IMG not applying this year, Using ERAS account as a "folder" to hold LORS for next years residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vitalsdoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm a caribbean medical student. I plan on participating in the 2018 match and will apply in september of 2017. Currently I am completing 4th year electives and will graduate by Dec of 2016. Along with each elective, I'm also receiving LOR's.

I was wondering if I could make an ERAS account now(despite the fact that I'm not applying/entering the match this year) so the preceptors can directly upload the LORs. I figured it would be easier to have a "folder" now with all my LORS that I can renew again in 2017. This seems easier than just telling the individual preceptors to "hold on to my letter for a year" and then contacting them again in september of 2017. Don't know if it's worth the risk of them possibly losing the LOR or maybe having difficulty contacting them.

Will this be a redflag for when I actually apply for residency in sep 2017? Even though I'm not entering the match this year. I've been told by ECFMG that according to them, next year I will be classified as a "reapplicant" if I was to register w/ eras this year, even if I don't apply this year....(however they did add that programs won't see the "reapplicant" status and thats simply a term that ecfmg just uses)

If anyone has personal experience w/ this matter or knows other individuals who have done the same thing, please let me know.

Ps The other option is to have one's school hold the LORS (caribbean school thing?) but won't that seem shady to residency programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: