Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Immigration question

Discussion in 'Australasia and Oceania' started by bubbleboy, Nov 21, 2005.

1. bubbleboy

bubbleboy New Member

Hi guys, This has likely been asked before... Has any one been successful in getting Permanent Residency - migrating to Australia while in medical school? (I am a Canadian btw).

I have checked the immigration website and I presently don't have enough points since I dont have work experience in my field which is Biology (Natural sciences). I so far have about 100 points which is short of the 120.

I have been told by an Australian person that they are actively recruiting immigrants and that they will award me points for being a physician while I am studying medicine. - It sounds unrealistic but I thought I would ask.

Has anyone been successful in getting immigration to australia. I really would like to settle down and I think I could enjoy living down there.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. banana k

banana k registered user of WHAT?
    5+ Year Member

no. you'll get points for having an oz degree, but certainly not WHILE you're studying it and not until i think you're well outside postgrad. check www.immi.gov.au for details--they give a run down on the points requirements. it's a pain.

4. JoeNamaMD

JoeNamaMD Membership Revoked
    Removed

You only get points for being a physician after you completed your residency training. Simply having a medical degree will not qualify you. Of the health fields, its hardest for medical students to stay while pharmacy and nursing students have fewer difficulties. You are also subject to a ten year moratorium that forbids you from practicing in larger cities.