IMGs in Emergency Medicine

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by poi_and_beyond, Sep 19, 2002.

1. poi_and_beyond

poi_and_beyond Junior Member

Hi everybody!

I am an IMG from Germany applying to EM residencies this fall. Supposedly there are 3.4% IMGs in EM- I just can't find out where. Can anyone help?

Cheers, E

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Annette

Annette gainfully employed
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I saw a report from SAEM that 17% of EM residents are IMGs. Annals of EM had a report not too long ago (within the past year) that listed the states that have IMGs in residency programs. (Sorry, I can't look up the article becuase it is burried somewhere! :( )If my memory is right, NY and Michigan have the most.

4. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User

Attending Physician
    I think, due to the recent increase in popularity of EM residencies, that it will be VERY hard for an IMG to get a categorical spot. You might want to do IM first, then do a Critical Care fellowship.

Good luck!

-Skip

5. Pursuing MD

Pursuing MD Senior Member

I know of 1 graduate of the Caribbean that works in the ER at USC County Hospital.

6. USMedStudent

USMedStudent Member

To answer your question about IGM ER residency:

Connections, connections, connections...(1)

That's the key.

Plus, some interesting extracurriculum activities (2).

Then, good luck (3).

Of course, decent USMLE-1 scores (4th importance). Mechanical cut-offs are about 1 SD above the mean (235 for step 1). Below that, you need extra good luck, better connection, more interesting extracurriculum activities than the rest of the crowd. Below 200, you need a miracle.

I can tell you a hundred places that are recruiting people like you, but that wont help. You need connections. Something, someone that makes you different, standing out. You don't just "know" someone. You must "know" someone well enough to know the middle name of his / her Mom's sister. Or, find out the Residency Director and research on his undergrad, med school, before you go for interview. Never hiring a private detective, though.

On my interview, the Residency Director was more interested in my undergrad education (alumni of same school, I told him how his fraternity house was like the last time I went there), the trees he planted in the back yard still there, the frat parties that STILL offered illegal alcohol, the wide-eyed easily impressed freshman sorority sisters, etc., music instruments that we both played and music we both liked, poems, etc., than the real stuff about the residency. It was with nostalgia that we ended the interview. I could almost see tears in his eyes. At 60 people tend to look back at old college age, time, and tend to liken the young ones with what they once did, went through. It was more like a chat between old frat buddies than an interview. I was just like him some 35 years ago, he said. Next thing I knew while still being there, the on-the-spot offer, which I couldn't resist. The deal was made, the paper was signed, first interview for me, also last one.

Oh boy, how much I thank my parents for sending me to such a HUGE school, lots of alumni out there....

7. poi_and_beyond

poi_and_beyond Junior Member

Congratulations on the pre-match position!

Thanks so much for the advice-it looks like I might be on the right track.

I just got my first interview at Emory in Atlanta yesterday- so something is working...

Cheers, E