. Going for cards hopefully. I think my top 4 are good, just confused whether to go with advocate or UAB at 3. Thoughts about that, or the list in general?

1. Geisinger
2. FAU
3. Advocate masonic
4. UAB Montgomery
5. Ocala
6. Oak hill
7. Brandon
8. Parkview

I’d go for the university program.

Well I'm an applicant too. Even though Cook County is a really decent community program, shouldn't we put Univ programs ahead as a general rule of thumb?

Do you have research/ GI contacts? If not, pick the program that gets the most inhouse fellows (this can be tricky, some programs have inhouse GI fellowship but don't always take their IM residents). GI has become VERY competitive, don't pay that much attention to the reputation when the programs are very close to each other (I think your top 3 is very close to each other in terms of reputation, but others can confirm).

Well I'm an applicant too. Even though Cook County is a really decent community program, shouldn't we put Univ programs ahead as a general rule of thumb?

there are community programs with much better fellowship placements... it really depends

cook county is a famous hospital and they do have good fellowship placement and good research output

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. Rutgers NJMS
3. UConn
8. St. Elizabeth/ Boston
9. Allegheny
10. Mount Auburn
11. UConn
12. Albany
13. Bridgeport/Yale
15. Lankenau
16. Baystate

congrats! these are beautiful programs.
I would put Mount Auburn upper in your list

congrats! these are beautiful programs.
I would put Mount Auburn upper in your list
The only thing that 'scared' me with Mt Auburn is their GI match (almost nobody matched the past few years) and they don't have inhouse GI either....but on the other hand it's a pretty small program and maybe nobody was interested in GI (?) I did like the program a lot during my interview to be honest, and the location is amazing (and also they might sponsor H1b, even though they were not clear on that).

Ranking can be really subjective in terms of preference in location (weather, relatives
The only thing that 'scared' me with Mt Auburn is their GI match (almost nobody matched the past few years) and they don't have inhouse GI either....but on the other hand it's a pretty small program and maybe nobody was interested in GI (?) I did like the program a lot during my interview to be honest, and the location is amazing (and also they might sponsor H1b, even though they were not clear on that).

makes sense, but it has the name and if you work hard you will definitely match GI in a good place. and as u say probably nobody wanted GI in previous u never know lol. You can email residents and ask

I know it is close to the end of the season.
But I would appreciate any input on interview for Lankenau medical center.
Thank you

Boom!

And just like that we're all going to enter the last phase of this process...

Best of luck to everyone

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8 users
Medstar Baltimore, Jefferson (Aria) Health Northeast rejections today

Status
Not open for further replies.