Sep 7, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Hi there,

So I'm very interested in the pre-med track, although my undergrad was in humanities. I've done volunteer work, a basic health certification, and a ton of research/reading, sitting in on courses etc. and I've loved everything. I also understand the ramifications of a career change, but I'm pretty young so I'm ok with it. Here's the catch. My best friend from undergrad is in med school & I don't think it would have ever occurred to me if it weren't for them. It just keeps haunting me that it first occurred to me through watching (and perhaps coveting) their life a bit. Of course there are a thousand other reasons why I want to go, but there's this voice. so I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the try because I've loved everything I've done so far, or whether I should listen to that little voice of doubt..."this might not be you." Thoughts? How original does the idea need to be?

Last edited:

Gurby

5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. On the other hand, there is nothing new under the sun.

All you can do is gather as much information as you can, and make what you think will be the best choice based on the evidence. How much shadowing have you done?

heartsink

5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2013
Status
I believe in finding the "one right job" as much as i believe in finding your "one true love" -- in that I don't believe in either. Like everything else, it will be a sliding scale of appreciation, happiness, pain and hard work. If you think medicine puts your sliding scale of life way up there, and you have experience and reason to believe that, go for it.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Medicine is a calling, like being a priest or a policeman.

What does your heart tell you?????

The only person you should be comparing yourself to is yourself.

So knock off the crap about what your friend did. 25000 other people also got into med school this year.

Hi there,

So I'm very interested in the pre-med track, although my undergrad was in humanities. I've done volunteer work, a basic health certification, and a ton of research/reading, sitting in on courses etc. and I've loved everything. I also understand the ramifications of a career change, but I'm pretty young so I'm ok with it. Here's the catch. My best friend from undergrad is in med school & I don't think it would have ever occurred to me if it weren't for them. It just keeps haunting me that it first occurred to me through watching (and perhaps coveting) their life a bit. Of course there are a thousand other reasons why I want to go, but there's this voice. so I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the try because I've loved everything I've done so far, or whether I should listen to that little voice of doubt..."this might not be you." Thoughts? How original does the idea need to be?

Moko

Interview game face: on
2+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
It just keeps haunting me that it first occurred to me through watching (and perhaps coveting) their life a bit.
Being in medicine and taking care of other people is a privilege and definitely pretty cool at times. But having a realistic idea of what you're getting yourself into is also important. Behind all the glamour :rofl: and happy times on the surface, people are sacrificing a tremendous amount, whether it be spending almost a decade of their life training on a daily basis, to not being able to spend time with loved ones when it's needed. The journey can be disappointing at times, and is almost uniformly stressful across the board. So I'd encourage you to be sure that this is what you want before you commit to this process. There are many other careers that can be fulfilling and impactful.

Personally, I'm having a great time and am happy with my decision (and I would say that this is the case for most of my peers), but there's always a couple of students in every class who leave after several months when they realize that medicine is not for them. It takes a lot of courage to reach that conclusion, and it's a shame that this realization occurred after they had poured so much effort and a semester+'s worth of tuition. Ultimately you'll need to be honest with yourself about what your goals and aspirations are. If you think medicine is going to make you happiest--with all of its up and downs--then go for it. But don't let other people's perceptions cloud your decision.

Reactions: LizzyM
OP
W
Sep 7, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Behind all the glamour :rofl: and happy times on the surface, people are sacrificing a tremendous amount, whether it be spending almost a decade of their life training on a daily basis, to not being able to spend time with loved ones when it's needed. The journey can be disappointing at times, and is almost uniformly stressful across the board.
Thanks! You're right & I've been trying to read every realistic account and get acquainted with the sacrifice rather than the glamour, at a certain point, however, I think I might just have to give it a try.

OP
W
Sep 7, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Medicine is a calling, like being a priest or a policeman.
I've heard people say this more times than I can count& it is a bit tough for me to go on. Could you elaborate? Did I wake up with sudden knowledge that this was the only thing I could ever do to be happy? no...in fact I've had other plans since early in highschool. But do I really want it, wake up every day wanting it? yes, for sure.

Moko

Interview game face: on
2+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks! You're right & I've been trying to read every realistic account and get acquainted with the sacrifice rather than the glamour, at a certain point, however, I think I might just have to give it a try.
Absolutely! I don't think anyone can understand the full extent of the sacrifices that medicine entails until they're in the midst of it. The most that can be done is to have as realistic of an account as possible, and to make a decision based off of incomplete information. Best of luck :)

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Then follow your heart!!!

I've heard people say this more times than I can count& it is a bit tough for me to go on. Could you elaborate? Did I wake up with sudden knowledge that this was the only thing I could ever do to be happy? no...in fact I've had other plans since early in highschool. But do I really want it, wake up every day wanting it? yes, for sure.