IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any info on piedmont athens? Interview next week

Members don't see this ad.

They are very primary care oriented so maybe try not to sound too specialty specific. I think there were 4 interviews, no medical questions. I'm not exactly sure but that's what my friend who had an IV there told me

They are very primary care oriented so maybe try not to sound too specialty specific. I think there were 4 interviews, no medical questions. I'm not exactly sure but that's what my friend who had an IV there told me

Thank you. Appreciate the info

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I was in an interview recently. He was not very friendly and didnt smile at all. He asked me a medical question which was very easy, but out of nervousness, I answered it wrong.
He proceeded to tell me that the ranking is done in February, and that my general application is very good. But that he doesnt know how I will be ranked.
How worried should I be?

I dont think programs are allowed to tell you how you will be ranked so he likely had to say that regardless of how he felt. I wouldn’t take what he said too seriously.

He is very honest and I wish all interviewers (IVers) are this professional. Yes it is true he doesn't know how you will be ranked. Some IVers tell you "you are the best" and they might not even rank you. Not all IVers read everything about you. So this one has to go read through all your papers. He didn't want to say you suck just based on medical question you got wrong under IV pressure. After IV ends for the day, they all get together and make up their daily rank order list. They will discuss all candidates and each IVer says what she/he thinks of you and rank you based on that. So it's a good thing that he is still wanting to hear what others think of you. Then he can disregard getting a question wrong based on how nervous you looked and vote to rank you based on overall performance.
Thanks for taking the time to alleviate my anxiety

PD was great! Half the hospital is new the other half about to undergo major renovation. You interview with 4 ppl...one of which is PD. It’s done “step 2cs” style with you standing by the door waiting for the bell...knocking and entering....wrapping up after the first bell and exiting after the second. Was an interesting experience. Each interviewer asked one behavioral style question and any follow up questions stemming from your answer. The PD doesn’t ask any questions...she just answers any questions you may have. Was a pretty cool day...I enjoyed it.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know montefiore Wakefield’s fellowship match results ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection from henry ford allegiance. It hurt more than others.

Henry Ford Allegiance Health Program rejection!

PD was great! Half the hospital is new the other half about to undergo major renovation. You interview with 4 ppl...one of which is PD. It’s done “step 2cs” style with you standing by the door waiting for the bell...knocking and entering....wrapping up after the first bell and exiting after the second. Was an interesting experience. Each interviewer asked one behavioral style question and any follow up questions stemming from your answer. The PD doesn’t ask any questions...she just answers any questions you may have. Was a pretty cool day...I enjoyed it.
Thank you so much

87FCBBB4-6C97-46B7-AAB3-8DEB1F8BB90C.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Please please please let me know if anyone of you is planning to cancel their iv at Maimonides Medical Center. It is my one and only invite and there are no slots available :( .

Any experience at LSU New Orleans/ Shreveport?

I hope so
They are allowed to tell you but they are not allowed to ask you how you will rank them. That being said, it was too early to tell you how he will rank you. As mentioned above, many factors and many all interviewers have to be involved to rank you for the day. Score cards from all faculty will be reviewed before they decide.

Any information on IV date swap works please? I have an IVat Hennepin County IM for Dec 17th but can't make it due to unavoidable reasons. Really interested in the program

I dont think programs are allowed to tell you how you will be ranked so he likely had to say that regardless of how he felt. I wouldn’t take what he said too seriously.
They are allowed to tell you anything they want , so yes they can tell you where they rank you...but of course they cannot lie...so most places are not going to give you a concrete answer, just in case something changes.

They can say that you are ranked to match...meaning either they have ranked you within the number of interns they have...if there are say 15 interns, then you would be ranked in the top 15 or if they usually match in the top 25 for their 15 intern spots, then you are ranked in the top 25...had Jacobi tell me that...I think I had them ranked 15 or so so at least I would have been guaranteed a spot! :)

Had a friend that was matching with her husband and he was in the military match so knew where he was going in December...she as told by the program closest to his matched program, to go ahead and by real estate ...she Successfully suicide matched based on what they said.

Please please please let me know if anyone of you is planning to cancel their iv at Maimonides Medical Center. It is my one and only invite and there are no slots available :( .
Hey! Have you tried contacting the coordinator? They do not usually send out more invites than spots available. I would email/ call the coordinator.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! Have you tried contacting the coordinator? They do not usually send out more invites than spots available. I would email/ call the coordinator.

could be wrong but sounds like the person has already been waitlisted

but yeah it’s good to ask coordinator if anything’s available

It's been about 5 weeks since I last got an IV :cryi: :cryi: :cryi: :cryi:

When is the trickle starting?

It's been about 5 weeks since I last got an IV :cryi: :cryi: :cryi: :cryi:

When is the trickle starting?

