IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
+2 Southeast Health Program - Dothan, Alabama

Reactions: 2 users
Posted over in ask a PC thread...but could be helpful here
I almost want to make a new thread but don't want to clutter. I welcome PC's and the other PD's to edit or correct any of my views.

To most applicants for any field:

DO:
-wait patiently for invites. Programs are always slower than you think because we get flooded with tons of applicants and do our best to review applications beyond filters. Yes, many programs will put a filter in and be done with the list, but you won't know so don't sweat it and try to find a back door.
-be mindful and courteous of the PC's for your favorite programs. Don't badger them, and really don't even contact them unprompted.
-realize that PC and PD's know this is a game. We have the majority of the power on the front end. There is nothing you can do to change the rules of the game or alter the rules in your favor. You are powerless at the outset, and as much as you don't like it, it's how the system is set up.
-ask your friends (not here) before doing anything that you're uncertain about.
-ask your mentor (not your friends) before doing anything that you're uncertain about that your friends said should be ok
-go to the interview with proper clothes and haircuts. If you don't know what proper clothes are, ask your parents or mentors. Don't ask your co-students. PD's aren't looking for hip. They're looking for their version of "professional." If you've never seen an attending wear/do something you want to wear/do, think hard about it.
-recognize that you are still a medical student and are not entitled to anything. Dozens of American graduates don't match. Don't take anything for granted, even if you're a 99% USMLE.
-follow program recommendations. If a PD says not to send a thank you, don't. If they say nothing, send a handwritten one. It costs you a buck, and you never know when it might help.
-Inform any programs (or your favorites) of any updates to your application via email to PC.
-Email current residents (not the PD or PC) if you have further questions about the program. You can cc the PC if you want extra name-recognition, but address it to the resident. If you don't hear a response within, say, a week, reach out to the PC with the same question.
-Read ahead beyond the program website and ask about something in the area or the program nuance. "I saw on the local newspaper that the pumpkin festival is coming up. Is that a big thing around here, because near my med school they have one that has a really cool hay ride" or "I saw that this area is well known for its farmers market/sports culture/surfing competitions, have you ever been?" or "I saw that the program has abc. Why is abc here, when it's not too common, and how do you think it changes your resident's perspective on xyz? I would think that it would make xyz more applicable to the patient population" ie connect dots and don't just ask a question to fill space.
-Learn how to end an interview. If you're at a dead end, and the interviewer asks, "Any more questions?" end it properly. "No, the residents have been helpful, I've read a lot about the program. Honestly, it's not a sign of disinterest, I just have already had my generic and standard questions answered. I appreciate your time interviewing me, and what I like about this program is how abc exists here when other programs in the area don't have it."

DON'T:
-Think that letters/emails/communications of any sort mean anything beyond courtesy. We know it's a game and that you'll send emails out to people, and even if you know you're only sending one letter, we don't know this. Guess what, most of the letters are ignored or not taken seriously because we get so many of them.
-Name drop too much. If it's a current or former resident, let the PC/PD know that you talked to that person. But if you want to name drop 5 residents, other faculty, and professors from your college it will show a thin veil.
-Reach out for further communication if you haven't heard about an invite... until early November. If you have a compelling situation to request an interview, the program can likely fit you in. A generic reason, not so much. So if you do reach out, you'd better have a really good reason.
-Expect the sort of "job hunt" the regular world goes through. The NRMP and ERAS rules create an unnatural job hunt. Going by the rules, programs should not have any post-interview communication. Your post-interview emails are not being ignored.
-Think that trying to subvert your co-applicants during an interview will do anything favorable for you. It's the opposite, it shows us you're not a team player.
-act entitled to any program regardless of its "stature." It's a fast way to end up at the bottom of the pool post-interview, or even pre-interview. Don't burn bridges.
-Be difficult in scheduling. If you make the PC have to struggle to get you to respond in some way within 48 hours of their original email, don't be surprised that when you do respond that "all dates you chose are now full."
-Interview out of the book. Think of something more interesting than, "what changes are you planning?" "What kind of resident are you looking for?" "What do you like about this area?" "What do you like to do for fun?" or "What type of resident does well here?" Chances are you've only had one interview in your life: your med-school interview. Figure out from your non-medical friends and family how to interview as a conversation and not Q&A. If you have to read a book about how to interview, spend more time talking to mentors as a mini-interview. You need to sell yourself about why you are the person they're looking for, what you like about the area, or why you are the type of person who will do well there.
-Answer an interview question with a question (unless you're confused, in which state that you're not sure what they're asking).
-Worry about your clothes.... beyond letting them be standard wear. Men: navy or charcoal suit (black is for bankers or "the boss."). Women have more freedom, whether pantsuit, skirt, etc. Do worry more about shaving (or not, but no stubble. You either have a beard or you don't.), excess makeup, haircut, cologne/perfume (don't wear any).
-Expect a program to communicate too much with you. Too many rules for us to follow so we won't deviate beyond our standard practices. Some programs will be more communicative than others. It's easier to not communicate than remember all of the rules and navigate them.
-Worry if you don't meet the PD during an interview. It is uncommon but there is likely a reason. You don't need to post about it here. If you only interview with the APD('s) and the PC, then it is what it is. Go with your gut about the program vibe. A few programs have interviews with the PC, most don't. Go with the flow. Your PC is more critical to your residency experience than the PD, generally.
-Put all your mental effort into this whole thing. Focus more on your rotations and you well-being. Show up before you have to show up, act normal, use common sense (gulp). One year from now you won't look at this forum and you might realize your neurosis was for naught.

