IMG (Ireland) US citizen > where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US citizen in school in Ireland. Will be pursuing two EM electives next summer (before MS4 year) and I've read a bit on this forum about various programs not favoring IMGs. Any advice on programs that might take a better view on candidates like me? (This is so I can work back to try for electives in some of the same programs.) I have a lot of good life experience and research specifically related to EM btw.

Working back from match to electives.... my first research yielded precious few schools that will take IMGs for electives (though many of the same schools will technically accept IMG residency apps)... a huge disadvantage overall in the match. Help! Any specific advice would be very welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

St.Luke's Roosevelt often has IMG's rotate with us. We have had several students come from RCOS through one of our faculty that is also on the faculty there.

I will actually be in dublin next week for a course we are teaching. send me a PM if you are in dublin and want to try and make a few contacts.

Cleveland Clinic (partner / rotating school to Metro Health) will take IMGs. Arranging a rotation at MetroHealth is harder but possibly doable if you have time to plan way in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
henry ford and ormc have had IMGs before..

Thanks Roja but I'm in Cork and won't be near Dublin when you're here. I'd be very welcoming of PM (or email) networking if you're willing.

Which MetroHealth (Leorl)? By early, would the autumn before be early enough?

And Ectopic...is ormc Orange? Orlando? And I assume the Henry Ford is Detroit? Forgive me but I'm just a Yank lost in Emeraldville.

Thanks all.

St. Joseph's in Paterson, NJ has a formal affiliation with St. George's, and so I assume they take other IMGs, but you'd have to ask to be sure. Their medical education director is Sister Rosemarie ([email protected]).

However, while the rest of their residencies are ACGME-accredited, EM is an AOA residency (DO), so you couldn't actually apply for it.

Thanks Roja but I'm in Cork and won't be near Dublin when you're here. I'd be very welcoming of PM (or email) networking if you're willing.

And Ectopic...is ormc Orange? Orlando? And I assume the Henry Ford is Detroit? Forgive me but I'm just a Yank lost in Emeraldville.

Thanks all.

Orlando regional and yes henry ford in detroit.

Thanks all.

Oh, MetroHealth (Case Western), Cleveland. But you'd have better luck with Cleveland Clinic. When I was there, the contact person you want is [email protected]. I arranged an EM elective for November when I was there in August doing ICU. You want to do it next summer? then I'd say August would be quite early, no harm applying that early but probably January might suffice because they have to accomodate their own students first and things might not be known until then.

LSU-Shreveport is IMG friendly both rotating there and for residency. Carolinas is IMG friendly for rotating there (Done through UNC-Chapel Hill), and it is a great rotation and the staff and residents were kick butt; however, they are not so friendly as far as allowing IMG's into their program. FWIW.