Immigrant from Cuba. Could someone please tell me what my chances are? MD AND DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceverus

Reaction score
-Moved to states when I was 19 from Cuba in 2013
-4.0 GPA from state college (FSW)
-3.65 GPA from UF
-AACOMAS GPAs: cum: 3.84 science: 3.74
-MCAT: 508 (2nd try) (126,127,127,128)
-year in military service in Cuba living and working in the military bases's clinic. Shadowed 2 doctors, 1 nurse, 1 DMD (4500 hours)
-worked part-time throughout undergrad at Target for almost five years
-90 hours obtaining first responder certification and shadowing emts and firefighters of Gainesville (kinda volunteering)
-research (2880 hours) First author manuscript under peer-review in Journal of neuroscience research. I did this while doing an immigration process for my mother before applying to med school now- two cycles later (graduated UF 2018)
-biochemistry TA at UF (78 hours)
-english writing tutor at FSW (780 hours)
-currently shadowinng MD at a pathology lab and looking to get a job in healthcare soon until matriculation hopefully
- From FSW: 1 rec letter from bio II, 1 from humanities From UF: 1 from PI and 1 from biochemistry after TAing
How's it looking? I applied this cycle to 6DOs and 29MDs
-From Florida. 7 years in the country. 26 years old

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What are your sGPA and cGPA for all your undergraduate courses ? Which schools did you apply to ?

MD:
Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at Florida Atlantic UniversityYesYesRegular M.D.November 15, 2020November 30, 2020Edit Delete
Creighton University School of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.November 1, 2020November 16, 2020Edit Delete
Drexel University College of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.January 1, 2021January 15, 2021Edit Delete
Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.December 1, 2020December 15, 2020Edit Delete
Florida State University College of MedicineYesNoRegular M.D.December 1, 2020December 15, 2020Edit Delete
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple UniversityYesYesRegular M.D.December 15, 2020December 29, 2020Edit Delete
Loma Linda University School of MedicineYesNoRegular M.D.November 1, 2020November 16, 2020Edit Delete
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.November 2, 2020November 16, 2020Edit Delete
Medical College of WisconsinYesYesRegular M.D.November 2, 2020November 16, 2020Edit Delete
New York University Grossman School of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.October 15, 2020October 29, 2020Edit Delete
Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.January 31, 2021February 15, 2021Edit Delete
Oakland University William Beaumont School of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.November 15, 2020November 30, 2020Edit Delete
Pennsylvania State University College of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.November 15, 2020November 30, 2020Edit Delete
Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of VermontYesYesRegular M.D.November 1, 2020November 16, 2020Edit Delete
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical CenterYesYesRegular M.D.October 1, 2020October 15, 2020Edit Delete
The University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life SciencesYesYesRegular M.D.November 1, 2020November 16, 2020Edit Delete
Tulane University School of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.October 15, 2020October 29, 2020Edit Delete
USF Health Morsani College of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.February 12, 2021February 26, 2021Edit Delete
University of Central Florida College of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.November 16, 2020November 30, 2020Edit Delete
University of Colorado School of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.October 15, 2020October 29, 2020Edit Delete
University of Florida College of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.December 1, 2020December 15, 2020Edit Delete
University of Louisville School of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.November 1, 2020November 16, 2020Edit Delete
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.December 1, 2020December 15, 2020Edit Delete
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.August 3, 2020August 17, 2020Edit Delete
University of South Carolina School of Medicine GreenvilleYesYesRegular M.D.November 1, 2020November 16, 2020Edit Delete
University of Washington School of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.October 15, 2020October 29, 2020Edit Delete
Virginia Commonwealth University School of MedicineYesYesRegular M.D.October 15, 2020October 29, 2020Edit Delete
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical CenterYesYesRegular M.D.October 15, 2020October 29, 2020Edit Delete
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

DO: (only ones do not require letter from physician)

Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Verified

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine Bradenton Campus
Verified

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Verified

New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM) Long Island (Old Westbury NY) and NYITCOM at Arkansas State University (Jonesboro AR)
Verified

Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine
Verified

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine/PCOM South Georgia

You should not submit the secondaries for U Washington (accept less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest), Missouri, Louisville and South Carolina (accept very few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state). Also rush expects many more clinical and non clinical volunteering hours than you have.You could add these schools:
Quinnipiac
Einstein
Seton Hall
Jefferson
Albany
TCU-UNT
St. Louis
Wayne State

You should not submit the secondaries for U Washington (accept less than 1% of applicants who are not from states in the Northwest), Missouri, Louisville and South Carolina (accept very few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state). Also rush expects many more clinical and non clinical volunteering hours than you have.You could add these schools:
Quinnipiac
Einstein
Seton Hall
Jefferson
Albany
TCU-UNT
St. Louis
Wayne State
Thank you for your help. Do you think if I take those out and add 3 or 4 of your recommendations I will be in a good place?

Thank you for your help. Do you think if I take those out and add 3 or 4 of your recommendations I will be in a good place?
Yes. In particular Einstein, TCU-UNT, Seton Hall and Quinnipiac are in areas with large Hispanic populations. The Bronx (where Einstein is located) is 60% Hispanic.

Yes. In particular Einstein, TCU-UNT, Seton Hall and Quinnipiac are in areas with large Hispanic populations. The Bronx (where Einstein is located) is 60% Hispanic.
Thank you. I really appreciate it. I will add those except texas since I'm not applying there. I am honestly counting on FIU. Thank you again