****IMG Official 2017-2018 General Surgery Residency Interview Invites/ Rejections Thread****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSkully

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Keeping in line with previous years, this is the IMG version of the main 2017-2018 General Surgery interview invite/rejection list! Keeping in vein with the main thread, this is to allow IMGs to get an idea of timelines for reviewing IMG applications and help make the process easier/less stressful for all! Feel free to introduce yourselves!

Please enter the following under the corresponding state:
"Name of program / Categorical or Preliminary / (Date you received it) / Dates offered for interviews"

Please include rejections as well so we can get an idea of this years program IMG intentions.

Good luck everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Non-US IMG / YOG 2015 / I 239 / II 245 / CS 1st attempt / ECFMG certified / 3m USCE / 1 abstract publication /
Applications: 74 / Interviews: 0 / Rejections: 11

Rejections:
  1. New York Presbyterian Hospital, Columbia Campus (10/09)
  2. Georgetown University Hospital Categorical (10/12)
  3. MedStar Union Memorial Hospital (10/19)
  4. University of Maryland (10/30)
  5. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai/St Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital (11/01)
  6. Georgetown University Hospital Preliminary (11/02)
  7. Stony Brook Medicine/University Hospital (11/06)
  8. University of Pennsylvania (11/09)
  9. Albert Einstein Healthcare Jefferson Medical College (11/13)
  10. Staten Island University Hospital (11/17)
  11. St. Luke Hospital (11/26)

Last edited:
Non-US IMG / YOG 2015 / I 250 / II 254 / CS 1st attempt / ECFMG certified / 1m USCE / 7 papers/ 6 abstract poster/oral /
Applications: 155 / Interviews: 0 :(/ Rejections: 2
Rejection:
- Medical Center of Central Georgia/Mercer School of medicine
- Wright State University (No Visa)

Question: I saw on the main that Hopkins sent out for prelim? those are unassigned prelims or the Urology something, seems weird for a top program to send prelims so soon.

Best of luck to all!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
US-IMG / YOG 2018/ Step I 251 / Step II CK 250 / CS passed 1st attempt/ not ECFMG certified yet / 1+yr USCE
Application: 150+

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
non-US IMG / YOG 2018 / I 256 / II 270 / CS pass / not ECFMG certified yet / USCE 2months / 2 posters / Applications: 153.

interviews:
-John Hopkins PRELIM(9/26): 12/1, 12/8

Reactions: 3 users
Non-US IMG/ YOG 2016 / I 252 / II 270 / CS Pass / ECFMG Certified / USCE 0 months / 5 papers, 1 book chapter, 4 posters, 6 presentations
Interviews:
- Maimonides Prelim 9/29

Non-US IMG / YOG 2016 / I 235 / II 237 / CS 1st attempt / III 230 / ECFMG certified / USCE 0 m / 2 papers / 1 presentation / MSc candidate /
Applications: 65 / Interviews: 1 / Rejections: 9

Interviews:
- University of Toledo (11/7): 04/12

*Rejection:
- New York Presbyterian Program (10/9)
- Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center, MI (10/12)
- MedStar Union Memorial Hospital (10/19)
- University of Florida, FL
- Ohio State University Wexner Medical Centre
- Harlem Hospital Centre Program
- Mayo Clinic Rochester, Minnesota
- Mount Sinai St. Luke’s Roosevelt
- University of Maryland Program

Last edited:
Non-US IMG with GreenCard / YOG 2015 / I 214 / II 244 / III 224 / CS 1st attempt / ECFMG certified / 4m USCE / 2y US research / 30 publications / 2 book chapters / 30 presentations/posters

Applications: 108 / Interviews: 2 / Rejections: 4

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
I'm hoping IMGs are going to get invites later? Because based on the main thread, invites are being given like candy haha...what do you guys think?