Reactions: 6 users
Where are you planning to stay during your interviews? I found AirBnBs get booked really early.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys dumb question, but some programs IV stated that there is a pre-interview dinner the night before at restaurants. How would you dress up for those ? They say residents predominantly and some faculty members will be there

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,did anyone get an IV from Rutgers-NJ med school/trinitas programme today? Just wondering if anyone has received the IV Broker link along with that invite mail?

Thank you.
235/245/Pass, YoG 2019, visa required, 3 US LoR + 1 home country LoR, 2 months sub-internship, 1-month clerkship
Wow thats great. My creds are almost like you but i am 2017 grad. I also did an observership there. Hope i also get something. Are you a caribbean grad?

Looks like PDs are celebrating columbus day today

Reactions: 12 users
I just got an email and it says that they have sent the Ivs and if anything changes in the future, then they are going to revisit applications and it may change the status of my application. So, it's not a rejection, right? I may get IV from them? right?

Wow thats great. My creds are almost like you but i am 2017 grad. I also did an observership there. Hope i also get something. Are you a caribbean grad?
Thank you man, I'm a Latin American graduate. Interview season has still a long way to go, good luck!

-4 Rejection University of Pennsylvania Health (If I count last night Yale New Haven second rejection it would be -5)

I just got an email and it says that they have sent the Ivs and if anything changes in the future, then they are going to revisit applications and it may change the status of my application. So, it's not a rejection, right? I may get IV from them? right?

Got the same... I think it’s a polite rejection.

• Sad
- 1 Rejection Yale yesterday
- Acknowledgment Sisters of Charity

Last edited:
Which program sent this?

Got an acknowledgement from UB (sisters)
I got this one too. They mentioned "you posses many good qualities." This seems non-generic, right? It looks like we made it through a filter.

I got this one too. They mentioned how posses many good qualities. This seems non-generic, right? It looks like we made it through a filter.
I have a senior in sisters charity and he told that they are done sending invites for the season so no idea what this acknowledgement means.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 5 users
I have a senior in sisters charity and he told that they are done sending invites for the season so no idea what this acknowledgement means.
may be it means, "if there's cancellations we will give you a second look." or my wishful thinking

Got an acknowledgement from UB (sisters)

I sent a LOI to them a week ago and they answered with the same exact words lol... and I thought it was personally directed to me :/

Has anyone else also had a super silent 1 week. No invites, rejections or even waitlists. Just silence

On NRMP it says that more IMG applicants match than not at 3 interviews (little more than 50%)... isn’t that little? I keep hearing 7 interviews to have 50% chance at matching?

On NRMP it says that more IMG applicants match than not at 3 interviews (little more than 50%)... isn’t that little? I keep hearing 7 interviews to have 50% chance at matching?

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: 5 users
+5 Boston University!! I’m so happy right now!!!!

Reactions: 23 users
+2 Jamaica
+3 CCF
-3 Cottage SB
-4 UPENN

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone got IV from St mary mercy levonia. Last year they send 1 st week of oct. I am waiting for it.