bubbleboy

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Status
Hi guys, This has likely been asked before... Has any one been successful in getting Permanent Residency - migrating to Australia while in medical school? (I am a Canadian btw).

I have checked the immigration website and I presently don't have enough points since I dont have work experience in my field which is Biology (Natural sciences). I so far have about 100 points which is short of the 120.

I have been told by an Australian person that they are actively recruiting immigrants and that they will award me points for being a physician while I am studying medicine. - It sounds unrealistic but I thought I would ask.

Has anyone been successful in getting immigration to australia. I really would like to settle down and I think I could enjoy living down there.

banana k

registered user of WHAT?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2004
Australia
Status
no. you'll get points for having an oz degree, but certainly not WHILE you're studying it and not until i think you're well outside postgrad. check www.immi.gov.au for details--they give a run down on the points requirements. it's a pain.

JoeNamaMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Status
You only get points for being a physician after you completed your residency training. Simply having a medical degree will not qualify you. Of the health fields, its hardest for medical students to stay while pharmacy and nursing students have fewer difficulties. You are also subject to a ten year moratorium that forbids you from practicing in larger cities.

About the Ads