EcuMD69

MD / Postdoctoral Research Fellow
2+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2018
Status
Post Doc
Guys I finally matched! I am a reapplicant IMG with low board scores. Thank you all for your support and congratulations to everyone who matched! For the ones who didn't, focus on SOAP right now and apply smartly! I will share my story later!

Thanks to everyone in this group!!!

Feb 27, 2020
Status
Post Doc
Caribbean Student. Failed step 1. Retake 205
My wife step 1, 199.

Step 2 248 and 245. . If I had asked for any advice on what to do from this site a year ago, people would say quit you wont get it, youre an IMG its mission impossible.

We matched, if we can do it with our history, literally anybody can
yog?

Reactions: Potter2394
About the Ads

winstonsmith

2+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2017
Guys I have matched! Thank you everyone for all the support over this past stressful of a year. Congratulations to those who've matched, you've worked hard and overcome the hardships that come with trying to match as an IMG.
To those who had an unsuccessful match, as a reapplicant myself, I know it sucks. Don't give up. Try to SOAP. If SOAP doesn't work, start early and get you application ready for the next cycle. I know this effin match process is long af, my life has been in limbo for so long, but thinks work out eventually. Good luck!
Congrats Bobbbyyy! You really deserve it! I’m really glad for you and good luck to anyone in SOAP!

Reactions: Bobbbyyyy
Aug 14, 2019
Status
Medical Student
MATCHED! (Internal Medicine Categorical)

US-IMG (SGU)
Step 1: 230
Step 2CK: 220
Step 2CS: 2nd attempt
NO publications. NO research.
YOG: Will graduate in April 2020. (delayed my graduation)

Interview: ONLY one interview received! (without CS score at the time of interview)

already know where I'm going for the next 3 years!

Message me if you have any questions. I'll try my best to help. Congrats to those who matched! And to those who did not match this cycle, you can do it during SOAP or next cycle! don't give up!! we have come a LOOONG way.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Guys I have matched! Thank you everyone for all the support over this past stressful of a year. Congratulations to those who've matched, you've worked hard and overcome the hardships that come with trying to match as an IMG.
To those who had an unsuccessful match, as a reapplicant myself, I know it sucks. Don't give up. Try to SOAP. If SOAP doesn't work, start early and get you application ready for the next cycle. I know this effin match process is long af, my life has been in limbo for so long, but thinks work out eventually. Good luck!
Big big big congrats !!!!! So well deserved

Jul 10, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Matched! With only two interviews, it had been a journey in mid of giant uncertainty. But it happened! For the following applicants, don’t feel disheartened when there are only limited number of interviews. Just give it your best shot and make it count!

Feb 27, 2020
Status
Post Doc

US-IMG (SGU)

Interview: ONLY one interview received! (without CS score at the time of interview)

Message me if you have any questions. I'll try my best to help. Good luck with SOAP everyone! we have come a LOOONG way.
yog?

About the Ads

DocSpy332

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2017
Guys I have matched! (in IM or FM) Thank you everyone for all the support over this past stressful of a year. Congratulations to those who've matched, you've worked hard and overcome the hardships that come with trying to match as an IMG.
To those who had an unsuccessful match, as a reapplicant myself, I know it sucks. Don't give up. Try to SOAP. If SOAP doesn't work, start early and get your application ready for the next cycle. Apply to multiple specialties. I know this effin match process is long as hell, my life has been in limbo for so long, but things work out eventually. Good luck!
Hey Bobbbyyyy CONGRATS!!!
You really deserve it. That was a great achievement &&& you helped many of us during the whole process!

Mar 22, 2019
Status
Post Doc
Matched!
Thank you, every body. You helped a lot during this long journey.

Aronnax

7+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2011
Status

US-IMG (SGU)

Message me if you have any questions. I'll try my best to help. Good luck with SOAP everyone! we have come a LOOONG way.
Congratulations to you my friend!! I also matched after failing CS. I had 6 IVs but as you've proven it only takes one good one to do the job!

