IMG Messed up Med school, good idea to take a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yhs10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as the title says, I am an IMG who messed up most of his Med school Journey. The thing is, I was so passionate about Medicine for as long as I can remember, and when time to apply arrived, I applied to my dream college but I ended up getting rejected. I was devastated and wanted to just give up on Medicine. However, I was given a full scholarship somewhere else that I hated, but I ended up attending it anyway because the offer to become a doctor without paying a penny was too good to decline. I hated my time in there, and ended up messing up my grades. I never failed my classes, but most of the time I was barely passing because I didn't have the will to study. I blamed my failure on Medicine and stopped caring and at one point I just wanted to drop out. Fast forward this year, I started my clinical rotations, and so far did the following (Note: The ranking scale that my institution uses is Excellent-Very Good-Good-Pass):
- Surgery: Very Good
- Internal Medicine: Pass
- Pediatrics: Grade not out yet but likely Good or Pass
- Ob/Gyn: Currently doing rotation

Next year I'll be doing FM, Emergency, Cardio, Uro, Neuro, Psych, ophthalmo, and ENT (I might've forgotten something).

About a month ago I had my Aha moment when I volunteered abroad to assist Physicians at a refugee camp, and kinda truly experienced again what it feels like to become a doctor and help ease people's pain, and I came back more determined than ever to work harder and study better (which I have been doing ever since as I got my "Push").

Now my question is, since I messed up my grades in uni because I didn't study well, and since I don't have a solid research experience, do you think it's a good idea to take a year off to sort of catch up with what I missed in school, and to work for a couple of months on research? I know a doctor at a respected US institution who is willing to have me work with him in his lab for a couple of months. Would residency programs look unfavorably towards taking a year off? I'm leaning towards Pediatrics as it is the only department that I truly felt I belong to, and I absolutely loved Neonatology!
My 2nd question is, what would you recommend I do in order to get into a well respected Pediatrics residency program in order to make up for the bad grades on my transcript? Is getting high Step1 and Step2 scores (I'm talking +250) enough for programs to overlook my below average grades during Med school?

Would much appreciate any advice (or reassurance as I'm panicking and thinking it's too late to fix my situation and that I missed the train).

Members don't see this ad.

How do IMG able to do clinical rotations without taking STEP 1? I was just curious. but from what i heard, Step 1 score is the most important then other factors as step 2, clinical year grades and etc

Where (just generally) do you go to school? I recommend you not take a year off. That's more of a red flag than "bad" grades. Too be frank, pediatrics is not very competitive and passing grades is not a hindrance. Just take things one step at a time. Do well on the STEP, then worry about the rest. Things are certainly not too late and you're not in a bad position currently.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From the wording of things this person is no where near the Us

How do IMG able to do clinical rotations without taking STEP 1? I was just curious. but from what i heard, Step 1 score is the most important then other factors as step 2, clinical year grades and etc

Well, not all IMGs where I'm in wish to practice in the US. Therefore Steps are not even required to do.

Where (just generally) do you go to school? I recommend you not take a year off. That's more of a red flag than "bad" grades. Too be frank, pediatrics is not very competitive and passing grades is not a hindrance. Just take things one step at a time. Do well on the STEP, then worry about the rest. Things are certainly not too late and you're not in a bad position currently.

I'd rather not say the exact location, but it is somewhere in Asia (I guess that doesn't narrow it down much). And thanks for the reassuring advice. But would you say it would still be a bad idea if I seek research for a few months along with 3-4 months of US Clinical Experience? Wouldn't that boost my application a bit?

From the wording of things this person is no where near the Us
Thanks for the honesty, but i'm a US citizen and that's the main reason why I wish to practice in the US. I know I deserve this, but hey we all make mistakes. My mistake is just more unforgivable than other people's mistakes.

I would think other IMGs would have more experience, but I've always been under the impression that step scores are immensely more important for IMGs than your grades. Your grades would be much harder to compare to US MDs.

I'd rather not say the exact location, but it is somewhere in Asia (I guess that doesn't narrow it down much). And thanks for the reassuring advice. But would you say it would still be a bad idea if I seek research for a few months along with 3-4 months of US Clinical Experience? Wouldn't that boost my application a bit?
Can you fit that in fourth year electives? Do you have some sort of extra time or chances to come over that doesn't require you to take time off?

Can you fit that in fourth year electives? Do you have some sort of extra time or chances to come over that doesn't require you to take time off?

Unfortunately not. I've spent so much time thinking about it, but there is no way I'd be able to take sometime off during my final year as we've got a pretty much condensed curriculum with strict emphasis on attending all academic activities. I can do a few weeks from June till August, but only for either research or USCE, but not for both. If I take a year off i'll have more time to do both, and definitely work on getting solid Step scores (that's all theoretical of course, but I've never been more serious about something in my whole life before).

