IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys just to confirm. ECFMG certification is mandatory before starting residency right? Not before match day? Hoping I'll be certified sometime next week anyways.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys just to confirm. ECFMG certification is mandatory before starting residency right? Not before match day? Hoping I'll be certified sometime next week anyways.

This depends on a few things
-If you’re from a Caribbean school, it’s not really expected to have your ECFMG certificate before ranking because most Caribbean students apply before they graduate and some apply before finishing their exams. This is usually acceptable
- you should have had all the exams done (step 1,2ck, and Cs) before ranking, and most programs don’t care if you’re ecfmg certified on paper as long as you fulfill all the requirements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-If you’re from a Caribbean school, it’s not really expected to have your ECFMG certificate before ranking because most Caribbean students apply before they graduate and some apply before finishing their exams. This is usually acceptable
- you should have had all the exams done (step 1,2ck, and Cs) before ranking, and most programs don’t care if you’re ecfmg certified on paper as long as you fulfill all the requirements

Also some programs need certification by ranking, but that’s certainly a few, not all.

Members don't see this ad :)

Not really. At this point the whole "ECFMG Verified/Certified" issue for the Match itself is irrelevant.

To actually answer the OP's question, you only need your certification before starting residency. Your Match can NOT be vacated if you don't have certification by Match Day. But it can be vacated if you don't have it by the start of your program. That said, most programs will have a little leniency for that since it's much easier to have a resident or two on "research" or some other easily made up rotation for a month or two than it is to have to go out and find another resident or two on the "open market".

Trump just announced a European travel ban. Initially for 30 days but honestly at this stage who knows how long it will go on or if we’ll even be allowed to attend visa appointments in the embassy.
Regarding the proclamation announced. At some point it is mentioned:

The Secretary of State shall implement this proclamation as it applies to visas pursuant to such procedures as the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, may establish.

Does anyone know how to interprete that?

Regarding the proclamation announced. At some point it is mentioned:

The Secretary of State shall implement this proclamation as it applies to visas pursuant to such procedures as the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, may establish.

Does anyone know how to interprete that?
I've got $20 that says even the Secretaries of State and DHS don't have any idea how to interpret that statement.

Reactions: 6 users
Not really. At this point the whole "ECFMG Verified/Certified" issue for the Match itself is irrelevant.

To actually answer the OP's question, you only need your certification before starting residency. Your Match can NOT be vacated if you don't have certification by Match Day. But it can be vacated if you don't have it by the start of your program. That said, most programs will have a little leniency for that since it's much easier to have a resident or two on "research" or some other easily made up rotation for a month or two than it is to have to go out and find another resident or two on the "open market".

Why do some programs say they need certification from IMGs tho before ranking? Some programs asked me to bring in my certificate. But I guess if you interviewed at programs that knew you weren’t certified, then it should be okay...

Why do some programs say they need certification from IMGs tho before ranking? Some programs asked me to bring in my certificate. But I guess if you interviewed at programs that knew you weren’t certified, then it should be okay...

Programs can have their own internal rules about certification/verification for ranking. But you would have known that at the time of application/interview so it's irrelevant at this point.

the question that was asked was "do you need ECFMG certification for Match Day" and the answer, at least from the NRMP's perspective is "no". Any program that required it wouldn't have ranked you anyway so problem solved.

Because they have added that to discourage I/FMGs or they don’t know the difference between verification needed to participate in the match and certification that is needed to start residency.

F@#$% the NRMP and their "This email is to inform you that you are eligible to participate in the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program® (SOAP®)".... :sendoff::wtf:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
F@#$% the NRMP and their "This email is to inform you that you are eligible to participate in the Match Week Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program® (SOAP®)".... :sendoff::wtf:
You know that is sent out to everyone that is eligible for the match...otherwise you would get an email saying that you were being pulled from the match... would rather get the former than the latter...

I did not get the soap eligibility email. Anyone knows why and if I should do something about it ?

I did not get the soap eligibility email. Anyone knows why and if I should do something about it ?
check your spam.
++check your R3 platform (you should be able to see that you are soap eligible)

Kinda glad the covid 19 distracted me from the match stress lol who’s with me

Reactions: 2 users
Kinda glad the covid 19 distracted me from the match stress lol who’s with me
for me it kinda increased the stress about whats going to happen if I match.
Till now I was only thinking what's going to happen if I dont match..

lol :p

Reactions: 4 users
How many interviews were offered to applicants with the score range of 240-245 in both steps?

I applied to little under 90 and got 30+ interviews with those stats. Other friends that needed visas got ~15+. If you look at the data from 2018, only 19% of the people with 240-250's didnt match, so you're in good territory.

Definitely has distracted me from the match. But increased my stress about the future no end. I’m not sure if I match if I’ll even be allowed to go. I’m working at the front lines of this thing in Europe and based on how the US trajectory of infection is being predicted they will also be on lock down by the time we all arrive and will start work in hospitals that are going to be busier than any group of new residents has ever faced before. I imagine the US might still grant visas to residents even from countries they have banned as based on what we are facing here, they are sure as hell going to need doctors.
Some institutions are making covid pts attending only...
Though I hear in Italy they are having to use medical students to help with pts.

Best of luck everyone! May we all match at the program that is best for our career and our future goals (irrespective of ROL), God willing.

Reactions: 10 users
Good luck everyone! hopefully we all match and dont find any troubles in getting visas to go to US. latter seems way more important now. 2020 is a mess

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck everyone! hopefully we all match and dont find any troubles in getting visas to go to US. latter seems way more important now. 2020 is a mess
I think that there is no reason to stop issuing visas, because if there is an active travel ban it just doesnt matter if you have visa or not.

However, thats just my thought :)

Good luck for tomorrow everyone, hopefully all of us will get some good news Thank you for all the help and advice given on this thread!

Reactions: 8 users
24h guys! Good luck to all of us!!!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Goodluck guys. We have all worked very hard

Reactions: 9 users
Fingers crossed for all of us!

Reactions: 7 users
Does anything show on the email before we open the whole thing?

I think the email just sends a link to NRMP, it's not till you log into NRMP that it reveals the match result

EDIT: Sorry! I was wrong! The email told us directly whether we matched or not.

Last edited:
My palms are sweaty, knees weak, and I feel like vomiting

Reactions: 3 users
So close, yet so far. Good luck to everyone here. It's been great to have this place for advice and support, and I hope we all are able to start our medical careers this July!! Not long to go now...

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck everyone! Let the week start with a bang!