IMGs training med students in Midwest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I read this post while browsing though the forum. I am not surprised to read this comment as i am awfully aware of this institution and city. Having being trained as FMG resident from this institution in specialty other than IM or surgery. I know there is large percentage of FMG's in IM and surgery.
During my training I can feel the discomfort among US medical students and Attendings to deal with FMG's for reasons unknown. I think the way you portrayed the yelling incidences are way over the top and it seems more to do with underlying bias against FMG's then actual incidences . I am quite familiar with the overall working of this particular institution. Being an FMG resident I can go on and on how on several occasions I was made aware intentially or unintentially by my American attendings , not to accept same level of courtesy and respect which they gave to AMG's.
The tragedy of the city and institution is that they can not attract many AMG's for their residencies.Especially in your school most of the students are out of state and they leave once they are done with their school. So they rely on FMG's for their recruitment and then suffer through the misery of simply seeing them working in hospital. While I was there some of the graduates from other medical college in town joined the IM residency because they thought FMG attendings are better teachers.
I do not doubt the accent and cultural aspects and resulting confusions, but i am quite confident they are way over blown. which have more to do with geography and culture of this part of USA. I am still thankful to institute for training me. I am definitely not excited to look back at the experiences I had during my training. I am thankful to move out of this place. please pardon me being blunt . I think you need to look into mirror and get out of mentality of this particular town and state. America is great country and offers lot more diversity and acceptance to those are different than this town.

Go Omaha!

Members don't see this ad.

I think yelling n shouting is more of a matter of personality but it may also have cultural influences. I am a medical student in Pakistan, (same cultural norms as in India esp. in relation to medical school) and I remember being yelled at infinite times in 3yrs only on trivial issues. I am sort of immune to that attitude, but it is no doubt the worst experience of medical school life.The thing such attitudes hurt most is the self esteem of students. People should never throw their own STRESS out on the students...atleast we are human beings, being senior or junior is not a matter here.