You really it would look that bad if to residency programs if I take a year off? No matter what I do during that year?

Taking a year off would definitely be a red flag and would hurt your chances, probably more than the problems you face right now. Pediatrics is not terribly competitive, so I think you're better off finishing up.

Taking a year off would definitely be a red flag and would hurt your chances, probably more than the problems you face right now. Pediatrics is not terribly competitive, so I think you're better off finishing up.

It's all about bad or worse though. Would it be worse to take a year off while doing research + getting 2-3 months of US Clinical Experience + preparing for Steps and getting competitive grades at them, or not taking a year off and not having enough time to study, not getting USCE, and not getting any research experience?

I feel like this is a major decision that will affect me for the rest of my life and I'm extremely confused and can't make up my mind. I really want to stop making mistakes and start working towards getting on the right path after wasting so much time during the previous years.

If I'm understanding the situation correctly, you're a US citizen at a medical school in Asia. From your prior posts, it appears it's likely in a Gulf country but not Qatar. Likely you have a familial background from this country (which is how you ended up there, and probably speak the local language). You are currently in your second to last year (3 of 4, or perhaps 5 of 6) of your program. All of these rotations of which you speak are local, none are in the US. And you have not taken any of the steps yet. Not clear if you'll be trying to match in 2018 or 2019 at the earliest.

If so:

You're almost too late for the 2018 match anyway. Without a single step score, you're unlikely to have the time to study for them (especially given your history of "just getting by") and do well, and have scores by September. And doing well on the Step's is your #1 priority at this point -- they are often used as a gatekeeper for any further review of your application. And you have no US experience. So, basically, there is no way for you to apply in next year's match, you'll need to be applying in 2019 at the earliest.

So:

1. If you're scheduled to graduate such that you'll apply for the 2018 match, you MUST take a year break to make this work. There is no practical way for you to get done what needs to be done.
2. If you're scheduled to graduate such that you'll apply for the 2019 match, then you probably should seriously consider an extra year if you can manage it. You'll need time to study for and take the Steps. You might want to take a commercial review course. You'll need all three step scores (1, 2CK, 2CS) all resulted by the time you're applying. And you'll want at least 2-3 months of US experience in whatever field you'll be applying in (such as pediatrics). From your description above, I don't see how you're going to fit that all in under the current plan. If you can, then yes, no break is better than a break. But a crappy S1 score will bring your application to a halt, break or no break.

Reactions: 1 user
If I'm understanding the situation correctly, you're a US citizen at a medical school in Asia. From your prior posts, it appears it's likely in a Gulf country but not Qatar. Likely you have a familial background from this country (which is how you ended up there, and probably speak the local language). You are currently in your second to last year (3 of 4, or perhaps 5 of 6) of your program. All of these rotations of which you speak are local, none are in the US. And you have not taken any of the steps yet. Not clear if you'll be trying to match in 2018 or 2019 at the earliest.

If so:

You're almost too late for the 2018 match anyway. Without a single step score, you're unlikely to have the time to study for them (especially given your history of "just getting by") and do well, and have scores by September. And doing well on the Step's is your #1 priority at this point -- they are often used as a gatekeeper for any further review of your application. And you have no US experience. So, basically, there is no way for you to apply in next year's match, you'll need to be applying in 2019 at the earliest.

So:

1. If you're scheduled to graduate such that you'll apply for the 2018 match, you MUST take a year break to make this work. There is no practical way for you to get done what needs to be done.
2. If you're scheduled to graduate such that you'll apply for the 2019 match, then you probably should seriously consider an extra year if you can manage it. You'll need time to study for and take the Steps. You might want to take a commercial review course. You'll need all three step scores (1, 2CK, 2CS) all resulted by the time you're applying. And you'll want at least 2-3 months of US experience in whatever field you'll be applying in (such as pediatrics). From your description above, I don't see how you're going to fit that all in under the current plan. If you can, then yes, no break is better than a break. But a crappy S1 score will bring your application to a halt, break or no break.

Well yes you are indeed understanding the situation perfectly. And no, I have no intention of applying for the 2018 match whether or not I decide to take a year off since I realize I'm just way too late in the process, and I'd rather wait and get a good outcome rather than rush it and end up messing it all up.

No break is better than a break. That is what's making me so confused and can't decide, I feel like I must take a break considering my current situation, yet I don't that to end up disqualifying me from getting a residency spot. I guess you are right, my main concern for now should be doing well on Step1.