IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guys i would appreciate some insight on whether this ROL seems right, some info: green card holder, interested in GI or Cards (undecided).

1.University of Connecticut
2.Rutgers NJMS (Newark)
3.St. Elizabeth
4.SUNY Downstate
5.UPMC Mercy
6.Englewood
7.Montefiore Wakefield
8.Advocate Masonic
9.Newark Beth Israel
10.St Agnes
11.Jersey Shore Perth Amboy
12.Lincoln
13.Metropolitan
14.Griffin Health
15.Trinitas Regional Medical Center

Members don't see this ad.

Guys i would appreciate some insight on whether this ROL seems right, some info: green card holder, interested in GI or Cards (undecided).

1.University of Connecticut
2.Rutgers NJMS (Newark)
3.St. Elizabeth
4.SUNY Downstate
5.UPMC Mercy
6.Englewood
7.Montefiore Wakefield
8.Advocate Masonic
9.Newark Beth Israel
10.St Agnes
11.Jersey Shore Perth Amboy
12.Lincoln
13.Metropolitan
14.Griffin Health
15.Trinitas Regional Medical Center
Seems pretty solid. But NJMS does have a better Cards/GI placement than UConn

Seems pretty solid. But NJMS does have a better Cards/GI placement than UConn
Your right, NJMS does have a better fellowship track record. Im kind on thr fence between St E and Suny whether i should reverse the order, they seem pretty equivalent but maybe Suny has a better brand name.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your right, NJMS does have a better fellowship track record. Im kind on thr fence between St E and Suny whether i should reverse the order, they seem pretty equivalent but maybe Suny has a better brand name.

I would disagree, this year in Uconn GI was the bomb. As of cardio, I would agree lol.

For the SUNY VS STE, it all depends what you want out of your residency program experience. Honeslty, I'm the type of person to want a reasonable QOL and an OK fellowship match list. And quite honestly, that isn't SUNY D.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Quick question all - what do I wear for a second look? A full suit like the interview day or formal wear? Carry a white coat - yes or no? Thank you in advance.

Any input on St. Joseph Mercy Oakland, Pontiac MI? The program was really nice but unsure about fellowship matches.

Hey guys! whats your opinion about LSU Shreveport vs Albany vs Lankenau for GI ??

Hey guys! whats your opinion about LSU Shreveport vs Albany vs Lankenau for GI ??
LSU is below par for GI
Albany is between fine and good
Not sure about Lankenau

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

How does this look like?

1) Advocate christ medical center/ UIC
2) Lankenau medical center
3) Kansas University Medical Center - Wichita
4) Rosalind Franklin University - Mchenry, Il
5) Staten Island University Hospital - Northwell

Interested in GI/cards

Guys non us img interested in endocrinology. Between cook county and Abington memorial which should I rank higher?? Thanks.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using SDN mobile
Based on places I interviewed, both faculty and residents in community or university affiliated community programs emphasized it would be hard for me to pursue fellowship in GI if I do residency at their program. Interestingly, lots them mentioned "If you want to do pulmonology/critical care, cardiology, GI.....this is not good program for you, but if you want to do infectious disease, endocrinology.....we have so many of our program graduates who succeeded..." I believe those competitive programs require close mentoring during residency and procedure training. Endo and ID for example, don't require lots of interventional procedures so you don't need to bring lots of skills from residency.... That is just my take on my experience...

Last edited:
Based on places I interviewed, both faculty and residents in community or university affiliated community programs emphasized it would be hard for me to pursue fellowship in GI if I do residency at their program. Interestingly, lots them mentioned "If you want to do demonology/critical care, cardiology, GI.....this is not good program for you, but if you want to do infectious disease, endocrinology.....we have so many of our program graduates who succeeded..." I believe those competitive programs require close mentoring during residency and procedure training. Endo and ID for example, don't require lots of interventional procedures so you don't need to bring lots of skills from residency.... That is just my take on my experience...

I'm sorry but I lost it at "demonology" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Regarding your point though, IMO university doesn't always equal better. Though I do agree with you that in most cases, an average university program does provide much better mentoring, research opportunities, and typically has a more prestigious name than the average community program, thus being a much better choice if you are interested in highly competitive fellowships. However, there are many programs which are technically considered to be community programs (ex CCF) with excellent fellowship placements in these fields, probably a lot better than most lower tier uni programs. Some community programs may have strong affiliations with a university and as a results have more resources to provide to their residents, whereas others are pretty much affiliated in name only.

