IMG needs honest advice from AMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquablue89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This may not be an apt post on this forum, but I'm hoping to hear views from AMGs.
I'm in IMG from India (I know, many of us here), with a Step 1 score of 240, Step 2CK 235 and passed CS in 1st attempt.
I did 3 months of clinical rotations here and have applied to match in Pediatrics this year.
Until now, I have received only 4 interview invitations, mostly from community FMG-friendly programs in the NY region.
My question is:
1. Are FMG-friendly programs regarded as 'low-tier' programs in general?
2. If I complete my residency in one of these programs, do I stand a good chance to match in a fellowship program in the future?
3. Does there exist some 'unwritten' bias against FMGs in the US? Does that hamper career growth in the future?
4. Are there still chances of receiving more interview invites?
I would really appreciate honest replies to my questions since it will help me decide whether I would like to continue with my career here, or contemplate on going back to my country.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

1. In general, "lower tier" programs take more IMG's. However, low tier doesn't mean bad training -- it just might be less desirable location, or less services, etc.
2. The best way to answer that question is to see where grads from those programs go. Some fellowships can be very competitive, some not at all.
3. Hard to answer. Certainly residency programs tend to favor AMG's. Once you get training, you should be able to get a job. Some big name universities might not hire you, but you will have no trouble finding work (assuming there isn't a problem with oversupply in the field you're training in). Your ultimate trajectory will mostly depend upon the last institution in which you trained. So it depends upon what you mean by "career growth".
4. Maybe. ERAS has been somewhat difficult (for us) to use this year, which may delay some invites. But I'd plan on maximizing your chances at those 4.

Reactions: 3 users