Never visiting this website again!! So happy :)

Mar 26, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Guys I have matched! (in IM or FM) Thank you everyone for all the support over this past stressful of a year. Congratulations to those who've matched, you've worked hard and overcome the hardships that come with trying to match as an IMG.
To those who had an unsuccessful match, as a reapplicant myself, I know it sucks. Don't give up. Try to SOAP. If SOAP doesn't work, start early and get your application ready for the next cycle. Apply to multiple specialties. I know this effin match process is long as hell, my life has been in limbo for so long, but things work out eventually. Good luck!
Congrats bobbyyyy!!! You deserve it!

I matched as well!

Oct 31, 2018
Matched! Alhumdulillah.

Had 5 IM interviews and 1 FM interview. I'm so happy. I'm a repeat applicant who didn't match last year. Thank you everyone for all the help!

Jan 20, 2020
Status
Attending Physician
I'm Canadian as well. I would love anyone else's input on this, but as far as I know, you have to wait until you have official confirmation/a contract from the program where you matched (so Friday at earliest). Anyways, there is no need to stress about doing it immediately this year, as the cap has been lifted off the # of SONs given out by health Canada, so you will not be rejected (like in the past years). Just wait those few days until you get all the info from your program, and it will be fine.
congratulation on your match, from a Canadian to another, congrats on this feat, u had an impressive No. of interviews and i knew that you would match, i am curios to know where did u match.

confirming what you mentioned, YES we need at least until Friday to screenshot and send the SON app to health Canada.
I am happy to hear that there is no CAP, but I have seen that they are advising some speciality applciants like Radiology, cardiology that there are limited positions , but no mention of the exact numbers.

so, my questions are from where you got that there are no CAps this year and does this extend to NONE primary care specialties ( FM IM PEd, )i .e rad applicants as well
i have ranked IM and Radiology on my list so i am a bit worried about that.

my 2nd Q
i heard that health Canada might screw us over in time of fellowship to a speciality such as Critical care cardiology, is that true, if so I might take advantage of my dual citizenship and then would opt to use the Son from my other birth country which has no limits on SON approval..

BY the way i matched, i dont know if it is IM or RAD,

About the Ads
Sep 22, 2019
congratulation on your match, from a Canadian to another, congrats on this feat, u had an impressive No. of interviews and i knew that you would match, i am curios to know where did u match.

confirming what you mentioned, YES we need at least until Friday to screenshot and send the SON app to health Canada.
I am happy to hear that there is no CAP, but I have seen that they are advising some speciality applciants like Radiology, cardiology that there are limited positions , but no mention of the exact numbers.

so, my questions are from where you got that there are no CAps this year and does this extend to NONE primary care specialties ( FM IM PEd, )i .e rad applicants as well
i have ranked IM and Radiology on my list so i am a bit worried about that.

my 2nd Q
i heard that health Canada might screw us over in time of fellowship to a speciality such as Critical care cardiology, is that true, if so I might take advantage of my dual citizenship and then would opt to use the Son from my other birth country which has no limits on SON approval..

BY the way i matched, i dont know if it is IM or RAD,
Thank you! I communicated directly with Health Canada. You can message them with any inquiries you may have (I strongly would urge you to do that, as they can answer your specific questions better than I can). You will find the contact email somewhere on the page where they guide you through how to apply for the SON, and an agent responds to your email usually within 24 hours.

This is what I was told:

Effective Sept 10, 2018, the following changes have been implemented for all three SON Categories (A, B, C):

· applicants will not be screened against a list of pre-identified specialties, sub-specialties or fellowship training needs (including limits);

· applicants will no longer require a letter of support from their home province or territory; and

· applicants will no longer need a letter of support from a Canadian medical school or proof of Canadian medical licensure, since validation of previous medical training is the responsibility of the host institution in the US.

As such, there are no more caps/limits on SONs per specialty as there used to be.

Unfortunately I can't answer your second question, since I'm not planning on doing cardiology and so I don't really know much about the fellowships. I do know however, that once you receive an SON from Health Canada for a residency, you can only get other SONs (for fellowship or other training type) from Canada. You won't be able to switch countries until you fulfill the waiver/home requirement.

OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Didn't match (again). Really thought I had a good chance this year with a better CV

Will see what SOAP holds.