Just like all community programs are not created equal, the community vs university program label sometimes isn't the best indicator of a program's success. In the end it really is program dependent.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How likely are programs to sponsor H1B if you ask them, even though on their website the say they only sponsor J1?

My interviewers were never able to answer the question when I asked. I'm afraid to contact the DIO of the hospital to ask about this because of repercussions on where the program may rank me.

Any advice? Should I ask before ranking or better not to?

Im sorry but I lost it at "demonology" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Regarding your point though, IMO university doesn't always equal better. Thought I do agree with you that in most cases, an average university program does provide much better mentoring, research opportunities, and typically has a more prestigious name than the average community program, thus being a much better choice if you are interested in highly competitive fellowships. However, there are many programs which are technically considered to be community programs (ex CCF) with excellent fellowship placements these fields, probably a lot better than most lower tier uni programs. Some community programs may have strong affiliations with a university and as a results have more resources to provide to their residents, whereas others are pretty much affiliated in name only.

Just like all community programs are not created equal, the community vs university program label sometimes isn't the best indicator of a program's success. In the end it really is program dependent.

Demonology might have been auto-correct but it is not a bad idea. If nothing in real medicine works out, I can try to create a residency and fellowship program that focuses on exorcism to cure all disease that can not be cured by modern medicine such as stage 4 small cell carcinoma. I need just few volunteers and I will register American society of clinical demonology! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

On a serious note I agree. I interviewed at a university affiliated community program with almost 0 fellowship success rate and a fantastic non-university community academic medical center with multiple subspeciality cardiology and vascular medicine fellowships in-house. The program has good relationships with all universities within the region and lets residents do offsite electives early on to build networks. Even if it's a tiny community program, all you need is a dedicated faculty that will put in the time to call their friend in a fellowship program and get you electives and help you build network. Even top tier universities won't get you there unless the your faculty/PD vouch for you.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
How likely are programs to sponsor H1B if you ask them, even though on their website the say they only sponsor J1?

My interviewers were never able to answer the question when I asked. I'm afraid to contact the DIO of the hospital to ask about this because of repercussions on where the program may rank me.

Any advice? Should I ask before ranking or better not to?
If they say only J1, that's exactly what they mean. H1B is expensive and requires the hospital to put effort to get it done. Programs that do J1 only are not desperate (they are desired by AMG, US-IMG, and Non-US-IMGs who will be happy with J1). So they have no motivation to get you H1B. They made their contract clear even before you applied.

If they say only J1, that's exactly what they mean. H1B is expensive and requires the hospital to put effort to get it done. Programs that do J1 only are not desperate (they are desired by AMG, US-IMG, and Non-US-IMGs who will be happy with J1). So they have no motivation to get you H1B. They made their contract clear even before you applied.
What if you match and then you can't get the J1 (let's say your country's dept. of health doesn't give you the statement of need)?. What happens then? Do they get a waiver from NRMP to let you go, or would they make the effort and get you the H1B? Any examples of similar situations in the past?

What if you match and then you can't get the J1 (let's say your country's dept. of health doesn't give you the statement of need)?. What happens then? Do they get a waiver from NRMP to let you go, or would they make the effort and get you the H1B? Any examples of similar situations in the past?
I would say it is not impossible but very unlikely they will bother with H1B regardless. Programs expect as to read what they offer and get into contract with them if we are good match. Programs don't need to put in much effort for J1 visa. ECFMG certification + Matching into a program will give you J1. H1B on the other hand requires the program to hire immigration lawyers and spend a lot of money to file the visa. I don't think programs will negotiate after match. It's easy to let you go if you match there knowing that they won't sponsor visa. It's your responsibility to make sure that you are applying, interviewing and ranking programs that can offer you the visa you can use. There will be lot's of unmatched people waiting for that spot to open who don't need visa or will take J1.

