Jan 20, 2020
Status
Attending Physician
i
For those of us who need a Visa, how would you recommend to proceed? My program sponsors H1b, but in the current climate, a J1 visa is a much safer choice if we want to start on time. I guess I will wait for the program to contact me with the info....

Anyways, congratulations everyone! Whatever the program where you matched, even if it's not your top choice, you are now on the path to becoming an excellent physician!
agree with taking it safe, but even j1 visa, is questionable now as a canadian u still have to activated your Ds-2019 at a border crossing
i am sure you were a great appicant and u will be an awesome Doc

OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
All my visa Guys, what should we be doing right now?

Sep 22, 2019
All my visa Guys, what should we be doing right now?
You will need to be in touch with your program and see what they tell you. Hopefully they will get in contact with you today. My program emailed asking us to let them know which Visa type we are interested in, and that the legal team will stay in contact with us to let us know further steps to take.

I don't think you need to worry urgently about it if you want a J1, since the processing is quite fast for it. Wait for all the necessary info from your program, then submit your statement of need application (there are no more caps in Canada for those, so you don't have to rush to do it today).

Reactions: Bobbbyyyy
About the Ads
OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You will need to be in touch with your program and see what they tell you. Hopefully they will get in contact with you today. My program emailed asking us to let them know which Visa type we are interested in, and that the legal team will stay in contact with us to let us know further steps to take.

I don't think you need to worry urgently about it if you want a J1, since the processing is quite fast for it. Wait for all the necessary info from your program, then submit your statement of need application (there are no more caps in Canada for those, so you don't have to rush to do it today).
Yea thanks I’ll wait for the program to email me

OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I matched to my #1 choice. Congrats everyone who matched, this was one hell of a ride! I am glad to have found all of you on this journey.
I wanted to ask if it is okay to contact the program where we matched? or should we wait for them to reach out?
i think people are saying wait for them to contact

About the Ads
About the Ads

JHyuNi

7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I did not match

but I want to congratulate everyone here. you guys have fought hard to be here. I wish everyone gets into their top choice. love you all
I hope you successfully acquire position either out of match cycle, or this coming cycle. Good luck. We all eventually will meet at the end.

OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello,

Since u have matched as Canadian , can u plez guide fellow Canadians how they should spend their time usefully till the next match.
Sure. Some things to consider doing before September comes around;
- complete your Step 3 if you get the time (some programs like it, some don't care) but it doesn't hurt to get it out of the way
- stay clinically up to date in the form of observerships, research, etc. (many of my interviewers asked me what I've been doing since graduation)
- prepare for your LORs early, right now is a good time to make your letter writers aware as they tend to procastinate in writing/uploading them
- start drafting out your PS
- apply to more than one specialty to increase your odds (ie. IM + FM and try to get LORS specifc to each specialty if possible) also if applying to family, try to go to the AAFP conference in Kansas to network if it isn't gonna be cancelled due to corona
- start researching which programs to apply to early as this tends to be a time consuming process when you're going to be applying to hundreds of programs (FREIDA and Residency Explorer are good resources to use as they tell you if the program accepts visa and how many IMGs they have in their roster)
- ask any contacts you may have to recommend you for an interview

Work hard now and after submitting your application in September you'll get plenty of time to relax between interviewing. Do the best you can with the resources that you have available, Gluck!

shelf exam 1959

2+ Year Member
May 14, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Sure. Some things to consider doing before September comes around;
- complete your Step 3 if you get the time (some programs like it, some don't care) but it doesn't hurt to get it out of the way
- stay clinically up to date in the form of observerships, research, etc. (many of my interviewers asked me what I've been doing since graduation)
- prepare for your LORs early, right now is a good time to make your letter writers aware as they tend to procastinate in writing/uploading them
- start drafting out your PS
- apply to more than one specialty to increase your odds (ie. IM + FM and try to get LORS specifc to each specialty if possible) also if applying to family, try to go to the AAFP conference in Kansas to network if it isn't gonna be cancelled due to corona
- start researching which programs to apply to early as this tends to be a time consuming process when you're going to be applying to hundreds of programs (FREIDA and Residency Explorer are good resources to use as they tell you if the program accepts visa and how many IMGs they have in their roster)
- ask any contacts you may have to recommend you for an interview

Work hard now and after submitting your application in September you'll get plenty of time to relax between interviewing. Do the best you can with the resources that you have available, Gluck!
thanks this helps . What about Clinical Assistant, and How to become one in Canada

. any leads towards that will help

About the Ads
Oct 31, 2018
Matched at my #1 choice. So happy. But I'm so confused about the visa situation. Premium processing has been suspended for all H-1B visas due to the corona pandemic. I hope we're able to reach our residency programs on time!

