IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As far as I know, the average length of ROL of filled programs is 75 based on the following NRMP data.

The average resident spots is like 20
The average IV performed is like 200
The length of ROL is 75, meaning they rank only 40% of applicants they interviewed...

That's an interesting table but I think the data is averaging all the specialties together, this table is not telling us the total number of interviews conducted.

I think the average of 200 interviews conducted is specific for IM specialties only and so are the 20 average PGY1 spots.

Most specialties have a smaller cohort of PGY1's compared to IM and so they conduct a smaller number of total interviews.

I suspect that the data here is averaging all the specialties so specialties such as ortho, optho, neurosurg, FM, peds are all skewing the data to a smaller number so the 75 length ROL is not reflective of IM programs, IM ROL length would be longer as they conduct more interviews.

I believe if programs ranked 75 for their 20 spots, a lot more programs each year would go unfilled.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
As far as I know, the average length of ROL of filled programs is 75 based on the following NRMP data.

The average resident spots is like 20
The average IV performed is like 200
The length of ROL is 75, meaning they rank only 40% of applicants they interviewed...

I don't think you are interpreting this correctly. The report you linked to is for all specialties not just IM. The average length of ROL includes specialties with a much smaller number of interviews conducted and a much shorter ROL.

For a clearer look into IM numbers, check out page 49 of this report:

You can see that IM progs, on average, conducted 177 interviews and ranked 149 applicants (84%).

Reactions: 7 users
I don't think you are interpreting this correctly. The report you linked to is for all specialties not just IM. The average length of ROL includes specialties with a much smaller number of interviews conducted and a much shorter ROL.

For a clearer look into IM numbers, check out page 49 of this report:

You can see that IM progs, on average, conducted 177 interviews and ranked 149 applicants (84%).

61% of applicants screened out immediately, fun times.

Members don't see this ad :)
+5 HUMC Palisades

Received a few days ago after a 5 week drought! Extremely excited for this opportunity, Can anyone offer insight on the program or their IV day?

Also, does anyone know if there are statistics available on where on ROL IMG's tend to match?

Reactions: 6 users
trying to under, if I have 3 three interviews that means chance is 50 /50. there is also another graph in the same document, where it shows if you are US IMG with scores between 230 to 240 chances are 82% to match.

so the question is if some have scored 220's and 3 interviews and someone has scored 230's and 3 three interviews. do chances of matching are same or do they differ because of scores.
Put your stats in here: Tableau Public

Do you think think that's only true for corporate programs? What if a university program responds saying you are a great fit for the program?

Don't read too much into "Great fit". It's not bad news, but we want our last match to feel just as wanted as our top match. It's like saying "Happy holidays" to strangers. We mean well, but don't overthink it. And anyway, it shouldn't really matter to your ranking.

+5 HUMC Palisades

Received a few days ago after a 5 week drought! Extremely excited for this opportunity, Can anyone offer insight on the program or their IV day?

Also, does anyone know if there are statistics available on where on ROL IMG's tend to match?
See above, and: table 15 here: https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacd...NRMP-Results-and-Data-2019_04112019_final.pdf
(Table 15 includes both IMG's and DO's as independent applicants, and lumps all fields together, so is less than ideal)

If that link does not work (looks wacky), then start here: Main Residency Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program and choose Match Data 2019

Reactions: 5 users
I have a little bit of a unique/irrelevant question. I hope you guys don’t mind.

How bad is the “worst” program of IM in the country?

What I mean to say is, if someone wants to just match or even just get a spot in SOAP (as long as it’s IM) and they’re ok with it being the worst program in the country, what should they expect from such a program? What will it be like being a part of such a program for 3 years?

Thanks

Anyone know anything about seton hall st Francis program?

