IMG Student in India thinking of not even giving Step 1.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOthers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll keep this short.

1.I knew I wouldn't get in the states so I went abroad to India.
2. I did a year of Pre-Med in the US and got a 3.0 GPA.
2. I barely passed first year.
3. I'm a usa born and raised citizen.
4. I was looking at the Kaplan USMLE Step 1 practice questions and I got most of the stuff wrong on the Anatomy, Biochem and Physiology Sections

5. I realized that I'm a lazy bastard and I have already started studying 3 times as much this year.

Stay or quit and do something else?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll keep this short.

1.I knew I wouldn't get in the states so I went abroad to India.
2. I did a year of Pre-Med in the US and got a 3.0 GPA.
2. I barely passed first year.
3. I'm a usa born and raised citizen.
4. I was looking at the Kaplan USMLE Step 1 practice questions and I got most of the stuff wrong on the Anatomy, Biochem and Physiology Sections

5. I realized that I'm a lazy bastard and I have already started studying 3 times as much this year.

Stay or quit and do something else?

"Lazy bastard"s tend to have difficulty in the medical profession. Step 1 isn't the last test you have to get past in the medical career -- there are three steps, and then in residency there will be annual in-service exams, then board certification tests, and every X years there will likely be re-certification tests. This is a career you will be expected to study and learn pretty much forever. You are probably innately smart enough to study and pass everything, given enough time and effort, but if you don't have the motivation (ie are a lazy bastard), that's a real problem and may hinder this career path. Only you can decide whether you are willing to redouble your efforts and change your life to a study oriented one, or not. If not, then sure there are tons of jobs where you don't have to regularly study or take tests.

I thought students who went to Indian Medical Schools were smart.

everyone is a lazy bastard deep down inside.. i think it all depends on how much you want to work for your goals...but the previous poster was right. in medicine you will have to take exams constantly, they will be a never ending part of your life..

when you went to india for med school, what was your plan after you finished? did you intend to come back to the states? did you look into it?

Members don't see this ad :)
everyone is a lazy bastard deep down inside.. i think it all depends on how much you want to work for your goals...but the previous poster was right. in medicine you will have to take exams constantly, they will be a never ending part of your life..

when you went to india for med school, what was your plan after you finished? did you intend to come back to the states? did you look into it?

I intend to come back to the states. I'm pretty worried about not getting a residency spot though because apparently its going to be next to impossible when i graduate. (4 yrs from now)

dude,
my points for you:

1. you didnt post here if you didnt want to come back to the states. You would getting high/ doing something else.
2. You cant be lazy if you want to be a doctor, anywhere in the world.
3. You got some time to change your attitude.
4. Dont worry, we were all lazy in the beginning of med school, stick to the curriculum in India, do what the professors want from you, and you should turn out a different man/woman after you finish.
5. Residency is always been difficult to get into, **** son, if it was easy, everyone would be a doctor.
6. Have faith, in yourself, in god, in your family, whatever, but have faith.