Same here. I had 4 invites by the end of september (3 Cat., 1 prelim) but nothing since than. It's kinda frustrating

US-IMG/ YOG 2017/ I 219/ II 244/ III 217/ CS PASS 1st Attempt/ ECFMG Certified/ 3 years USCE/ On-going research/ no publications

125 Applications: 1 Interview, 2 Rejections

Bronx-Lebanon Hospital/ Categorical/ 10/11/17: 11/1, 11/8, 11/15, 11/29, 12/6, 12/13, 01/10, 01/17

Rejections from University of Kansas and Memorial Heath in Georgia

I'm hoping IMGs are going to get invites later? Because based on the main thread, invites are being given like candy haha...what do you guys think?

Yes, seems like it. The 2 interview invites I have are from hospitals that aren't even listed in the main 17-18 thread. Weird.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. I had 4 invites by the end of september (3 Cat., 1 prelim) but nothing since than. It's kinda frustrating

Congrats. Can you share your credentials and in which program did you receive the invitations? Thanks

COngrats. Decent number of IVs. Could you please share your credentials so that we all can know where we are standing?
Thanks.

Step 1 236, Step 2 255, CS Pass, 3 years research experience, 3 letters from US-surgeons, 4 months USCE in Surgery. YOG 2017

I just received a rejection from Georgetown University Hospital.

Hello
Non-US IMG / YOG 2014 / I 228 / II 250 / CS 1st attempt / ECFMG certified / 3m USCE+3 mo observer / 2y US research / 8 publications / 1 book chapters / +20 presentations/posters

Applications: 130 /
Interviews: 6 (UT Southwestern- St.Louis Univ.-Maryland, Oklahoma Univ., Yale, Rutgers)
Rejections: 24 (New York Presbyterian Hospital, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Univ. of Chicago, Maine, Univ Florida, Virginia Mason, Creighton University, Wayne state, Univ of Virginia, Mount Sinai St. Luke’s Roosevelt, Eastern Virginia Medical School, University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine in Knoxville, Houston Methodist Hospital, Stony Brook, Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals, Emory University, Hofstra Northwell General Residency at Staten Island University, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Summa Health System/NEOMED, University of Arizona, University of Pennsylvania, Washington University/B-JH/SLCH)
Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
Rejection from Wayne State/DMC

same here.... this turns into the great day of rejections :hungover: lets hope for a better day tomorrow

same here.... this turns into the great day of rejections :hungover: lets hope for a better day tomorrow
Not so related but have a quick question, how do you do 3- year research and graduate in 2017. That's pretty cool :D

I worked in a research group next to med school. I had a great supervisor and was able to work on the weekends and in the evening hours, which was very convenient.

Rejection from Wayne State/DMC.
A friend got a rejection from Georgetown.

I saw in the main post that quite a few programs I applied to (about 30) already sent out invites... would you consider not getting an invite at this point a silent rejection or is it more likely that they sent invites out in waives or review IMG applications later?

I wonder the same thing, I have heard that some programs do a second review, and others just sent their categorical and will send later for preliminary

The waiting is so nerve wrecking that I can't concentrate on prepping for the interview itself. Do you guys/girls deal with it? Can you share please??

The waiting is so nerve wrecking that I can't concentrate on prepping for the interview itself. Do you guys/girls deal with it? Can you share please??
It is like that, however, I am just focusing on doing great in the interviews that I already have. Because at this point those are my best options, I am just researching the program as much as possible, and if you know someone in there just talk to them to get an idea of what the interview will be like.

It is like that, however, I am just focusing on doing great in the interviews that I already have. Because at this point those are my best options, I am just researching the program as much as possible, and if you know someone in there just talk to them to get an idea of what the interview will be like.
Yeah, I see your point. I think that's a really good way to go, learning info about the program. I didn't see the programs you are interviewing, would you mind sharing ?

Yeah, I see your point. I think that's a really good way to go, learning info about the program. I didn't see the programs you are interviewing, would you mind sharing ?
Yes sure,

UTMB, UT Health San Antonio, Saint Louis University.

Yes sure,

Congrats, pretty cool. I have been waiting for an IV from UTHSA myself as well. I did an elective there, but nothing yet. Will see :) Good luck on your interviews.

