Immunizations and Wait Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrateR | RetarD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we need to have our immunizations already complete in case we get taken off the wait list? I don't think I have the Hepatitis B shot. We won't have time getting them done if we get called towards matriculation.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure, but for Wake we don't need the HepB series for vaccination in order to matriculate. If you think you're gonna get off the WL then definitely get your immunizations done now. You'll probably need: tetanus booster, TB test, 2 MMR's, chicken pox blood titer. Also get a physical.

add meningitis vaccine too.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get your immunizations now they will still be valid next year and one less thing to think about. The TB and physical at the schools I've looked into need to be within one year so it would be close.

With Hep B its a six month series, so you won't finish them even if you start now. But thats okay at the two schools I have info for, but that way you will be done next year when you get to this point.

I had a similar dilemna and took the physical forms from both the school I was waitlisted at and the school I was accepted at to my physical just in case.

kchan99 said:
So some schools require the meningitis vaccine?

Some do. You'll be exposed to a lot of nasty stuff in med school and beyond so it certainly won't hurt. I'd get it if you have insurance that will cover most of it.