IMG wanting to obtain PTAL for Cali

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok,

I scoured the forums but I couldn't find much help on previous threads for PTAL.

Can anyone post some links/old threads that can steer me in obtaining PTAL?

I am an IMG from UK, and will be applying this year for residency.

A few follow-up questions:

1. I am graduating this month, and will be collecting my M.D diploma on July 23rd. I then hope to get ECFMG certificate within a few weeks. How long does it take to get PTAL?

2. Is ECFMG certificate required for PTAL, or Just M.D diploma?

3. What types of documentation is required for PTAL?

4. Do I have to be an American citizen to get PTAL? I saw online that you need a Social Security Number (SSN)....I only have a Canadian SSD...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My understanding is that you do need a US social security number to apply for a PTAL.

Jonathan

Ok I did google it, but it doesn't really give any timeframe anywhere (weeks? months?)

I called the office in Sacramento as well, and apparently you don't need Social Security Number to apply, but only need it when you start working in the states as a resident.

Although I'm still a bit concerned, since it clearly states on page 6:

"Disclosure of your United States Security Number is mandatory"...

Hmmmm

Reactions: 1 user
no you do need to have an SSN or they will reject your application. Unless this has changed from last year, because I can tell you I definitely would have applied to california if it weren't for that. Also bear in mind very few programs that sponsor H1B visas in california (this will vary slightly from specialty but in general not many).

Hmmm, you sure? Cause I did call them on Monday, and they said opposite.

Anyone else willing to call :p

Oh yeah, I'm just hoping for J1 visa if I do match. H1b is difficult ANYWHERE, let alone Cali.

no you do need to have an SSN or they will reject your application. Unless this has changed from last year, because I can tell you I definitely would have applied to california if it weren't for that. Also bear in mind very few programs that sponsor H1B visas in california (this will vary slightly from specialty but in general not many).

well i didnt apply for PTAL so im not sure but they said they would not process my application without a SSN. This was in 2011.

I mailed them ,they said you can apply for PTAL but they wont issue letter untill you provide SSN . Its kind of futile vicious circle.
Programs dont match you if you dont have PTAL , which will give Visa , whcih will give you SSN.
So summarizing : you cant get PTAL without SSN

Well I called cali today,

they said you can apply for PTAL without SSN, but won't give it to you until you get SSN...but you can get J1 visa once you match right?

I mean, I find it hard to believe that every single IMG that has ever matched into cali has a SSN?

There must be some 'real IMGs' that match..no?

I mailed them ,they said you can apply for PTAL but they wont issue letter untill you provide SSN . Its kind of futile vicious circle.
Programs dont match you if you dont have PTAL , which will give Visa , whcih will give you SSN.
So summarizing : you cant get PTAL without SSN

I hate to say this, but last year the number of IMG's who matched into Rad Onc was zero. Your chances are very small. Without a PTAL, they are even smaller. And Cali is one of the most competitive states.

Few years back I spent a summer in US on student work&travel program on J1 visa. I was given a ssn then. My understanding is than ssn number is valid for life. However, on my social security card it says "valid for work only with DHS authorization". My j1 visa from that summer obviously expired, and i don't possess work permit (H1B/j1/GC) at this moment.
Can I apply for PTAL with that SSN?