IMGs Applying to Internal Medicine. 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very true, but you missed the point.
you do realize that sometimes an answer or a response to A post isn't necessarily directed AT you...there are others that come here for advice, help, or just to see what is going on...

telling someone that even 15 IVs is no guarantee is misleading...there are data that show that there is a pretty good shot at matching with 15 IVs...while someone can crash and burn at one interview, hopefully they do not at all 15 (you can always have a bad day, or be nervous on the 1st interview, etc)...but of course there is always "that guy" that just rubs everyone the wrong way, or looks waaay better on paper than in person (know of someone who had 10 path interviews and still didn't match), so interview still can play a big role in getting someone DNR even though academically they passed muster.

and FYI, ECFMG certification doesn't just come out...you have to apply for ECFMG certification (and it can take a week or 2 to get it, depends on the time of the year- May and June it takes longer)...and for most programs certification is not mandatory (unless of course they are looking to keep I/FMGs out) since having a diploma is required for certification...most programs however are going to want people to be ECFMG verified (that does automatically post on your NRMP profile), meaning that you have passed I, CK, and CS (III is not a requirement for verification)...there have been a number of threads over the last few years that discussed verified vs certified if someone wants more info.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You are right, I'm just going to stop posting. Good luck everyone! see you on the other side!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an “application on hold” email from a program. At least it’s not a rejection?

US-IMG Yog 2017

Step 1:250's
Step 2:250's
CS: pass first attempt
LoR's: 4 US (only 1 from IM - other's from other specialties on USCE)
USCE: 4 months
Research: 1 poster, a couple case reports

Applied to a 160 programs (leaning towards desirable cities). goal to go 18-20 interviews total:

Interviews:
Cook County Stroger
Jacobi
Henry Ford Wayne State
Casewestern Metrohealth
Baylor - Dallas
Bronx Lebanon
Maryland Midtown
New York Presbyterian Brooklyn
New York Presbyterian Queens
Advocate Illinois Masonic
Newark Beth Israel
Miami Palm Beach
Nassau U
Florida Atlantic University
Hofstra Staten Island
Methodist Dallas
Nevada Reno
Providence Hospital D.C.
Broward

Dropped II's:
Memorial Healthcare - Florida
Lincoln Medical Center
Florida Hospital Medical Center
St. Johns Ascension
Manatee Memorial
Mercy Hospital Chicago
Flushing Hospital
Blake Medical Center

Rejections:
Cornell
Penn Hospital
Mayo-Jacksonville
Colorado
Boston U
George Washington
OHSU
Maryland
VCUH
Drexel
Hennepin
SLU
Legacy Emanuel
Mount Auburn
Both Oregon Providences
Aventura

Made some calls to reaches (mid/upper tier Unis) - we'll see how it goes!

Reactions: 2 users
It has been really quiet for me lately. No more iv just a few rej. 6 iv total. Hope Dic brings up a few more.

US-IMG Yog 2017

Step 1:250's
Step 2:250's
CS: pass first attempt
LoR's: 4 US (only 1 from IM - other's from other specialties on USCE)
USCE: 4 months
Research: 1 poster, a couple case reports

Applied to a 160 programs (leaning towards desirable cities). goal to go 18-20 interviews total:

Interviews:
Cook County Stroger
Jacobi
Henry Ford Wayne State
Casewestern Metrohealth
Baylor - Dallas
Bronx Lebanon
Maryland Midtown
New York Presbyterian Brooklyn
New York Presbyterian Queens
Advocate Illinois Masonic
Newark Beth Israel
Miami Palm Beach
Nassau U
Florida Atlantic University
Hofstra Staten Island
Methodist Dallas
Nevada Reno
Providence Hospital D.C.
Broward

Dropped II's:
Memorial Healthcare - Florida
Lincoln Medical Center
Florida Hospital Medical Center
St. Johns Ascension
Manatee Memorial
Mercy Hospital Chicago
Flushing Hospital
Blake Medical Center

Rejections:
Cornell
Penn Hospital
Mayo-Jacksonville
Colorado
Boston U
George Washington
OHSU
Maryland
VCUH
Drexel
Hennepin
SLU
Legacy Emanuel
Mount Auburn
Both Oregon Providences
Aventura

Made some calls to reaches (mid/upper tier Unis) - we'll see how it goes!

Hey as a heads up I heard from some residents I was interviewing with this week that Bronx Lebanon is downright dangerous and malignant because another interviewee was asking about it. They said don't even consider going to it. Apparently that is where one of the attendings shot up the hospital.