How should one consider the board pass rate when ranking? Upmc pinnacle's ABIM pass rate (2 yr average) is 73%..does that mean they can lose their accreditation if it doesn't increase in the future??
Hi I have the same question here. feel free to pm me

+ Memorial HealthCare,Fl ( 4 weeks ago)
+ Aventura Hospital ,Fl ( 2 weeks ago)
+ Brookdale , NY “prematch ( 1 week ago)
+ Interfaith , NY “ prematch” ( yesterday)
+ Mount Sinai St. Luke’s , Ny ( today )

Reactions: 8 users
+ Memorial HealthCare,Fl ( 4 weeks ago)
+ Aventura Hospital ,Fl ( 2 weeks ago)
+ Brookdale , NY “prematch ( 1 week ago)
+ Interfaith , NY “ prematch” ( yesterday)
+ Mount Sinai St. Luke’s , Ny ( today )
Which dates were you provided for Mount Sinai St Luke?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have any thoughts on resending my USMLE transcript with a new step 3 score of 214? Not sure if it will get me more interviews or hurt my chances for both new interviews and ranking for interviews I’ve already gotten, since it’s a low score.

I also don’t require a visa so I don’t have to release it before the match.

does anyone have any thoughts on resending my USMLE transcript with a new step 3 score of 214? Not sure if it will get me more interviews or hurt my chances for both new interviews and ranking for interviews I’ve already gotten, since it’s a low score.

It’s a positive, release it ASAP

Reactions: 1 user

Few program website mentions USMLE step 3 scores of >/= 220 as reassuring. I honestly don't know how it will affect you. Personally if have 24x/250x on step 1/2 I will not share this score. But if I had 20x/21x then I will share to reassure them that at least I am passing all exams first attempt and I will pass (ABIM) on first attempt. Ultimately I recommend you to consult with a faculty of a program you didn't apply to ( ideally anonymously) and see what they think.

Reactions: 2 users
I got a text message which says I have been invited for a categorical interview but the link does not open to anything. The website is called 3rdfriday. Anybody have any experience with this? It doesn't say a program name or anything.

I got a text message which says I have been invited for a categorical interview but the link does not open to anything. The website is called 3rdfriday. Anybody have any experience with this? It doesn't say a program name or anything.
That happened to me as well . You should try to open it on another device , if you’re trying from a computer try on your phone and make sure its not using the same internet connection ( another wifi ) from your computer .

It is from a New York pre-match program. Try to open the link on a computer.

That happened to me as well . You should try to open it on another device , if you’re trying from a computer try on your phone and make sure its not using the same internet connection ( another wifi ) from your computer .
It is from a New York pre-match program. Try to open the link on a computer.
Thanks guys I actually found another link, the email had gone to my junk mail.
+1 Maimonides

Reactions: 5 users
I just got a really good USMLE Step 2CK score, almost 20 points above my step 1 - really happy with it.

I applied to 40 ish programs, +5 IV's, and -17 rejections, with 16 pending applications. Is it worth emailing the remaining 16 programs, or will I just update my score on ERAS and leave it?

I have a little bit of a unique/irrelevant question. I hope you guys don’t mind.

How bad is the “worst” program of IM in the country?

What I mean to say is, if someone wants to just match or even just get a spot in SOAP (as long as it’s IM) and they’re ok with it being the worst program in the country, what should they expect from such a program? What will it be like being a part of such a program for 3 years?

Thanks

Residents here in the USA have committed suicide due to malignant programs and, burn out has been a major concern lately.

It also depends on what you consider “the worst program” to be, I mean maybe you get to SOAP in a program where you don’t do that many hours or calls, but the education sucks and there is no diverse pathology so you’ll probably won’t be a good internist, on the other hand maybe the worst program for you is the one where they pretty much work you to death having to work over 100+/hr per week with no benefits or care for resident wellness and all residents are burned out.

So I guess if you only care about matching anywhere just know that just because you are in the United States it doesn’t mean that “the worst program” is better than the ones in your home country, they are probably the same if not worse.

So to answer your question directly: What will it be like being a part of such a program for 3 years? It will probably be the worst and you’ll be counting the minutes to finish residency and be done with it. But it is the price to pay if you only care about doing residency here and don’t care about education/quality of life.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone interviewed at Seton Hall St. Francis? Any information about the program?
The information provided on their site is very scarce and there is nothing on Freida.

