****IMG Official 2017-2018 General Surgery Residency Interview Invites/ Rejections Thread****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In my country, we have two United States Naval Hospital. We can join one residency program there and work there as a doctor with American physician for one year. Of course, patients and other staff are all American. This system is unique and I'm not sure that other countries have this kind of same system. This is not an observership. And, I researched for one year in my country not in America, sorry.

Sounds better than nothing, but I don't think that this will be considered as a USCE, actually it is us hospital but it is not in USA, I don't think that if I rotate for a year in US hospital an Italy it will be give me that "official" USCE. but anyways, in the end everything will go to Contacts and Green cards : )) your, mine, or anyones research is just a ...t because everyone knows that, what are medical students going to research? - nothing! I checked your previous year posts, seems that you have not worked on your contacts. Research is just for getting into game, seeing people, building contacts, unless you have done research at hopkins and invented a new surgical technique with less morbidity and mortality. Work on contacts.

I am not offensive I just try to help, because an Idea visited me right now! I check naval hospital, most probably you are from japan right? You are pgy3 or pgy4 right know. You can graduate from you GS program, then do Non-ACGME acteddited fellowship, for example in transplant, and after this real usce for a year you can aplly for gs even categorical (considering your normal uscmle scores), some people even wave the requirment for residency and start working after in hospital as an operating surgeon, just check how much people work as a surgeons in usa without doing a residency in usa, just fellowships. mostly that will be people in demand, in more underserved areas, i saw many ct surgeons, ent surgeons, transplant guys without residency in usa, that sounds strange right? - and you will most probably find no information about how this things happen, but there is samething called "residency requirment waiver". Bilion things happen in this beatiful country, you just need to find you own door.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It has been quiet this week, any news?

Sounds better than nothing, but I don't think that this will be considered as a USCE, actually it is us hospital but it is not in USA, I don't think that if I rotate for a year in US hospital an Italy it will be give me that "official" USCE. but anyways, in the end everything will go to Contacts and Green cards : )) your, mine, or anyones research is just a ...t because everyone knows that, what are medical students going to research? - nothing! I checked your previous year posts, seems that you have not worked on your contacts. Research is just for getting into game, seeing people, building contacts, unless you have done research at hopkins and invented a new surgical technique with less morbidity and mortality. Work on contacts.

I am not offensive I just try to help, because an Idea visited me right now! I check naval hospital, most probably you are from japan right? You are pgy3 or pgy4 right know. You can graduate from you GS program, then do Non-ACGME acteddited fellowship, for example in transplant, and after this real usce for a year you can aplly for gs even categorical (considering your normal uscmle scores), some people even wave the requirment for residency and start working after in hospital as an operating surgeon, just check how much people work as a surgeons in usa without doing a residency in usa, just fellowships. mostly that will be people in demand, in more underserved areas, i saw many ct surgeons, ent surgeons, transplant guys without residency in usa, that sounds strange right? - and you will most probably find no information about how this things happen, but there is samething called "residency requirment waiver". Bilion things happen in this beatiful country, you just need to find you own door.

Yeah, as you said, I am Japanese and PGY4. I worked on contacts but didn't work.
Thank you very much for your advice. Of course, I will do my best this year, but I am going to check about the guys without residency in U.S and find my best way!(^o^)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, as you said, I am Japanese and PGY4. I worked on contacts but didn't work.
Thank you very much for your advice. Of course, I will do my best this year, but I am going to check about the guys without residency in U.S and find my best way!(^o^)

check your pm.

Rejection from Union Memorial in Baltimore....

Reactions: 1 user
Rejection from Union Memorial in Baltimore....

Same here. Do you mind sharing when and where did you receive interview invites and if you can specify whether prelim vs cat? The slow response from programs is driving me crazy. Thanks.

Non-US IMG with GreenCard / YOG 2015 / I 214 / II 244 / III 224 / CS 1st attempt / ECFMG certified / 4m USCE / 2y US research / 30 publications / 2 book chapters / 30 presentations/posters

Applications: 108 / Interviews: 4 / Rejections: 6

I always applied for both Prelim and Cat but the programs never say if they are interested in me in Prelim or Cat. Not soothing my nerves, lol. Also the replies seem to be coming in very slow which makes it hard for me to plan ahead since I am afraid to have a time conflict for certain programs.

Congratz on the interview offers. Can you share the programs you are interviewing at, and whether cat or prelim?

