IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very chill. You only interview with one faculty member. Mainly conversational +/- one behavioral question. Program is changing for the better and fellowship match list is also pretty solid.

Thanks so much that was so reassuring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone IVed at San Ysidro? Its a new program in San Diego

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone IVed at San Ysidro? Its a new program in San Diego
I haven’t been there myself, but have heard they give you medical scenarios and ask you to walk them through your next steps, what other info do you need, and how you would manage. I’ve got No other specifics, but was told they are pretty straight forward. Kinda weird tho as a new program I feel like they should be spending their effort tryna recruit and sell their program instead of doing silly pimping.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven’t been there myself, but have heard they give you medical scenarios and ask you to walk them through your next steps, what other info do you need, and how you would manage. I’ve got No other specifics, but was told they are pretty straight forward. Kinda weird tho as a new program I feel like they should be spending their effort tryna recruit and sell their program instead of doing silly pimping.
OHH, woooooow. Wasnt expecting that either, for the same reason you stated.
Thanks for the heads up!

Guys I would like to have some infos about the J1 vs H1b issue. I'm coming to the US to work in academic heme/onc and looking forward to a basic science research heavy career after fellowship. Unfortunately I only got 2 uni prog invites and the rest are all community programs. These community programs don't want to give me the H1b, which I think would be better for somebody like me.

I believe that completing the fellowship with a J1 would make very hard for me to get a junior faculty position if I have to work in an underserved area to complete my J1 waiver. What are your thoughts?

Also what are the chances to actually get a J1 waiver job as an hematologist/oncologist? What is the actual risk I will have to move back to my own country?

If I move to the US I will also have to bring my fiancè with me and she has to leave her job in our country to follow me. For this reason the prospect of having to be forced to come back home after 7 years would be nonsense. I don't know what to do.

Would appreciate any thoughts and advice, thanks!

P.S. My stats are 260s/270s/CS first attempt - awaiting Step 3 results. YOG 2018

Guys I would like to have some infos about the J1 vs H1b issue. I'm coming to the US to work in academic heme/onc and looking forward to a basic science research heavy career after fellowship. Unfortunately I only got 2 uni prog invites and the rest are all community programs. These community programs don't want to give me the H1b, which I think would be better for somebody like me.

I believe that completing the fellowship with a J1 would make very hard for me to get a junior faculty position if I have to work in an underserved area to complete my J1 waiver. What are your thoughts?

Also what are the chances to actually get a J1 waiver job as an hematologist/oncologist? What is the actual risk I will have to move back to my own country?

If I move to the US I will also have to bring my fiancè with me and she has to leave her job in our country to follow me. For this reason the prospect of having to be forced to come back home after 7 years would be nonsense. I don't know what to do.

Would appreciate any thoughts and advice, thanks!

P.S. My stats are 260s/270s/CS first attempt - awaiting Step 3 results. YOG 2018
If I were you AND your research is actually significant and impactful (you know, a research heavy career does not always mean your research has been cited by other researchers), I would get a green card first before applying to residency. Your YOG is just 2018, so applying to residency next seasons would have been a very practical option IMHO.

Anyway, you'll find it hard to find an academic position in a top institution with either J1 or H1B. But, you'll easily find a position as a hematologist/oncologist during the waiver. You can even find a faculty position during the waiver if you work on this smartly from the early stage. I hope you'll end up a good uni position as a resident!

If I were you AND your research is actually significant and impactful (you know, a research heavy career does not always mean your research has been cited by other researchers), I would get a green card first before applying to residency. Your YOG is just 2018, so applying to residency next seasons would have been a very practical option IMHO.

Anyway, you'll find it hard to find an academic position in a top institution with either J1 or H1B. But, you'll easily find a position as a hematologist/oncologist during the waiver. You can even find a faculty position during the waiver if you work on this smartly from the early stage. I hope you'll end up a good uni position as a resident!

I need more pubs and citations to get a GC unfortunately. I contacted a lawyer but I was discouraged from applying this year. Can you expand more on the faculty position during the waiver? How would that be possible? Thx

Guys...i hve an upcoming interview at Brookdale (conrads program)
And im not sure if i should spend the money to go to nyc and attend it..

Hows this program? And is it worth a shot??

Depends on how many IVs you have had...if you have had more than 10-15 and are comfortable with them, then you don’t need to have the interview to have enough to match and then it would be more if the program appealed to you in some way.

Hey everyone! Can you guys share your opinions on Texas Tech El Paso, Cleveland clinic/Fairview, and Mt Sinai Bronx. I want to go into cards and I know it's extremely difficult . I don't know exactly how I should rank these three.

i took step 3 recently and i am not sure how I did on it. Should I ipdate the programs with step 3 score ? or shouldni tell them after match as i took it for the purpose of h1b visa

Members don't see this ad :)
Morristown NJ interview in a few hours, any previous experience? Thanks

Hey guys, I had an interview today at a program where the doctor asked me if I would rank them against a Uni progrAm, I laughed it off and gave a generic answer. He apologized, but the question took me so off guard that when he asked me if I have any questions for him, I just asked him for advice for this match and said thank you that’s it. He also asked a medical question. And I think I was just taken off guard. Would this show that I have less interest because I barely asked him questions? What do you think of this situation?

