IMG terminated from FM residency. What to do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
seriously, you decide to champion a guy who quit his surgery prelim spot ONE WEEK into it cuz it was "too hard" for him and then was effectively fired from his second residency??

we have ALL had "that attending" the one that seemingly picks on an intern or resident...and guess what? the way you fix it is by stepping up to the plate and show them you are willing to learn, that you are willing to take the criticism and that you improve...

and L2D doesn't have to KNOW every attending out there to know that that most teaching attendings are not looking to be "mean" to interns and residents...these are people who choose to be in academics instead of pp..making less money and dealing with the politics of academia to do so...but i'm sure it annoys some of them when the intern or resident shows little to no interest in listening to constructive criticism or acting on advice to improve...or evidently doesn't realize the seriousness of being placed on probation.

I'm not championing anyone but I'm supporting someone whose down on his luck (as opposed to kicking him as Law2Doc is doing). I was referring to his post where he said there are no attendings who are out there to fire residents. Also most people I know who went the academic route didn't do it because they liked to teach, they did because they either:

1. were lazy
2. were deluded enough to think that becoming an academician will make them famous
3. couldn't cut it in private practice

I've met a total of 2 attendings (out of the 100s I met during my 5 years of training and 4 years of medschool) who did it because they wanted to teach. Law2Doc is a little delusional.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
...Also most people I know who went the academic route didn't do it because they liked to teach, they did because they either:

1. were lazy
2. were deluded enough to think that becoming an academician will make them famous

I've met a total of 2 attendings (out of the 100s I met during my 5 years of training and 4 years of medschool) who did it because they wanted to teach. ...
Sounds legit...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not championing anyone but I'm supporting someone whose down on his luck (as opposed to kicking him as Law2Doc is doing). I was referring to his post where he said there are no attendings who are out there to fire residents. Also most people I know who went the academic route didn't do it because they liked to teach, they did because they either:

1. were lazy

I've met a total of 2 attendings (out of the 100s I met during my 5 years of training and 4 years of medschool) who did it because they wanted to teach. Law2Doc is a little delusional.

I would suggest that if you are accurately reporting your attendings' motivation during medical training, your experience may not have robust external validity.

The "lone gunman" theory of resident termination is well represented on this board but it's not a useful construct. If some random jerk decides to ruin your life just because they can, there's no learning point from that. Furthermore, it doesn't really help other docs in training from avoiding a similar fate. If a resident is getting into trouble due to lack of knowledge and insufficient insight, that's something that could be fixable and could keep that resident from being fired. What's happened to the OP is done, but I feel that most of the attending posters on this forum want to try and help trainees reading this that might be walking down the same path.

Reactions: 4 users
The "lone gunman" theory of resident termination is well represented on this board but it's not a useful construct...

Agree with your post. I would also point out that this theory is "well represented" on this board in most cases only because we don't hear the other side of the story. It's much easier for someone to wrap their mind around the idea that "my attending had it in for me" than "I screwed up".

Reactions: 2 users
I would suggest that if you are accurately reporting your attendings' motivation during medical training, your experience may not have robust external validity.

The "lone gunman" theory of resident termination is well represented on this board but it's not a useful construct. If some random jerk decides to ruin your life just because they can, there's no learning point from that. Furthermore, it doesn't really help other docs in training from avoiding a similar fate. If a resident is getting into trouble due to lack of knowledge and insufficient insight, that's something that could be fixable and could keep that resident from being fired. What's happened to the OP is done, but I feel that most of the attending posters on this forum want to try and help trainees reading this that might be walking down the same path.

I was trained in top 10 institutions in a very competitive specialty, so I agree with you that my training was skewed (more prestige-***** attendings?). I reply to posts to help out someone whose down on their luck. I doubt anyone would come and read these threads before theyre about to get fired to get some introspection and resolve their problems.

Reactions: 1 user
I was trained in top 10 institutions in a very competitive specialty, so I agree with you that my training was skewed (more prestige-***** attendings?). I reply to posts to help out someone whose down on their luck. I doubt anyone would come and read these threads before theyre about to get fired to get some introspection and resolve their problems.

Congrats on your prestige brah, we are all impressed

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck with getting rid of COMLEX, given its written into various state laws. The licensing boards give no f---ks what the program directors say on the matter.
They should just make the COMLEX P/F and require the USMLE.

Reactions: 1 user