Interview from Cleveland Clinic Ohio. Email said I am considered for both positions Cat/prelim

Reactions: 1 users
- Houston Methodist
- St Luke Bethlehem PA
- Easton PA
- Tufts

You can't tell if there are categorical or prelim offers
You can call the program and ask them specifically what are you being interview for. I called to one of the program where I am going to be interviewed, which they said I am being interviewed for Cat and if I would also like to be considered for prelim as well, then that I should let them know.
I would assume you are being interviewed for Cat since it is early in the interview season. May I ask when did you receive St Luke and Easton PA interview offers? I am still waiting for their response.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo rochester prelim (10/21) : 12/6-7
Cleveland clinic prelim : 11/15 , 12/13

This waiting drives me crazy. The main discussion seems to be overflowing with interview invites. Anything new for any of you?

Hey guys, new to this thread.
IMG from Non-top 4 Carib school. US citizen. Step 1/Step 2: 260+/260+. CS pass first time. Top rank in class on MSPE, 3 publications, 2 months research at Prestigious East Coast University.
I applied to Categorical only (now kinda regretting this choice): 115 programs

4 Interviews:
UCF
Sinai Baltimore
UPMC Pinnacle
Jersey Shore

10 rejections

I am assuming this week will be slow, PD are at the ACS clinical congress.

thanks for the info I totally forgot that.

Invitation from Staten Island University/Hofstra Northwell.

Rejection from Conemaugh memorial medical center.

Rejection from Maine Medical Center and University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Chattanooga..

Is the Staten Island one prelim or categorical? Thanks.

Non-US IMG with Pending GreenCard / YOG 2016 (Max score)/ I and II less than average / CS 1st attempt / ECFMG certified / 3m USCE hands on + 2m Observers / Currently researcher in a very prestigious academic center / 9 publications / 1 video / 1 poster
Received minor study grants in home country.

Applications: >170
Interviews: 2
Rejections for categorical: >20 (part of them is also for a Preliminary spot I believe).

I would be happy to share any details in private. Also, my interview is very close and I would be glad to practice with anybody willing to!

Feel free to reach out in any case: I think we are in the same boat and we should help each other as much as possible.
Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences!:thumbup:

Last edited:
Second waive of interviews will come soon. Good luck everyone. Hopefully we all can get a good spot!

Non-US IMG with Pending GreenCard / YOG 2016 (Max score)/ I and II less than average / CS 1st attempt / ECFMG certified / 3m USCE hands on + 2m Observers / Currently researcher in a very prestigious academic center / 9 publications / 1 video / 1 poster
Received minor study grants in home country.

Applications: >170
Interviews: 1
Rejections for categorical: >20 (part of them is also for a Preliminary spot I believe).

I would be happy to share any details in private. Also, my interview is very close and I would be glad to practice with anybody willing to!

Feel free to reach out in any case: I think we are in the same boat and we should help each other as much as possible.
Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences!:thumbup:

Hi there, Wish you a good luck on the Iv trail! I have a question, please asnwer to this. What do you mean by yog 2016 (max score), max score of what? and your step 1 and 2 are less than average, so less that 228 which is US average, of less that 239 which is average for US-IMG's applying for general surgery which you are considering pending green card (If I am not wrong anyone who is permanent resident is considered as a US-IMG). Thank you.

Just received a very well written rejection letter from Vanderbilt. Very kind pd

Preliminary interview at University of Maryland, the email said they will contact again in December to schedule the date. It will be a phone interview

Rejection from Mayo Clinic Rochester

Second waive of interviews will come soon. Good luck everyone. Hopefully we all can get a good spot!
How do you know there is a second wave of interview coming soon? Is it typical to have those send around the month of Nov? Does second wave mean that people cancelled interviews on the first wave and we are second in line for consideration? But second wave sounds great, I am still awaiting to hear back from some program.

Last edited:
Categorical

Also, Congrats on the Staten Island interview! I really want an interview there since I am from NYC, hopefully they are still sending interviews. I really want to match in NYC. :(

Last edited:
Also, Congrats on the Staten Island interview! I really want an interview there since I am from NYC, hopefully they are still sending interviews. I really want to match in NYC. :(
Thanks, hopefully you will get IVs in New York, there are plenty of programs and I think they will continue to send interviews! :)

Yes me too!!!

I just got an Email from Gundersen Lutheran that they are still reviewing applications and will sent out invites by 11/15, so I think (and hope) that we can still expect some more invites

US-IMG / YOG 2018/ Step I 251 / Step II CK 250 / CS passed 1st attempt/ not ECFMG certified yet / 1+yr USCE

Hey that's pretty awesome. I wanted to ask you about the Brooklyn hospital interview. Is there any trick you did to take it. I mean your credentials are amazing but I was wondering. Thanks

Rejection from Stanford... Well, I could dream for a while at least! Lol