Hey as a heads up I heard from some residents I was interviewing with this week that Bronx Lebanon is downright dangerous and malignant because another interviewee was asking about it. They said don't even consider going to it. Apparently that is where one of the attendings shot up the hospital.
i don't think he was an attending but a house officer...
by that measure, one shouldn't go to the Brigham either...

its the Bronx...what do you expect? The area around Woodhull in Brooklyn is pretty scary too...and Jacobi too.

i don't think he was an attending but a house officer...
by that measure, one shouldn't go to the Brigham either...

its the Bronx...what do you expect? The area around Woodhull in Brooklyn is pretty scary too...and Jacobi too.
I mean sure it could happen anywhere. We're all looking for any information about these programs that we can get and I'm just letting him know that the residents were saying avoid that program at all costs for a multitude of reasons. The chief one being that apparently its a dead end program. All of this is just he said she said though so take it with a grain of salt.

Yea, I actually interviewed there a few weeks ago. I don't think we can extrapolate from one shooting at the hospital to say on a larger scale how dangerous a place is. The guy was a carib grad FM doc and was terminated for sexual harrassment previously. For more info: For Gunman at Bronx Hospital, Fleeting Success and Persistent Strife

Regardless, my impression of the program was hella malignant as well.
-probably the worst funded hospital in the bronx, ancillary services seemed non-existent. Lots of time wasted chasing labs, pushing patients to get tests, etc.
-multiple staff on interviews ask in different ways "do you know what separates us from other hospitals? - workload" "are you ready to work your ass off" "i'm proud of how hard our residents work"
-couldnt get a straight answer on work hours. but seemed like 5am-9/10pm was common. Intern patient average (not cap) was around 10 probably. (ACGME says 10 is cap). call q4.
-only met one resident during the entire process. concerning for lack of comaraderie/happiness
-entire resident list is 100% FMG probably. Not that I have a problem with them (myself being IMG), but when its 100% its probably a red flag, or that they are looking for experienced docs for cheap labor.
-first year all floors, second year floors mixed with 5 months ICU/CCU, third year all electives.
-have inhouse fellowships for cards, pulm, gastro, seems to take a couple a year. a few match outside - but given the class size of 30, not an impressive rate.

TL;DR - won't be ranking. Wouldn't recommend ranking unless you have to stay in NYC, really want a fellowship, and masochistically believe in the trial-by-fire method of residency.

Last edited:
Good luck with interviews guys! I applied back in 2012 as a Carib IMG, remember being similarly stressed out like crazy when I wasn't hearing anything in early October, and reflexively applying to tons of more programs. They eventually started to roll in later October - early Nov.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview invite to lincoln medical center but no available dates to schedule. Does anyone have this problem? Emailed about this. Waiting to hear from them. Does anyone also know how the program is like?

Sent a thank you note after my interview today and I got a reply an hour later from the PD saying I’d be a great match for the program:) it’s definitely my no 1/4 so far, regardless.

Reactions: 4 users
Sent a thank you note after my interview today and I got a reply an hour later from the PD saying I’d be a great match for the program:) it’s definitely my no 1/4 so far, regardless.

Take such communication with a grain of salt! It means absolutely nothing! Good Luck!

Any news anyone? It's has been really quiet! Have met a few IMGs in the ivs and most of them had only 3 to 5 ivs. It is a hard season for almost everybody.

Haven't had any new invites/waitlists/rejections in at least a week or two. Interviews have been fun (read: tiring) though.

Any news anyone? It's has been really quiet! Have met a few IMGs in the ivs and most of them had only 3 to 5 ivs. It is a hard season for almost everybody.
queens sinai elmhurst yesterday and raritan bay today—25 IVs for gf

2 were prematch.

She has decided to cancel 3
Good for her! I can't complain about having 7, it is a hard season, I have met applicants with better stats than me and only 3 ivs. I just can't wait for this to be over.

Reactions: 1 users
You think this is to be considered "ranked to match"? I don't feel to comfortable about it (not to make it bad, more because I got a similar thing from a place that is rather "high" and I wonder if the fact that I interviewed there wasn't more of a curtosy...but I'd be glad if someone can convince me otherwise)

The whole point of the post to which you were replying is the exact opposite of what you are asking....you should interpret that e-mail as polite but "absolutely meaningless". Even "ranked to match" communication is worthless unless it's accompanied by an airtight guarantee. DO NOT ACT ON THAT, unless you feel comfortable replying back asking the PD if the comment indicates a binding commitment to rank you in the top N applicants on their rank list, where N is the number of spots they have to fill by the match. That's the only way you'd know for sure. And if you actually try to solicit that sort of a guarantee from them, it's probably going to be reported as a Match violation anyway! If they want to explicitly guarantee you will match if you rank them #1, let them. (There is no incentive for any PD to ever do that. That's why we have a match system.) Anything less means as much as nothing at all.