Any thoughts on Texas Tech Armaillo?

Has anyone interviewed at Seton Hall St. Francis? Any information about the program?
The information provided on their site is very scarce and there is nothing on Freida.
Got an invite from there today, LMK what you hear.
Thanks in advance

Residents here in the USA have committed suicide due to malignant programs and, burn out has been a major concern lately.

It also depends on what you consider “the worst program” to be, I mean maybe you get to SOAP in a program where you don’t do that many hours or calls, but the education sucks and there is no diverse pathology so you’ll probably won’t be a good internist, on the other hand maybe the worst program for you is the one where they pretty much work you to death having to work over 100+/hr per week with no benefits or care for resident wellness and all residents are burned out.

So I guess if you only care about matching anywhere just know that just because you are in the United States it doesn’t mean that “the worst program” is better than the ones in your home country, they are probably the same if not worse.

So to answer your question directly: What will it be like being a part of such a program for 3 years? It will probably be the worst and you’ll be counting the minutes to finish residency and be done with it. But it is the price to pay if you only care about doing residency here and don’t care about education/quality of life.

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. This definitely answers my question.

Best of Luck!

Hi guys, when do interfaith send offers after interview? I gave it 2 days ago. I feel like I did well but got nothing so far.

In my personal opinion I would believe they university program because they are more professional. They wont say what they don't mean. At the same time you are a good fit means you will be ranked but it doesn't mean you will match there. programs on average rank 60-75% of people that interviewed. I'll prepare to move right away if a program with 30 positions tells me I was ranked in top 30 group. That means I am sure I have the spot. What if the program is highly desired and they ranked me number 200. I might match there but it is not a sure thing. I will be at a mercy of those that are ranked ahead of me. I would just hope they go to better programs and leave me a spot.

I dont think because a program is university it is above shady behavior. I think most imgs just don’t see it because uni programs often won’t even bother lying to imgs because they have more amgs to think about. It’s all program specific but I’ve seen uni programs do people dirty.

Please,can anyone give feedbacks on their interview experience at university at Buffalo ( not catholic health). This is my program of choice, would appreciate any helpful hints. Thanks

Any interview feedback on Englewood Hospital, NJ. Heard the ask clinical questions- any truth to this?

Hi guys, when do interfaith send offers after interview? I gave it 2 days ago. I feel like I did well but got nothing so far.
I did few days and they even asked me that will you accept the offer but i have not heard anything.
Did you liked the program.?

Is it late to send thank you cards after 2 weeks from the IV date? I mean I am going to send anyway but is it like negative to my chance to match there?

Is it late to send thank you cards after 2 weeks from the IV date? I mean I am going to send anyway but is it like negative to my chance to match there?

I think sooner the better but 2 weeks is still better than not sending them at all. That being said, I don't think thank you letters overall matter much at all in terms of being ranked, it's just a polite gesture more than anything else.

I keep a professional profile picture on my Gmail account so they can recognize me by face if they forgot my name.

Anyone travelling to springfield MA on 5th Dec and wants to split the hotel?
Please dm

Can anyone give me insights on Mount Sinai Bronx program. Interested in GI fellowship.

I did few days and they even asked me that will you accept the offer but i have not heard anything.
Did you liked the program.?
I did not like the program but am going to take it if they offer. Not too many other ivs. How did your case go? My did not go so good.

So I sent an email to a few programs regarding my interest earlier in the month but didn't hear back from any of them.
If there a point in re-initiating contact right now?

Alternatively, there are some programs I didn't send an email of interest until now. Will it help if I do so now or is it already too late?

Hey has anyone interviewed at BronxCare or Honorhealth Scottsdale and have any information about the interview day?

People who IVed at St francis Amita Chicago. Please tell about your experience.

is there anyone here who din not recieve a rejection from UMMS baystate at the time of mass rejection and got an invite later ?