Hopefully at some point people who are at risk of OD-ing on all the IV stuff will start getting clean of the excessive IV stuff...
But judging by how many of us are having severe cravings on here, as the IV stuff gets back on the street, its value will rise and those who get their hands on it will be the object of great envy.
:hungover::hungover::hungover: (just rants of a person who lost his mind staring at the clock... next thing you know I will be that disheveled person running around bus stops looking for interviews under the seats)

Also, I looked at last year's thread and it seems like mid-late December and January were not exactly... prosperous - not many people got invites that late.
Totally random question if anyone has seen any data on it - is there any correlation between the odds of matching and the size of the program, especially for people with 1 or 2 interviews? Ie, is it "easier" to match at a bigger program (similarly competitive) as they tend to interview fewer people per place?

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully at some point people who are at risk of OD-ing on all the IV stuff will start getting clean of the excessive IV stuff...
But judging by how many of us are having severe cravings on here, as the IV stuff gets back on the street, its value will rise and those who get their hands on it will be the object of great envy.
:hungover::hungover::hungover: (just rants of a person who lost his mind staring at the clock... next thing you know I will be that disheveled person running around bus stops looking for interviews under the seats)

Also, I looked at last year's thread and it seems like mid-late December and January were not exactly... prosperous - not many people got invites that late.
Totally random question if anyone has seen any data on it - is there any correlation between the odds of matching and the size of the program, especially for people with 1 or 2 interviews? Ie, is it "easier" to match at a bigger program (similarly competitive) as they tend to interview fewer people per place?

generally it’s maybe let’s say 10 people interviewed per PGY1 categorical position. The ratio varies program to program but I don’t think larger programs on average have a smaller applicant:spot ratio.

IV with Jersey Shore NJ. Will be glad to know anyone’s experience there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

generally it’s maybe let’s say 10 people interviewed per PGY1 categorical position. The ratio varies program to program but I don’t think larger programs on average have a smaller applicant:spot ratio.

Just an interesting thing to think about (for people like me who have nothing better to do obviously haha) - whether an invite from a bigger program is "better". I have seen on Freida/ResidencyExplorer many smaller programs interviewing even 20 people per spot (ie 200 people interviewed for 10 spots). Also, how far down their ranking lists do they usually end up?

Got an invite from St Mary's medical center (Long Beach). Can anyone give me the vibes of this program? Thank you.

Canceling unity health in searcy Arkansas today. As well as st Mary’s in San Fran. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Just an interesting thing to think about (for people like me who have nothing better to do obviously haha) - whether an invite from a bigger program is "better". I have seen on Freida/ResidencyExplorer many smaller programs interviewing even 20 people per spot (ie 200 people interviewed for 10 spots). Also, how far down their ranking lists do they usually end up?
Maybe less competative programs have a smaller cohort of PGY1s on average and maybe the less competitive programs interview and rank more Applicants because they know their ROL will be going more down compared to competative programs? Maybe?

I forgot if NRMP has data on how far programs end up on their ROLs, it’s not uncommon to go down to like 50-60 I’ve heard.
Generally they say it’s a good idea to try to get ranked in the top one third of a program’s ROL.

Maybe less competative programs have a smaller cohort of PGY1s on average and maybe the less competitive programs interview and rank more Applicants because they know their ROL will be going more down compared to competative programs? Maybe?

I forgot if NRMP has data on how far programs end up on their ROLs, it’s not uncommon to go down to like 50-60 I’ve heard.
Generally they say it’s a good idea to try to get ranked in the top one third of a program’s ROL.

50-60% of ROL or 50-60 people below the number of residents they take?
One third could be correct since people with 1 invite have about a 30-40% chance of matching according to the charting outcomes.

Hey Bobbyyyy,

Great job, im also fellow Canadian recent graduate caribe . can I ask you one question if I may, what went wrong on your last years match, just curies to check what all I did and comparing my experience with your last year match. im just frustrated about my interview invites outcome irrespective of widely applying so far , and had just a few interviews. that is the reason of me asking this question. thanks

Hey Bobbyyyy,

Great job, im also fellow Canadian recent graduate caribe . can I ask you one question if I may, what went wrong on your last years match, just curies to check what all I did and comparing my experience with your last year match. im just frustrated about my interview invites outcome irrespective of widely applying so far , and had just a few interviews. that is the reason of me asking this question. thanks
PS - This forum is very educational and informative.

Does anyone have any info regarding the IV day at Indiana University (Southwest) program, Larkin (Palm Spring campus) Hospital or Harlem Hospital? How many IVs? any medical questions? Also, at what time does Harlem IV day ends? Thank you!

They are allowed to tell you but they are not allowed to ask you how you will rank them. That being said, it was too early to tell you how he will rank you. As mentioned above, many factors and many all interviewers have to be involved to rank you for the day. Score cards from all faculty will be reviewed before they decide.

you’re right! I got it mixed up with them asking where you will rank them

Any experience with Berkshire medical center? Number of IVs? Any medical Qs? TIPS AND TRICKS? Thanks!