IMG's in USMLE , chances in residency < can any one help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pro1212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there
I am from Egypt , preparing for USMLE and i wanna know more about my chances to have a residency in the United States residency programs

what are the specialties that do not have much competition ?

how can i increase my chances to have a residency ?

what are the best residency programs for internal medicine , Obs -Gyn ,neurosurgery and orthopedics ?

Members don't see this ad.

hi there
I am from Egypt , preparing for USMLE and i wanna know more about my chances to have a residency in the United States residency programs

what are the specialties that do not have much competition ?

Internal Medicine
Pediatrics
Family Medicine
PM&R
Neurology

how can i increase my chances to have a residency ?

US clinical experience
US letters of recommendation
Very high USMLE scores 99/99

what are the best residency programs for internal medicine , Obs -Gyn ,neurosurgery and orthopedics ?

It is difficult to say which are the best, but the big names are usually associated with famous universities such as Harvard, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic...etc

It is difficult to say which are the best, but the big names are usually associated with famous universities such as Harvard, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic...etc

Nah, there's a definite pecking order in each field, and it's different in each field, and some of the big names actually are pretty mediocre in at least some fields, and quite a few "no names" are bigshots in certain fields. And you have to remember that residencies are hospital based, not school based, so eg you wouldn't be doing residency at "Harvard" per se, you would do your residency at MGH, Brigham, Beth Israel, etc., similarly instead of "Hopkins", you might be doing your residency at Bayside, Sinai, etc. And these places are far from equivalent, even with the same affiliated university. You more or less have to pick a field, and then talk to academic faculty in those fields and get the buzz on which places are strong, weak, malignant, etc. No way you can make a useful list without word of mouth of multiple people you trust, and it won't be a single list across multiple fields.

But for the OP, first, if you are asking about the least competitive fields, you can pretty much throw out neurosurg and orthopedics from your last question. The folks who are struggling to get an IM slot aren't competitive for these. The best IMGs rarely get these, and when they do, it's after pretty significant US experience and networking. Nor should you really care about what the "best" residency programs are, based on your initial question. The same person asking about less competitive fields should not be asking about the "best". The best program in a noncompetitive field can be very competitive. The person who is competitive for IM generally might not be close to competitive for IM at eg MGH. In fact, the person not competitive for IM at MGH might still be competitive for the "worst" slot in some of the more competitive fields -- there is a lot of overlap.

The same person asking about less competitive fields should not be asking about the "best". The best program in a noncompetitive field can be very competitive. The person who is competitive for IM generally might not be close to competitive for IM at eg MGH. In fact, the person not competitive for IM at MGH might still be competitive for the "worst" slot in some of the more competitive fields -- there is a lot of overlap.

are you sure that you are not insulting me , the one who is asking about the least competitive positions is not necessary a scum bag or stupid enough to cope with AMG for residency programs
i asked about the least competitive positions to make a road map , i do not have that IQ that make me not good enough

anyway thank you for the details and thanks agian for the insult

are you sure that you are not insulting me , the one who is asking about the least competitive positions is not necessary a scum bag or stupid enough to cope with AMG for residency programs
i asked about the least competitive positions to make a road map , i do not have that IQ that make me not good enough

...I want to jump in before the last poster has to defend himself. His/Her intention was not to insult you. I thought the post was well-written. As an international student myself, I can tell that you are not a native English speaker. There are very few "stupid" doctors in the world. I'm sure you're very capable, but as an IMG you are going to fight an uphill battle for competitive residencies. If you add some information on your scores/experience/interests/US clinical exposure you will get more specific information from SDN.

If you want to succeed in this process you will need to learn to take advice better and with a more positive outlook.

-C.J.

I'm not aware that I insulted you. You asked two questions that to many of us are simply contradictory. You want to know the least competitive fields, but then you want to know the "best" (ie most competitive) programs within this grouping. Sorry, but you either need to either go one way or the other. If you want less competitive, that's one group (and it doesn't include ortho or neurosurg or the "best" in any specialty). If you want "best" that's another group. This is because there is substantial overlap between the low end of the more competitive things, and the high end of the least competitive things. So the "best" IM program is almost certainly harder to land than, say, the "worst" radiology program. So it's kind of pointless to worry about less competitive if you are going for the high end. Hope this clarifies. Didn't mean to insult you, and I think this kind of response is quite far away from calling you a "scum bag" or whatever you took my last response to suggest. I have no clue what your credentials are and don't really care. You asked about least competitive, so the normal inference on here is that that is where your options lie, but that is your own business.

Hopefully you don't have the attitude that folks who end up at other than the "best" residencies are somehow "scum bags" because honestly, that is most of the physicians in the US, whether you include IMGs or not. It's why I'm putting quotes around "best" and "worst" because honestly many US residencies not regarded as the "best" in their field are solid training and produce solid doctors, and in many ways may be better training than their more prestigious counterparts. You may have some non-US mindset that other than the "best" is not adequate, when in fact most of the time in the US within a particular specialty, for purposes other than fellowship options or academics, a residency is a residency is a residency. So don't waste time worrying about picking a noncompetitive field to go to the best residency program in. Figure out what you want to do, and then see if there is a residency within it that you have a shot at. It might be that the "worst" residency in a certain specialty is a much better career option for you than the "best" residency in a specialty you don't really care about.

As you are an IMG who hasn't taken the USMLE yet, most of this discussion is premature, because until you rock that test even the "worst" program in the least competitive field will be out of your reach.

So don't waste time worrying about picking a noncompetitive field to go to the best residency program in. Figure out what you want to do, and then see if there is a residency within it that you have a shot at. It might be that the "worst" residency in a certain specialty is a much better career option for you than the "best" residency in a specialty you don't really care about.

:thumbup: +++

There may be a language barrier at work here...I think you totally misunderstood Law2Doc's post.

i truly apologize for my attitude