Other IMG needs honest advice from AMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquablue89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This may not be an apt post on this forum, but I'm hoping to hear views from AMGs.
I'm in IMG from India (I know, many of us here), with a Step 1 score of 240, Step 2CK 235 and passed CS in 1st attempt.
I did 3 months of clinical rotations here and have applied to match in Pediatrics this year.
Until now, I have received only 4 interview invitations, mostly from community FMG-friendly programs in the NY region.
My question is:
1. Are FMG-friendly programs regarded as 'low-tier' programs in general?
2. If I complete my residency in one of these programs, do I stand a good chance to match in a fellowship program in the future?
3. Does there exist some 'unwritten' bias against FMGs in the US? Does that hamper career growth in the future?
4. Are there still chances of receiving more interview invites?
I would really appreciate honest replies to my questions since it will help me decide whether I would like to continue with my career here, or contemplate on going back to my country.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

1. If you mean that programs that take a majority or near majority of IMGs, yes. Stellar programs do take IMGs as well, although usually not more than 10%

2. Depends on many many factors, but yes, if your in house program does not give you research or clinical exposure to specialties, you will have a harder time.

3. This question comes up a lot. PDs tend to match people from places that they know and desire to perpetuate winning formulas. It is difficult for someone outside their 'formula' to break in, whatever that is. This happens to a great extent within the AMG population based on a thing called "geographic preference".

4. Yes, cancellations are starting and will continue to accelerate through mid-December.

Reactions: 1 user