Congrats to all those who matched, especially Bobby. I never felt happier for a stranger lol.
thank you so much that's so sweet of you, sorry to hear you didn't match buddy, I'm rooting for you, let me know if you need anything

Jan 20, 2020
Status
Attending Physician
Thank you! I communicated directly with Health Canada. You can message them with any inquiries you may have (I strongly would urge you to do that, as they can answer your specific questions better than I can). You will find the contact email somewhere on the page where they guide you through how to apply for the SON, and an agent responds to your email usually within 24 hours.

This is what I was told:

Effective Sept 10, 2018, the following changes have been implemented for all three SON Categories (A, B, C):

· applicants will not be screened against a list of pre-identified specialties, sub-specialties or fellowship training needs (including limits);

· applicants will no longer require a letter of support from their home province or territory; and

· applicants will no longer need a letter of support from a Canadian medical school or proof of Canadian medical licensure, since validation of previous medical training is the responsibility of the host institution in the US.

As such, there are no more caps/limits on SONs per specialty as there used to be.

Unfortunately I can't answer your second question, since I'm not planning on doing cardiology and so I don't really know much about the fellowships. I do know however, that once you receive an SON from Health Canada for a residency, you can only get other SONs (for fellowship or other training type) from Canada. You won't be able to switch countries until you fulfill the waiver/home requirement.
pretty fascinating explanation..
thank you for your awesome reply, I probably should have contacted them. I was too lazy.but, there you go, you got me the full disclosure, that I needed.
i am sure your future patients and co-residents will be so satisfied with the way you address their questions and concerns.
ill be back here just to check where you matched ( hopefully, your top choice)...
good luck, to my all my fellow Canadians, and all other IMGS..

for whomever going to ask about credentials
both steps 255+
NONE Caribbean IMG (Africa).
no PUBLISHes
7 Months Hands-on Experience during at the final year with updated lors, from 2 top-tiers Univeristy programs , and an international humanitarian mission working in Africa with a well-known US-ER- doc.
i think those letters and my humanitarian mission made the difference, for me since i had 5+ YOG, i am 2014 graduate.

I ranked 7 University IM programs
and
6 Community hospital IM programs,
and 2 Fam med programs
and 1 Community hospital radiology Categorical.(did not apply I.MEDicine Prelim, and risked missing up my IM application.
for Next year applicants, try to apply radiology, even for a backup, they adore 250+ and A rad LOR, and they don't care much about research as long as it is a community hospital

best of luck to every one

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020
Status
Attending Physician
On another note,

I am kind of relived that step-1 (pass/fail) is not an issue for me anymore. but, I am really worried about future IMGs, this is not going to help our chances.

and for future residents.

time to organize now,
we should join our American Brothers and sisters. Our profession is currently under continuous assault by strong militant NP/ PA lobbiests. they are enabled by the apathy of bunch of old M.Ds that sold their souls to insurance hospitals admins, who are interested in making some profit. keeping the cost low.
they successfully pushed politicians and ensured a huge amount of autonomy in more than 23 states. they capitalized on the massive MD demands in the US. and the desperation of politicians to make fast band-aid solutions. instead of funding more residency slots and fix the bottle neck problem...
they are as if billing prescriptions now.
even in COLORADO some politicians almost passed a bill allowing naturopathic Doctors to prescribe drugs insteasd of only vitamins and oil.
they forced us to change the name of our profession into a health care provider instead of M.Ds.

some of them get online master/ Doctorate programs and they call themselves Doctors.
do u know that the NEW NRMP match CEO is a Nurse Practitioner with an online MBA Doctorate degree, setting on 500000 salary on a match system that she never got to do

they don`t get the amount of effort we do the sacrifice we make from a very young age to become qualified doctors.

please, we need to organize, and form a union a movement and speak up. we cant be bullied, forced to be silent by political correctness and social media trolls.

Pearlp

2+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2017

This is what I was told:

This is so helpful. Thank you

Sep 20, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Matched! Thank god. Congratulations to all who matched. To those that didn't, don't give up. Next season will be your season!
For reference, this is my eighth match season attempt. I've been applying to the match since 09/2012
YOG: 2009
Step 1: 209
Step 2CK: 211
Step 2CS: Pass
Step 3: 222
All first attempt.
This year i got only 2 IVs and by the grace of god i matched!
NEVER give up! If you want something, go after it no matter how many step hurdles are in the way.

