IMG Trying for University IM Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Domek

Hue hue hue dude, look when I joined...
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third-year student at an international school, ultimately going for hematology/oncology. Just finished my Step 1 exam so I've been putting some serious thought into my upcoming years and future prospects.

I am interested in internal medicine, but I wouldn't want to get "stuck" in it. I'd like to maximize my chances of sub-specialization, so I'd love to get into a university-based internal medicine program. I know that I still have Step 2, LOR, USCE to focus on, but I had some questions I wanted to throw out here...

First of all, what range of Step 1 scores would be considered competitive for a university-based IM program?

How important is research/publications for these programs?

And what else could I do to boost my application? Specifically, I'm considering taking a year after graduation to try and get more USCE, I've heard this can be beneficial.

Any thoughts, criticisms, recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You may have better luck posting this in the IM subforum instead of taking advice from the plebes here. All you’ll hear is “omg why did I go to medical school life sux I hate patients how do I become an NP”

Reactions: 2 users
...not gonna lie, I was at least a little bit tempted to post just that in response to my own thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a third-year student at an international school, ultimately going for hematology/oncology. Just finished my Step 1 exam so I've been putting some serious thought into my upcoming years and future prospects.

I am interested in internal medicine, but I wouldn't want to get "stuck" in it. I'd like to maximize my chances of sub-specialization, so I'd love to get into a university-based internal medicine program. I know that I still have Step 2, LOR, USCE to focus on, but I had some questions I wanted to throw out here...

First of all, what range of Step 1 scores would be considered competitive for a university-based IM program?

How important is research/publications for these programs?

And what else could I do to boost my application? Specifically, I'm considering taking a year after graduation to try and get more USCE, I've heard this can be beneficial.

Any thoughts, criticisms, recommendations would be very much appreciated.

230s and above.

Research is important for most and absolutely necessary for some.

What school are you coming from?

230s and above.

Research is important for most and absolutely necessary for some.

What school are you coming from?

I’m studying in Poland. I do have a decent Step 1 score so I guess I’ll focus on clinical grades and try and squeeze a bit of research in too.