Just in case you might ask "what if I want to hire my own lawyer and spend my own money and the program just has to agree to sponsor H1B?" The answer to that is hospitals have a very long red-tape. It's not even about money. When a program wants to sponsor visa H1B the process has to start with program asking hospital for approval. within weeks it might be approved. Once it is approved, program funding from counting office. Most hospitals have fiscal year that will start in the fall, (August - September) to prepare budget. Fund will be available for someone who will match in 2021. They will not allow the process even if you pay for it. This includes if you need a pencils for your department budget is set months ahead, discussed, approved, and appropriated (leftover will be part of next budget).....

Hey guys! whats your opinion about Newark Beth Israel(RWJ)and North Shore medical center,(Salem) MA
Not decided on fellowship yet

Advice for interview at Abington hospital in PA anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys! whats your opinion about Newark Beth Israel(RWJ)and North Shore medical center,(Salem) MA
Not decided on fellowship yet

I'd also like to know more info on Salem hospital. Its such a small program, so it's hard to find much info/opinions online. Personally I liked it, the atmosphere seems good, residents seem happy (and they have a ping pong table, lol). I think around half of the people go into fellowships, and a few have matched into cards/GI in the past 2 years. Overall, especially if you don't mind a smaller town/program and are interested in a less competitive fellowship, I don't think it's too bad. They want to change the schedule to a 4+1 system, hopefully during this year. But the timeline is a bit uncertain there.

Cons: Salem, like Boston, seems quite expensive, and there's not much to do there. Also, there will be some changes to the leadership of the program (a new PD) this spring. Changes look promising, but some uncertainty also comes along with that, since we didn't get a chance to meet thing new PD and see what she's like.
I would also like to know more about how strong their affiliation is with Tufts is.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I just finished interviewing and am trying to finalize my ROL. I was hoping to get some feedback and input on it thus far. I'm interested in cardio or heme/onc and potentially academic medicine. I'm a US-IMG originally from the northeast and would like to ideally stay in this region, but I'm not locked to this area.

1) Penn Hospital of UPenn
2) UConn Categorical
3) NYU Winthrop - Recently started a med school, so its university now with a solid fellowship match list
4) Medstar Washington Hospital Center
5) UConn Primary Care
6) Albany Medical Center
7) SUNY Upstate
8) Florida Atlantic University
9) UMMS Baystate
10) SUNY Downstate
11) Rochester General Hospital
12) St. Jospeh's University Medical Center, Paterson NJ
13) Newark Beth Israel, Newark NJ
14) NYP Brooklyn Methodist
15) Zucker Northwell Staten Island
16) UCF Ocala
17) Yale-Waterbury
18) NYP Queens
19) Hackensack Palisades
20) Mount Sinai Elmhurst - Queens, NY
21) Zucker Northwell Mather Hospital

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, I just finished interviewing and am trying to finalize my ROL. I was hoping to get some feedback and input on it thus far. I'm interested in cardio or heme/onc and potentially academic medicine. I'm a US-IMG originally from the northeast and would like to ideally stay in this region, but I'm not locked to this area.

2) UConn Categorical
3) NYU Winthrop - Recently started a med school, so its university now with a solid fellowship match list
5) UConn Primary Care
6) Albany Medical Center
7) SUNY Upstate
9) UMMS Baystate
10) SUNY Downstate
16) UCF Ocala
17) Yale-Waterbury
18) NYP Queens
19) Hackensack Palisades

Hi, Whats your opinion on Newark beth israel , Newark NJ....

Thank you

2) UConn Categorical
5) UConn Primary Care
6) Albany Medical Center
7) SUNY Upstate
9) UMMS Baystate
10) SUNY Downstate
16) UCF Ocala
17) Yale-Waterbury
18) NYP Queens
19) Hackensack Palisades

I would agree. Probably would rank the same as you did. Mind explaining the rationale to rank Medstar WHC above UConn PC?

NBI is a very solid program with a strong reputation in Jersey. It's probably an upper tier university-affiliated program in Jersey. I liked the PD and all the residents I met. They all seemed very happy and were super easy to talk to. Their fellowship placements are slightly below average. I know for cardio, they haven't taken anyone in house for the past two years and when I asked about this years match, the program coordinator said she couldn't reveals this years match info to me, so that makes me think it wasn't the best. They have a Q2 long call on the floors, which i didnt like, but they dont have many floor months in general. Lastly, I know their cardio transplant was facing some heat and was being investigated. Not sure if this has been resolved or is currently ongoing. I put St. Joe's over them because I heard NBI residents are slightly overworked and Newark isn't the best area.

