IMG with bad score in step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borrelia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a recently graduated (2008) IMG, trying to get into IM or a prelim. year medicine position. I want to know where I stand, to ideally match into a good or "middle of the road" Academic program.

1.- 211 / 249, ECFMG Certified. :(
2.- Hands on US clinical experience
3.- Graduated top 10% of my class
4.- Great LoRs from well known US physicians
5.- Basic science research and currently waiting to be published
6.- Don't need a visa

Thanks!!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am a recently graduated (2008) IMG, trying to get into IM or a prelim. year medicine position. I want to know where I stand, to ideally match into a good or "middle of the road" Academic program.

1.- 211 / 249, ECFMG Certified. :(
2.- Hands on US clinical experience
3.- Graduated top 10% of my class
4.- Great LoRs from well known US physicians
5.- Basic science research and currently waiting to be published
6.- Don't need a visa

Thanks!!!:)

Those are good scores but why didn't you try to match into 2009?

Because I was not ECFMG certified before the match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like it would be hard to match into the pickier US medicine programs (talking about popular big city areas, California, competitive places like UT Southwestern, Mayo, Emory, etc.) due to being foreign trained and then the 211 Step 1, but the Step 2 score is quite good. If you could get the research published that would be nice. Good LOR's are definitely important, IMHO, so if you have that I think you're safe to match somewhere especially if you don't need a visa. I'm no authority on finding a spot as a foreign grad, though, as I've never been one.

The thing you have to remember is that the well-known university residency programs don't really have to go looking for foreign grads to fill up their programs...they have so many US grads with similar stats to yours who are fighting over the positions. However, there are many, many IM programs around that don't suck and would love to have you, and that would likely give you a good shot at fellowship. I would think as a foreign grad I would have just applied to a larger range of places, and gone on a high number of interviews (more than the 7 or so I did as a US grad) just to make myself feel safe that I'd get a spot somewhere. I've found that working any connections you have (i.e. apply to places where your LOR writers trained, such as where they did med school or residency, or where they know other faculty, such as hospitals in their geographic region, etc.) is helpful in applying for residency and fellowship. It only makes sense that people trust the word/recommendation of someone they know over a random LOR writer. Also, you can apply at the hospitals where you did clinical rotations, and may have a shot there.

Hey Borrellia,

Dragonfly gave really good advice.

From my past experience with my upperclassmen, the Step 2 score is just as impt as the Step 1 and an improvement is wonderful. You did really great on your Step 2 and improved, I've heard how impt that is to some PD's.

One of the ppl in the class above mine, matched into a really great FM program with a 200 on Step 1 and then a 225 on Step 2, my point being the improvement is generally well viewed upon and brought up during the interview.

Sure we've got more hurdles to jump through, but I don't think your Step scores should hurt you too the point of detriment. You already jumped through the whole ECFMG certified thing, which some programs use to avoid Carib grads.

Make sure you check out the how to apply section in the program listings. There are cut-off scores in some programs, don't apply if you don't have those scores. I believe your application goes through a filter and if you don't have the number's you're wasting your $$.

Also, if you're still really worried, have you considered applying to combined programs. Usually AMG's aren't interested in these programs b/c of the longer training and perhaps this could be your back-up? Also when you apply to fellowships, like IM/Peds you could apply to both Cards/GI/Allergy in peds and Cards in IM...

Keep confident, :luck:
A

P.S. Talk to your upperclassmen and your school, they can give better advice than this board b/c they have more experience in the matter. Haha, before I read your post I thought you'd failed Step or something...you're fine (I think). :p

Hey Ariee and Dragonfly99,

Thank you so much for your opinion and good advice!! :) I am leaning towards a combined program ...