Hey guys, I had an interview today at a program where the doctor asked me if I would rank them against a Uni progrAm, I laughed it off and gave a generic answer. He apologized, but the question took me so off guard that when he asked me if I have any questions for him, I just asked him for advice for this match and said thank you that’s it. He also asked a medical question. And I think I was just taken off guard. Would this show that I have less interest because I barely asked him questions? What do you think of this situation?

While not strictly an illegal question, it’s close.
That place is full o red flags.

While not strictly an illegal question, it’s close.
That place is full o red flags.

The strange part is that I asked the other applicants and it seems like I was the only one asked like this. Idk whatever weird day

I personally didn't attend my interview there, but I have a friend that did and who actually thought it wasn't too bad. but he got offered the position right there on the spot, so if you do go - be prepared

i took step 3 recently and i am not sure how I did on it. Should I ipdate the programs with step 3 score ? or shouldni tell them after match as i took it for the purpose of h1b visa

If you did so well on step 3 and you think it will redeem some weakness (once you have there result), it is worth updating. But if you have good steps 1 and 2 scores and step 3 score is your worst performance I think you should hold it of. This is my personal opinion and I admit I am no expert.

Sinai Hosp of Baltimore rejection number 2 for the day

I just got done with my last interview of the season!

Well unless one program decides to send me an interview after today

Anyone interviewed at NY Metropolitan hospital? Please kindly share your experience!

To me it is a no-brainer that for someone in your situation H1B is preferable to J1. I declined to prematch at one of the uni places you mentioned, specifically ranked at the top only programs that offered H1B visas, ended up matching at Jacobi, then got into the fellowship program of my choice (with a GC in hand) and ultimately a dream job faculty position. Yes, it can be a little scary applying for fellowships while on an H1B visa but in the long-term you will be thankful you did not start on a J1 even if your fellowship interview pool is limited by the H1B (in case you do not have a GC by that time). I have seen many FMGs choose J1 over H1B and then regret it in their final years of fellowship.

Thank you so much for your insight, that really helps! It's great to see someone in a similar situation that has done so well.

how do you guys feel after interview? I feel some what bad and some what ok. Never good! haha. There were some questions I think I answered my best, but some questions that I answered without brain. Anyway, My interview season is over now and just anxiously waiting to be matched (hopefully and wishfully) I hope you guys have/had productive season. May god bless us all, and best luck to all of us.

Reactions: 9 users
how do you guys feel after interview? I feel some what bad and some what ok. Never good! haha. There were some questions I think I answered my best, but some questions that I answered without brain. Anyway, My interview season is over now and just anxiously waiting to be matched (hopefully and wishfully) I hope you guys have/had productive season. May god bless us all, and best luck to all of us.

I’m not sure if it’s just me but I feel I’m more hard on myself when thinking about my interview performance this month. I’m hoping it’s just because I’m more nervous getting closer to match and not because I’m actually starting to get burned out and sucking more lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone interviewed at Saint Vincent, Worcester MA? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Has anyone interviewed at Saint Vincent, Worcester MA? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Really nice group of people. You’ll have three interviews
Their questions revolve on difficult scenarios: with team member, with staff, patients, etc...
It also depends on who you get because there’s a couple of other faculty you’ll interview with.

How is doximity for creating ROLs based on fellowship match rates? From the information I have available, all my top choices have similar match rates for the fellowship I want to apply to (which is my main criteria for creating my ROL) so I am using geographical location for my tie breaker, but I just want to be sure that this wont affect my fellowship chances in the future.

Has anyone interviewed at St. Luke's, Chesterfield, MO? Any info would be appreciated? Thank you!

Would you accept a prematch from Jamaica hospital? Why or why not? I’m so confused.

Would you accept a prematch from Jamaica hospital? Why or why not? I’m so confused.
I think we would all need to know more about the overall situation to give solid advice.
eg. do you have 10+ total interviews or more like 3? Is being in NYC a priority for you or your family? etc.

I think the senior members will jump in with some good insight if you could just clarify your situation a bit more.
General consensus though is if you have 10-15 interviews, you should probably decline.

Last edited:
Has anyone interviewed at St. Joseph's Mercy Oakland - Pontiac, Michigan? Can anyone give more information about the IV day and the group IV and how it went please? Would really appreciate it, thank you!

I went there, and I had very strong vibe he already pick strong candidate he wants to personally talk with.
and this is quote from PD Conrad " I don't read personal statement or MSPE, they all saying only the nicest thing about you if you have something special please tell us, I am not gonna interview with all of you it is not fair who get big shot and others are not, we already know your score"
= so fact is he dosn't read MSPE, personal statement, he will not interview each one of you yet, he will talk with the very special in his mind, whatever the reason, if you are in his special list, he will talks with you in the hallway. and offer prematch deal on the same day...
they have so disrespectful ****ty way to treat other candidate who come to IV, they told to some of their special candidate( only one who picked before and spoke in hallway with PD), please wait we have missing ERAS data from your records, and all others can go they offer prematch deal on spot.
this is so disrespectful to other candidates who put time and effort to come to your program. if you have already have someone in mind, and not even gonna put effort to know other candidates ( ex not reading their PS, MSPE, CV,,, iV session was so superficia questions, me and other 4 candidates felt the interviewer just want to kill times , hoping just over with )
if you have more than 10 IV don't go,
the hospital it self is total mess, and the location is the worst, it is Ghettoishiest place ever! all the residents and faculties talking about is how difficult to deal with their patients.. they seemed so over with patients, not caring....

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users