IMG Step 1 228, 2016 match. Am I out of the race?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakomo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I just got my Step 1 score back today, and was disappointed to get a 228. I am a Canadian citizen.

228 is the average US score, however we all know IMGs are held to more stringent standards.

Aside from the standard 'do well on step 2 and get LORS', or the 'other factors' that affect matching, i'd like to hear thoughts strictly on this score itself for a non US citizen IMG. Does it really displace me in terms of competitiveness?

My thought on it is this: It doesnt close any doors for me, but its not going to do me any huge favors either. Is this about right? Too optimistic? Too pessimistic? Im most interested in matching in any of FM, IM, EM.

Please advise? Would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

My thought on it is this: It doesnt close any doors for me, but its not going to do me any huge favors either. Is this about right?

Would say this is about right.

Try to get some rotations or experience in a hospital that accepts IMG's. I would pick IM, FM, or EM and concentrate my efforts on one of the fields and get LOR's from faculty in the U.S., from the field you have choosen. Apply broadly.

I'm not an expert, but it's what I've tried to do as an IMG in this year's match.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone

I just got my Step 1 score back today, and was disappointed to get a 228. I am a Canadian citizen.

228 is the average US score, however we all know IMGs are held to more stringent standards.

Aside from the standard 'do well on step 2 and get LORS', or the 'other factors' that affect matching, i'd like to hear thoughts strictly on this score itself for a non US citizen IMG. Does it really displace me in terms of competitiveness?

My thought on it is this: It doesnt close any doors for me, but its not going to do me any huge favors either. Is this about right? Too optimistic? Too pessimistic? Im most interested in matching in any of FM, IM, EM.

Please advise? Would really appreciate it.
You're a canadian citizen but did you go to school in the US, Canada, or elsewhere? Possible visa issues nonwithstanding, if you're a grad of a US or Canadian medical school, I'm fairly certain you're not an "IMG". The LCME accredits all US/Canadian med schools.

Reactions: 1 user
You're a canadian citizen but did you go to school in the US, Canada, or elsewhere? Possible visa issues nonwithstanding, if you're a grad of a US or Canadian medical school, I'm fairly certain you're not an "IMG". The LCME accredits all US/Canadian med schools.

Hello and thank you for the response.

I am a Canadian citizen, but went to school at a Caribbean medical school that has the required accreditations to practice in the US - there are numerous practicing graduates.

Basically what Im looking/hoping to hear is that provided the WORST case scenario happens in Step 2 - another perfectly average score, can I kiss chances of matching even at FM goodbye simply because of the IMG/Visa status? Im not concerned about competitive residencies or location - I just want to be able to practice good form of medicine in the US.

Hello and thank you for the response.

I am a Canadian citizen, but went to school at a Caribbean medical school that has the required accreditations to practice in the US - there are numerous practicing graduates.

Basically what Im looking/hoping to hear is that provided the WORST case scenario happens in Step 2 - another perfectly average score, can I kiss chances of matching even at FM goodbye simply because of the IMG/Visa status? Im not concerned about competitive residencies or location - I just want to be able to practice good form of medicine in the US.
You're being silly.

An average score is not going to "kiss your chances goodbye" for an uncompetitive specialty/location.

You're being silly.

An average score is not going to "kiss your chances goodbye" for an uncompetitive specialty/location.

Well, Im happy you told me that, thank you lol

Didn't mean to be silly. I am just concerned given the fact that I am an IMG, and not a US citizen. So where that may have been more than sufficient for a US med student or a US citizen IMG, I was worried it may not be sufficient for a guy in my shoes that has the wrong country's passport with his name on it ;)

If anyone else has any reassurance, stories, personal experience, encouragement it would make me very happy to hear it!

Well, Im happy you told me that, thank you lol

Didn't mean to be silly. I am just concerned given the fact that I am an IMG, and not a US citizen. So where that may have been more than sufficient for a US med student or a US citizen IMG, I was worried it may not be sufficient for a guy in my shoes that has the wrong country's passport with his name on it ;)

If anyone else has any reassurance, stories, personal experience, encouragement it would make me very happy to hear it!
Canada's hardly a country; it's more of far upstate NY right? ;)

It (you score) won't benefit you of course but take a look at the NRMP Charting Outcomes for the Match and you can see what percentage of IMGs match with your board score.

Reactions: 1 users
Do as well as you can from now on. I imagine you still have a pretty realistic shot at FM and IM. EM is getting more competitive and I haven't heard of EM programs being filled with IMGs (like I know multiple FM and IM programs to be) Pick one (you're not locked into FM only with your Step 1 score) and apply broadly in that field only. If it's IM, apply to community and rural programs.

Do as well as you can from now on. I imagine you still have a pretty realistic shot at FM and IM. EM is getting more competitive and I haven't heard of EM programs being filled with IMGs (like I know multiple FM and IM programs to be) Pick one (you're not locked into FM only with your Step 1 score) and apply broadly in that field only. If it's IM, apply to community and rural programs.

Yes, absolutely. I am very confident I will beat the average on Step 2. While studying for Step 1 I had a number of personal events/issues ranging from death to sickness to divorce in my family so I was quite distracted if Step 1 on its own hadnt reduced my morale to almost nothing - its never an excuse and I wont allow it to be one so fingers crossed from here on out.

Thanks to everyone for the advice/encouragement thus far. Any more advice/feedback will be very much welcomed.