IMG's USA/Canada crisscross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Speaking to a recent graduate of TCD, she mentioned that with a US residency, one can practice in Canada with no hindrances. She added that the reverse is not true and that with a Canadian residency, one cannot practice in the US without repeating residency or doing additional training. I need to work backwards and plan electives in the country where I intend to do my residency, thus the question.

I'm planning on a Family Med residency, BTW, and I know it's 3 years in the US and 2 years in Canada.

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of this picture?

Members don't see this ad.

Just through what I've heard, that sounds about right. The only thing I'd add is that for medicine the US is 50 different states. So I think coming from Canada after you're fully qualified you can work in Michagin or Wisconsin with only a little trouble but not places like Florida, Texas, or Cali without almost re-doing a residency.

But this is just all stuff I've heard as well and haven't looked into it too much myself. So I may just be passing on more bad information!

There is the added confounder that the residency requirements are different by country:

Canada: 2 years of FP residency.
USA: 3 years FP residency.

Also for anesth: 5 vs. 4 years. I don't know about others offhand.