Congrats, pretty cool. I have been waiting for an IV from UTHSA myself as well. I did an elective there, but nothing yet. Will see :) Good luck on your interviews.
Thanks! Good luck to you as well!

Yes sure,

Congrats on the interview offers. May I ask if you have 3 surgeon's letter in your applications? I'm interested in Saint Louis University and I haven't received any response from them yet. Can you also share your credentials?

Congrats on the interview offers. May I ask if you have 3 surgeon's letter in your applications? I'm interested in Saint Louis University and I haven't received any response from them yet. Can you also share your credentials?
Thanks, I submitted all my 4 letters from US surgeons.

Non-US IMG with green card/ YOG 2011 / Surgeon in my country / I 257 / II 259 / CS 1st attempt / ECFMG certified / 3 years of research currently in the 3rd year in 2 different universities / multiple oral presentations and peer reviewed publications.

Reactions: 2 users
BTW did you email them to express your interest in the program?

BTW did you email them to express your interest in the program?
Not yet. I was planning to, but I was thinking of doing it by the end of Oct in case they are still reviewing applicants and hopefully still sending interviewing offers.
Thanks, I submitted all my 4 letters from US surgeons.
Non-US IMG with green card/ YOG 2011 / Surgeon in my country / I 257 / II 259 / CS 1st attempt / ECFMG certified / 3 years of research currently in the 3rd year in 2 different universities / multiple oral presentations and peer reviewed publications.
Great scores and definitely you have an amazing background for them to consider you for an interview. I am still working on my medical degree, currently w/o any research exposure or publications. I was only able to attain one US surgeon's letter since I was rushing for this match.
I wish you the best of luck at your interview offers.

Rejection from Mercy Health St. Elizabeth Youngstown

Creighton University Program -reject categorical & prelim

Non-US IMG with GreenCard / YOG 2015 / I 214 / II 244 / III 224 / CS 1st attempt / ECFMG certified / 4m USCE / 2y US research / 30 publications / 2 book chapters / 30 presentations/posters

Applications: 108 / Interviews: 4 / Rejections: 6

I always applied for both Prelim and Cat but the programs never say if they are interested in me in Prelim or Cat. Not soothing my nerves, lol. Also the replies seem to be coming in very slow which makes it hard for me to plan ahead since I am afraid to have a time conflict for certain programs.

Last edited:
Actually McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine clearly stated that they sent me a rejection for categorical spot and will let me know for the prelim position.

Reactions: 1 users
Non-US IMG / YOG 2013 / I 234 / II 234 / CS 1st attempt / ECFMG certified / 1y USCE / 1y research / 2 publications / 3 presentations
Applications: 150 / Interviews: 0 / Rejections: 7

I am so nervous now.
Has anyone got interview from Providence Park hospital?

Non-US IMG / YOG 2013 / I 234 / II 234 / CS 1st attempt / ECFMG certified / 1y USCE / 1y research / 2 publications / 3 presentations
Applications: 150 / Interviews: 0 / Rejections: 7

I am so nervous now.
Has anyone got interview from Providence Park hospital?

If you don't mind, please answer to me. How you got 1 year of usce and what do you mean by usce? - observerships? and how you got 1 year research while not having a green card, you are on J1 already? Thank you and good luck. This might help next year applicants.

Actually McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine clearly stated that they sent me a rejection for categorical spot and will let me know for the prelim position.
Interesting! Sorry, didnt know that was possible. I removed my prior post.

If you don't mind, please answer to me. How you got 1 year of usce and what do you mean by usce? - observerships? and how you got 1 year research while not having a green card, you are on J1 already? Thank you and good luck. This might help next year applicants.

In my country, we have two United States Naval Hospital. We can join one residency program there and work there as a doctor with American physician for one year. Of course, patients and other staff are all American. This system is unique and I'm not sure that other countries have this kind of same system. This is not an observership. And, I researched for one year in my country not in America, sorry.