Last edited:
About the Ads
Oct 5, 2018
Hey everybody! I matched!!!!! 2nd time applicant, and had 0 interviews last year. Ending up matching with 5 interviews this year. Grateful for all the support and I wish everybody the best. For those who matched, congrats! And for those who did not match, do not give up, stay true to yourself and stay committed to working hard, it will happen for you!

spartanwarrior

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2007
Status
On another note,

I am kind of relived that step-1 (pass/fail) is not an issue for me anymore. but, I am really worried about future IMGs, this is not going to help our chances.

and for future residents.

time to organize now,
we should join our American Brothers and sisters. Our profession is currently under continuous assault by strong militant NP/ PA lobbiests. they are enabled by the apathy of bunch of old M.Ds that sold their souls to insurance hospitals admins, who are interested in making some profit. keeping the cost low.
they successfully pushed politicians and ensured a huge amount of autonomy in more than 23 states. they capitalized on the massive MD demands in the US. and the desperation of politicians to make fast band-aid solutions. instead of funding more residency slots and fix the bottle neck problem...
they are as if billing prescriptions now.
even in COLORADO some politicians almost passed a bill allowing naturopathic Doctors to prescribe drugs insteasd of only vitamins and oil.
they forced us to change the name of our profession into a health care provider instead of M.Ds.

some of them get online master/ Doctorate programs and they call themselves Doctors.
do u know that the NEW NRMP match CEO is a Nurse Practitioner with an online MBA Doctorate degree, setting on 500000 salary on a match system that she never got to do

they don`t get the amount of effort we do the sacrifice we make from a very young age to become qualified doctors.

please, we need to organize, and form a union a movement and speak up. we cant be bullied, forced to be silent by political correctness and social media trolls.
Totally agree

Dec 22, 2019
Matched! For future reference:
Non-Caribbean US- IMG:
238/232/pass all on first attempt; no step 3
Full application by September 15
2 usce both hands on- one in a university and one in a private clinic
4 LOR (2 of them from usce- all very personalized)
I think my personal statement rocked lol because everyone mentioned it
Limited research in medical school, one publication but came out after I applied
Worked as a scribe in the meantime

Applied to IM, Got 11 interviews, ranked them all. I did get more community programs likely due to my lack of research though had 2 university ones

What I think helped me: I emailed all the programs repetitively and sometimes I’d get an invite the next day. A lot of programs are geography specific so since i lived in the northeast, all my invites were in the northeast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaxillaryCa

2+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2017
Status
Medical Student
My wife step 1, 199.

Step 2 248 and 245. . If I had asked for any advice on what to do from this site a year ago, people would say quit you wont get it, youre an IMG its mission impossible.

That is so awesome! What specialty?

Oct 3, 2018
My wife step 1, 199.

Similar story. US-IMG couple. With low Step 1 and retake on Step 2 CK. Succesful couples match into IM/FM. With my stats I didn't even want to ask on SDN or reddit what my chances were. I always read negative feedback or the classic: "don't even try, you'll never match. Try another career. It's over". We kept going even through the negativity. I'm glad there are others who keep going as well. There are many times we even doubted ourselves. It was all worth it!

Congrats by the way!

Oct 16, 2019
Status
MD/PhD Student
Similar story. US-IMG couple. With low Step 1 and retake on Step 2 CK. Succesful couples match into IM/FM. With my stats I didn't even want to ask on SDN or reddit what my chances were. I always read negative feedback or the classic: "don't even try, you'll never match. Try another career. It's over". We kept going even through the negativity. I'm glad there are others who keep going as well. There are many times we even doubted ourselves. It was all worth it!

Congrats by the way!
Importance again keep in mind is that scores aren't everything... majority of people here continues to think that. Need the whole package. how you explain your CV /volunteer/research , personal statement and of course the interview... there isn't just 1 formula guys

Reactions: EcuMD69

L.Messi

2+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Matched into IM,
Credentials step 1 230+, step 2 CK 250+, CS pass SECONED ATTEMPT.
Some US research experience, observerships. No need for visa.
If you have any other question, let me know!

Sep 19, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Reactions: Narciso
About the Ads