I would agree. Probably would rank the same as you did. Mind explaining the rationale to rank Medstar WHC above UConn PC?

I think they're both solid programs. My rationale for WHC was that they stronger fellowship placements, strong Georgetown affiliation, strong research, and prefer to live in DC over Farmington if I have the choice. Overall, they are probably similar in strength (in my opinion), but living in DC put me over the top for WHC.

NBI is a very solid program with a strong reputation in Jersey. It's probably an upper tier university-affiliated program in Jersey. I liked the PD and all the residents I met. They all seemed very happy and were super easy to talk to. Their fellowship placements are slightly below average. I know for cardio, they haven't taken anyone in house for the past two years and when I asked about this years match, the program coordinator said she couldn't reveals this years match info to me, so that makes me think it wasn't the best. They have a Q2 long call on the floors, which i didnt like, but they dont have many floor months in general. Lastly, I know their cardio transplant was facing some heat and was being investigated. Not sure if this has been resolved or is currently ongoing. I put St. Joe's over them because I heard NBI residents are slightly overworked and Newark isn't the best area.
Thank you Alexxman

Q2 w/ long call + Newark? That's gonna be a no from me dawg...

• Haha
Can you guys share your opinion on Uconn NB vs St Elizabeth Boston vs ECU?

Looking for the best clinical training and decent research opportunities

Lol...I love St joes, but it’s not like Paterson is any better than Newark...

Hey guys, opinions please
Interested in GI
UCSF Fresno vs Cleveland Clinic Florida

Montefiore Wakefield: Do they have an in-house GI fellowship? Please remind me!

This is how my ROL is going until know, any suggestions?

1-CCF-FL
2-Abington Memorial PA
3-UCSF/Fresno
4-Mt. Sinai SLR
5-Jacobi
6-Stamford CT

Interested in Cards/GI, QOL and not an NY lifestyle fan.

Hello everyone. Hope this interview season is treating you guys well.
Any input will be well appreciated on ROL for Internal Medicine.

1. SUNY Downstate
2. BUFFALO UNIVERSITY
3. Texas Tech El Paso.
4. Montefiore Wakefield
5. Flushing Hospital
6. Jersey Shore Perth Amboy
7. Beaumont Dearborn

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Can anyone share their iv experience at the Wright center?

Just got another interview from UPMC Mercy after a 2 and a half month drought!!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone, didn't get a response earlier:
Can someone tell me about CCF FL vs Einstein Philly vs case metro
interested in GI fellowship

Hey guys, opinions please
Interested in GI
UCSF Fresno vs Cleveland Clinic Florida
Both are solid university affiliates. For GI, I know Fresno hasn’t taken in-house in the last couple of years whereas CCF Florida has. Also the fellowship match list overall is better for CCF-Florida either way.

This is how my ROL is going until know, any suggestions?

1-CCF-FL
2-Abington Memorial PA
3-UCSF/Fresno
4-Mt. Sinai SLR
5-Jacobi
6-Stamford CT

Interested in Cards/GI, QOL and not an NY lifestyle fan.
So you probably already know this but I’ll say it anyway: SLR and Jacobi have a considerably better fellowship match lists than Your 2-3 but If you hate the NY lifestyle that much, it’s understandable.

Both are solid university affiliates. For GI, I know Fresno hasn’t taken in-house in the last couple of years whereas CCF Florida has. Also the fellowship match list overall is better for CCF-Florida either way.
Thank youu

How would you guys compare NBI v, Englewood v. Jersey City Medical Cent?

Guess pls help me rank my top 3. I'm thinking of doing a fellowship although I don't know which yet. Leaning towards heme/onc

1. UConn
2. Case Western/MetroHealth
3. Medstar Washington

Hi all!
I'm currently confused about which one of the following two programs to rank higher based on academic standing/fellowship match: Albany Medical Center and Westchester Medical Center.
Planning to pursue a hem/onc fellowship.

Hi all!
I'm currently confused about which one of the following two programs to rank higher based on academic standing/fellowship match: Albany Medical Center and Westchester Medical Center.
Planning to pursue a hem/onc fellowship.

Albany doesn’t have an in house H/O program. I’m not sure about Westchester, but if it does, I’d lean towards that

The last day of the season is January 31st, isn't it?
I mean no interviews in February! Right?