IMG question: Need Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkey Jones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, but it's the best I could find. I am applying for 2014 IM match. I got 225 on Step 1, and am a US citizen IMG. I recently took my Step 2 CS, and believe that I might have failed. I won't get the result back until August, and won't be able to reapply for it until later this year.

How much will lacking a passed Step 2 CS hurt my chaces for getting interviews. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

As an IMG, you are expected to have results for Step 1, Step 2 CK and CS available by the time you apply on September 15th or shortly thereafter. Exceptions are certainly made by program directors, but this is the standard. Failing CS would be a large blow to your application. Hopefully you just "felt" like you flunked but did fine. But make no mistake, not having Step 2 CK results is not helping your application either.

Thank you for the reply. I am scheduled to take Step 2 CK in mid August, so it should come back in time. The issue lies with my Step 2 CS. If I do in fact fail (which, trust me, I definitely failed) should I still apply before having retaken Step 2 CS? I won't be able to retake it until October the earliest, which makes results come out for December.

Should I just wait a year and apply for 2015 match maybe?

It will only be harder to match if you wait till next year. In the unfortunate event that you do fail I would retake it immediately and move forward with the opportunities available this year? What did you do that makes you sure you flunked? As IMG, apply broadly. As IMG w CS failure you should apply broadly and to multiple specialties

Did you do a rectal exam? If you didn't, you probably didn't fail.

If you did unfortunately fail, submit without your CS fail update and re-take the exam ASAP--hound the CS scheduling website and fly anywhere in the country that has a date open up. Then send an updated transcript when you get the new grade back.

Thanks for the replies.

Can I somehow apply via ERAS without the programs seeing that I failed Step 2 CS? I haven't started my ERAS yet so I am new to this. My results are expected to come out on August 11. Perhaps if I apply before August 11? Any tips would be highly appreciated.

If you guys want, I can go into some details about why I failed, but I'm guessing no one wants to hear that story. Given the higher passing marks for 2013, I am sure that I will fail. There's no question about it.

Actually, IIRC August 11 will be too early of a score release for you to hide a failed step score. ERAS can't be submitted until September 15 so you can't apply before you score comes out.

If it comes down to it, the reason for the fail doesn't matter; you can share if you think it would be cathartic but it won't matter in the big scheme of things. In that case just apply with the fail and retake ASAP.

All of this might be moot, though. The step 2 forum is littered with threads from people who freaked out after the test sure that they failed, and then it turned out they did fine. It doesn't do much good to feet about something that might be nothing.

Does ERAS carry over one year to the next? Lets say I have my 4 letters uploaded on ERAS for the 2014 match, but I don't match because of my failed Step 2 CS. Will those letters still be there on ERAS for the 2015 match or will I have to ask everyone to rewrite letters for me?

And yes, you are incorrect in that I shouldn't be worried about this until I actually see a failing mark, but if you'd hear how my exam went, you would agree that I definitely failed it :-(

Thanks for any info.