IMG who failed Step 2 CS.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markjcshen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm an IMG and participate in the 2009 match (internal medicine). I have sound Step 1 score (244/99) and good LoR from US doctors. I don't need a visa. However, I failed my Step 2 CS exam. (My Step 2 CK is due on July. 31)

I've already re-registered for a second attempt, which is in mid-November. According to the reporting schedule, the score will be notified by the ranking. I hope I can pass this time.

Here are my questions:

1. When I'm working on the CAF part in MyERAS, should I use "failed" or "will take" to describe my Step 2 CS? My intuition tells me to choose the latter but I just wanna make sure it's okay to do so.
  2. Should I apply for a USMLE transcript and authorize the auto-transmission? It seems that it's impossible to reveal my Step 1 score while holding the failed history, right?
Any input will be appreciated. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

well, y dont u email the eras support services, probably they will provide u with a good answer

1. When I'm working on the CAF part in MyERAS, should I use "failed" or "will take" to describe my Step 2 CS? My intuition tells me to choose the latter but I just wanna make sure it's okay to do so.
  2. Should I apply for a USMLE transcript and authorize the auto-transmission? It seems that it's impossible to reveal my Step 1 score while holding the failed history, right?
Any input will be appreciated. :oops:

#1 is a common question without a clear answer. Honestly, most PD's don't put much stock in what you put on your CAF as far as the USMLE's. One application last year listed only "pass" after failing a single step 12 times.

#2 is "correct" -- you cannot release your Step 1 score without also releasing your Step 2 CS score. You could wait until you pass CS before releasing anything -- depends on when you plan to retake it.

Some programs may decline to interview you without a pass on CS. If you can retake it early and pass, it will help your application.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the prompt replies.

So, I'll follow my instinct to enter "will take" for my Step 2 CS part. And the most important thing for now is to boost my CK score up.

Can IMGs without ECFMG certificate by application still get some invites? If I do get some invites, I may arrange it after my CS (mid-November). What should I respond if the PD ask me about the failure?

Thanks. :confused:

Some programs require ECFMG to interview. Some do not.

If someone asks you about your CS failure, you should tell the truth. Why did you fail it, how will you pass it the next time, and what did you learn from it.

Honestly, you should expect to be asked about this at every interview.