Congratulations to everyone who matched though.

OP
Bobbbyyyy

Bobbbyyyy

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
thanks this helps . What about Clinical Assistant, and How to become one in Canada

. any leads towards that will help
I’ve been working as one part time for an outpatient endocrinologist in the Vancouver area. I sent them an email and they asked for some references and then I interviewed for the position. They look for IMGs who haven’t started residency yet. You don’t need anything other than some references. I’m not sure how widely available these positions are across the country. If you live in/near Vancouver, shoot me a message and I’ll ask them if they’re hiring and I’ll send you their details.
If you live somewhere else, google up clinical assistant jobs in your area.

Greyhame

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2018
Status
Medical Student
was this your #1 rank? What is the program like? What was the interview day like? What kind of residents are they looking for to fit in with their program? I live in Oklahoma and like the area.
Hello. Yup, it was my #1. It's small-ish for a university program, with 16 categorical and 8 prelim positions. The campus is beautiful. Most of the residents go on to do fellowships; many at OU.
It was probably my favorite interview day experience. They started us off with the PD's presentation which I found refreshingly honest. I had two interviews, one with the PD and one with another faculty member. I thought my interview with the PD went really well. Not so sure about the other one. But I'm glad they say something they liked. :)
The residents were all very thoughtful and accommodating which made me feel they actively look for such traits for their program. And the PD was very down to earth and frankly one of the reasons I ranked the program high.

My credentials:-
Non-US IMG
YOG: 2017
Step 1: 256
CK: 255
CS: passed in 1st attempt
Step 3: 246, result came this week
No pubs.

shelf exam 1959

2+ Year Member
May 14, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I’ve been working as one part time for an outpatient endocrinologist in the Vancouver area. I sent them an email and they asked for some references and then I interviewed for the position. They look for IMGs who haven’t started residency yet. You don’t need anything other than some references. I’m not sure how widely available these positions are across the country. If you live in/near Vancouver, shoot me a message and I’ll ask them if they’re hiring and I’ll send you their details.
If you live somewhere else, google up clinical assistant jobs in your area.
Thanks for the feedback, i live in nova scotia, will google let us see if there are any openings. ty again

greatsurg

2+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hello. Yup, it was my #1. It's small-ish for a university program, with 16 categorical and 8 prelim positions. The campus is beautiful. Most of the residents go on to do fellowships; many at OU.
It was probably my favorite interview day experience. They started us off with the PD's presentation which I found refreshingly honest. I had two interviews, one with the PD and one with another faculty member. I thought my interview with the PD went really well. Not so sure about the other one. But I'm glad they say something they liked. :)
The residents were all very thoughtful and accommodating which made me feel they actively look for such traits for their program. And the PD was very down to earth and frankly one of the reasons I ranked the program high.

My credentials:-
Non-US IMG
YOG: 2017
Step 1: 256
CK: 255
CS: passed in 1st attempt
Step 3: 246, result came this week
No pubs.
Congratulations on your Step 3. Could you please tell me what your assessment scores were?

AnalisCanalis

5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Premium processing has not been suspended for cap exempt petitions so you need not worry about that. Your employer can file it for you cos they are exempt from the cap

Nah, they expanded that.

TheHardWorker

2+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
hey guys, anyone matched in Coney Island hospital Brooklyn? I'd like to know my boyfriend's co-interns

DocSpy332

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2017
This is positive news. I hope they will address premium processing for H1b, although that may be wishful thinking.
I dont know if this will help, but it definitely could..

About the Ads