TL;DR? Just. Ignore. It.

Hey - calm down. I just cited the wrong post. AS you can read, I basically agree that this is all meaningless.

I deleted it therefore - this only confuses. Grain of salt - agree with you 100%

Hey - calm down. I just cited the wrong post. AS you can read, I basically agree that this is all meaningless.

I deleted it therefore - this only confuses. Grain of salt - agree with you 100%

Oh sorry... I interpreted your post based on what you wrote the first time. I don't know any other way to do it I'm afraid! But since you fixed it that makes more sense.

Don't feel I was trying to yell at you or anything...I just want to stress to anyone who might have had the sentiment you originally posted NOT to let it affect them. I just want you to match and to match where you want. :] Seems like you are well on your way...

let’s try to match ;) I agree. Good luck to you and everybody with these goals here!

Went to my last IV this week...it looks like I'm not getting more invitations. Keep the thread alive folks so we can discuss ROL next month. Good luck!

I also basically finished interviewing this week. Have one more in January but that is it. I actually got a phone invitation Wednesday evening for today (Friday) but it was absolutely impossible for me to get to the invited city in a reasonable, monetarily, way so don't think invitations are over guys. Overall went on 15 interviews, mostly in the south. If you want my list/to talk about specific programs you can PM me.

Last edited:
Also done interviewing. 9 total. Hope everyone is doing well!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,
Looks like most of us have stopped receiving invites, and are done with our interviews. Good luck to everyone guys :).
I personally am also stuck on 7, interestingly my last IV call was in mid October - did not receive any invite after that , which is strange.

Anyway, I had a question. I have been doing research for 1 year, and I just found out 3 of my abstracts got accepted. So I was planning to let programs to know about this - both the programs from where I have not received rejections yet (I still want to take my chances - however slim) , and the programs where I interviewed.
How should I draft my email ?
Should I just send them a very short email that they got accepted, or should I attach the abstracts too ?

Any list of programs that IV late? US IMG here wondering if it is too late or waste of money to put out more applications this late.

What is consensus around trying to get a prelim year this late in the game only to start the application process again next Sep for a pgy2 IM spot or advanced anaesthesia?

Any list of programs that IV late? US IMG here wondering if it is too late or waste of money to put out more applications this late.

What is consensus around trying to get a prelim year this late in the game only to start the application process again next Sep for a pgy2 IM spot or advanced anaesthesia?
i think most deadlines have passed by this point, and m/l a waste of money.

this is why you should apply to as many programs as you can (and the apply to more) from the get so you have options...if you get more IVs than you can go to, then you can be selective instead of trying to apply late in the game.

you may want to consider calling any programs you haven't heard from and see if there are any last minute cancellations...though i would wait til after the new year...no one is really working now.

Interview invitations are still a thing apparently. Just got one this morning.

IV-Staten Island university hospital this morning
2 rejections today as well

was quiet for a while

Last edited:
This is something that not a lot of people know. If you are an IMG and u did residency back at your home country. You can do fellowships, specific ones, before your residency. This will increase your chances matching in residency the following year.

This is something that not a lot of people know. If you are an IMG and u did residency back at your home country. You can do fellowships, specific ones, before your residency. This will increase your chances matching in residency the following year.

not sure about other specialties, but ACGME IM fellowships require you to have done an ACGME IM residency (as of 2015 I believe).

This is true, I recently met a IMG applying for IM and he was currently doing Nephro. Maybe is only certain specialties and certain programs..but it is true.

They can do fellowships but not sit for fellowship boards until passing IM boards after residency. This is a great route for IMGs, better than observerships and research. Look into ID and Nephrology as these usually go unfilled. You can then complete ICU fellowship in a year afterwards.

This is coming from someone who interviews people for an IM residency.

Last edited:
What are the feelings on LOI? Are you guys sending one to you #1? Are you using snail mail or email?

Totally going to send a LOI. As soon as I'm done with my last interview though. And I plan on emailing it.

@Alezam which program was this in? Some programs require ECFMG certification to be eligible for fellowships.
I met the guy during an IV at and IM program, I don't know where is he doing Nephro, apparently somewhere in Florida.

This is true, I recently met a IMG applying for IM and he was currently doing Nephro. Maybe is only certain specialties and certain programs..but it is true.

Resident/Fellow Eligibility

the requirement for completion of an ACGME residency started in 2016...but does include Canadian residencies as well...and there is an exception for non ACGME residencies as well...but i would think that you would need to be pretty exceptional for the program to jump through the hoops to get you on board...though with nephrology, they may be willing to do that to fill the spot.

Last edited: