IMMEDIATE RESPONSE NEEDED - Pass Fail Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stifler

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to make a decision by 5 today.

If I change intro anthro into PASS/FAIL my predicted gpa for this semester alone is 3.433 (B+, B+, A-).
If I get a B+ then my predicted gpa for this semester will be 3.4 (B+,B+,B+, A-)
If I get an A- then my predicted gpa for this semester will be 3.5 (B+, B+, A-, A-)

B+ = 3.3
A- = 3.7

My logic is that if I PASS/FAIL anthro I miss out on the opportunity to help my gpa by 0.067 points if I get an A-.
If I get a B+ then I would have hurt myself by 0.033 (3.433-3.4) or should I look at it as if I lost the opportunity to get an A- which would hurt me byu 0.100.

my current grade in the class is a 90 average flat. if i put a lot of work in it then I will get an A-, I dont think I can get an A with hardwork. Most of my friends are getting B- and C+. There will be 0 scaling.

yes you ppl will think im a freak but i care because my gpa is borderline.

another reason why I wanna cahnge anthro too PASS/FAIL is because it is so much damn reading. 5 books a semester and 5 papers and 3 tests. its a freaking intro class. im taking organic and two other intensive bio courses all with their labs.

advice? please give reasoning...

Members don't see this ad.

drop it. because unless you need it for your major or curriculum, you could focus on your other classes more and/or you could save your GPA a little.

i agree it is very minor, but i dont think i can get above a 90 on every writing assignment. i dont need it for my major. nor is it a premed requirement

Members don't see this ad :)
stifler said:
I need to make a decision by 5 today.

If I drop intro anthro my predicted gpa for this semester alone is 3.433 (B+, B+, A-).
If I get a B+ then my predicted gpa for this semester will be 3.4 (B+,B+,B+, A-)
If I get an A- then my predicted gpa for this semester will be 3.5 (B+, B+, A-, A-)

B+ = 3.3
A- = 3.7

My logic is that if I drop anthro I miss out on the opportunity to help my gpa by 0.067 points if I get an A-.
If I get a B+ then I would have hurt myself by 0.033 (3.433-3.4) or should I look at it as if I lost the opportunity to get an A- which would hurt me byu 0.100.

my current grade in the class is a 90 average flat. if i put a lot of work in it then I will get an A-, I dont think I can get an A with hardwork. Most of my friends are getting B- and C+. There will be 0 scaling.

yes you ppl will think im a freak but i care because my gpa is borderline.

another reason why I wanna drop anthro is because it is so much damn reading. 5 books a semester and 5 papers and 3 tests. its a freaking intro class. im taking organic and two other intensive bio courses all with their labs.

advice? please give reasoning...

Well, as I'm sure other posters will say...Med School is going to be a lot of hard work anyway, so get used to it. Now that aside, if you drop it are you actually dropping it or taking a "W" in the class. If it would be a "W" then I would say to stay in it and hope for the A-. If it is just a drop and will not show up on your transcript then do whatever you want ;)

Drop it if you think it takes away time from science classes. But don't drop it because you're afraid of a B+ It doesn't really make a difference if it's 3.4 vs. 3.43. You might even get an A, these classes often don't go just by numbers.

If you don't have to take it and it's making you unhappy, drop it!

I once withdrew from a class in which I was getting an A+ more than halfway through the semester. I hated the class, and I have absolutely no regrets.

okay lemme specify...

i am taking it pass fail. i will receive credit for it. It shows up as P/F on the transcript.

i am not dropping the class or withdrawing it or making it incomplete.

stifler said:
okay lemme specify...

i am taking it pass fail. i will receive credit for it. It shows up as P/F on the transcript.

Oh wow, I'm so sorry, I totally missed that part when I skimmed your original post. I've never taken a P/F course, but wouldn't the F hurt your GPA? I suppose if not though, if you don't need the course and you feel it could hinder your progress in your other courses then dump it. Good luck! :)

Sooz said:
Oh wow, I'm so sorry, I totally missed that part when I skimmed your original post. I've never taken a P/F course, but wouldn't the F hurt your GPA? I suppose if not though, if you don't need the course and you feel it could hinder your progress in your other courses then dump it. Good luck! :)

you didnt read wrong. i posted it as drop, then i changed it. im just trying to weigh if my large amounts of effort in the class is worth such a mini gpa boost...only 0.006 of my overall gpa last time i checked. but would hurt like 0.04 if i get a B+

stifler said:
okay lemme specify...

Okay, now I'm confused. In your original post, you said you were considering changing to take anthro pass/fail. So what's the question, whether or not to turn it into letter grade? If that's your dilemma, don't bother. Even if your gpa is borderline now, you'll have more chances to boost your gpa .06 or whatever, preferably when you're not taking core science classes.

I would P/F it. I was in a similar situation during my freshman year with an anthro class. Only two tests and the first one was the same day as a chem test. Suffice to say I didn't too hot on the anthro test but I aced the chem. Overall I got a B- in the class, I wish I P/F the course because that would have brought freshmen and now overall GPA's up alot.

It amazes me how some people get out of bed in the morning without a second opinion.

im wondering if i should take it pass fail or for a grade.

stifler said:
im wondering if i should take it pass fail or for a grade.
I can't believe I'm explaining this but here goes:
With the amount of positive and negative change that you are giving and the general nature of the question, you no doubt have very few (less than 60) credit hours to begin with. Neither grade is going to make that much difference in the scheme of things.
You are over thinking this.
If you get 3.7 half the time and 3.3 half the time with a 4.0 a few times, your GPA will be greater than 3.5 when you graduate, which is better than your proposed best case scenario at the end of this semester alone.
Make sense?

My transcript is littered with Bs and I'm doing just fine in the admissions process. Buck up and take it for a grade. If I saw Pass/Fail on a transcript, I'd assume that you got a C. At least if you get a B+, I'd know that you tried.

Why not keep it? You can certainly get an A- in the class if you tried hard enough. You don't seem to doubt that. Med School won't be easy. Consider this training.

i decided to take it for a grade.

drinklord said:
My transcript is littered with Bs and I'm doing just fine in the admissions process. Buck up and take it for a grade. If I saw Pass/Fail on a transcript, I'd assume that you got a C. At least if you get a B+, I'd know that you tried.

My transcript is littered with pass/fails, and I'm doing just fine too. I don't think it's a logical assumption that a pass/fail class is equivalent to a poor grade. It's just a different value system through which to approach coursework.

If grades are what work for you, then by all means, take them. For me, they have more baggage than real value, and I'm perfectly happy to learn for learning's sake. Then again, I'm not particularly an advocate of "bucking up," either :)

Good luck with the course, Stifler. I bet you'll get that A.

Risa said:
My transcript is littered with pass/fails, and I'm doing just fine too. I don't think it's a logical assumption that a pass/fail class is equivalent to a poor grade. It's just a different value system through which to approach coursework.

If grades are what work for you, then by all means, take them. For me, they have more baggage than real value, and I'm perfectly happy to learn for learning's sake. Then again, I'm not particularly an advocate of "bucking up," either :)

Good luck with the course, Stifler. I bet you'll get that A.

Really, what counts in the admissions process is what the admissions committee thinks. And from what I've heard grades, much more than P/N, seem to work for them. Despite your own personal philosophies (however valid), you, and the original poster, must operate by the rules that others set if you wish to earn the prizes that they offer. In that case, it is certain that admissions committees look unfavorably on P/N's. I'm not saying your app is doomed, I'm sure this plays only a small role, but let's make no mistake--your P's aren't helping.