immunizations??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr. bc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone have any idea what immunizations you need before starting med school?

I'm on 4 waitlists...hoping that i'll get in...but wanted to get any immunizations before
my current work health insurance ends...

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The most likely ones are a current tetanus (past 10 years) and the Hep B series (3 shots-- 1st one, 2nd a month later, 3rd 6 months after the 1st). You will probably have the rest up to date if you attended a US college/university because they usually require them for entrance.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by m2006:
•The most likely ones are a current tetanus (past 10 years) and the Hep B series (3 shots-- 1st one, 2nd a month later, 3rd 6 months after the 1st). You will probably have the rest up to date if you attended a US college/university because they usually require them for entrance.•••••If you're a non-traditional student you may need to get an additional MMR. Depends on your age, though.

dr. bc--good luck getting your insurance to cover the shots, they generally don't for adults. Check first. Obviously, you will have to get the shots either way, but you'll at least know how much $$ it'll cost you.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCV also requires meningococcus, or a signed waiver stating that you didn't want the vaccine.

Hep A's
Hep B's
Chicken Pox (if you haven't had it yet)
I think Meningitis (for east coast schools)

Anyone else?

Let's see: MMR (with documented positive Rubella titer), Polio, Varicella (with positive titer), Diphtheria/Tetanus, Hepatitis B, and a two-step PPD (to rule out Tuberculosis). Also got Hepatitis A initial as well.

Just had my physical today. Now I know what a pin cushion feels like.

I'd suggest that if you are currently employed in a hospital to go get titre's done by your occupational health services - generally they'll do it for free.

my school requires proof of immunization by just a health professionals signature, however, I was told by an M3 that they later require titres and they are very expensive.

I just had mumps and measles titer done and they cost me $348!!!

That's a great suggestion, shorrin...at my hospital, though, they wouldn't go for it :(

Oh well, small price (and pain) to pay... :cool:

Apparently, there's a shortage of tetanus shot and it's not being administered at most places. I cannot find a place in my region that would do it, unless you're certifiably traveling to certain areas of the world.

I just read the portion of our handbook that says that all freshman will be given the HepB series - at no cost to us.

I'm having the same problem with the tetanus vaccine shortage. I think I'll try the state health clinic.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by analu:
•That's a great suggestion, shorrin...at my hospital, though, they wouldn't go for it :(

Oh well, small price (and pain) to pay... :cool: •••••not too much pain. mostly fear. come over here and i'll draw the titer for you. don't worry the biggest needle i've got is a 21 gauge straight needle.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by shorrin:
•I'd suggest that if you are currently employed in a hospital to go get titre's done by your occupational health services - generally they'll do it for free.

my school requires proof of immunization by just a health professionals signature, however, I was told by an M3 that they later require titres and they are very expensive.•••••the infectious control nurse gave me my step 2 of the mantoux. plus she filled out all the paperwork for my immunizations. oh yeah.

You cannot get a tetanus shot unless you are in an accident or at a particular risk. All Doctor's know this, so even though it is on your sheet school's are not requiring it because you can't get one. I also had to get Varicella, Hep B series, and TB test.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by charleb11:
[QB]You cannot get a tetanus shot unless you are in an accident or at a particular risk. All Doctor's know this, so even though it is on your sheet school's are not requiring it because you can't get one. [QB]••••this isn't unequivocally true. i got a tetanus booster a month ago without any hassle--i simply told my doctor i needed one, and i got it. maybe i happened to visit my doctor at a good time, but i wasn't hassled about it at all.

Ha ha ha, oldman, the "ouch" wasn't from the titers, it was from the Tetanus shot...hurts even more today, as I had trouble playing 18 holes with a stiff shoulder.

Had my tetanus shot done on Monday. Had my last one in '87, so my PCP said I was overdue for a booster. No problem for me.

What do you do if your childhood immunization record is long gone? I have more recently had the HepB series; and while I have had all the necessary shots to attend grade school I have no record of them. Do schools require immunization cards like those distributed these days?

Thanks

I'm reposting my question...

For people who just graduated college and will be going to med school in the Fall, what additional shots did you need to get? I figure most were done for college, so hopefully this won't be too expensive.

How do I find out where my state health clinic is?

Familyman, I, too, did not have an immunization card. I was fortunate enough to pull my record from my medical records from my pediatrician (long since retired, btw :( ). When I did my required physical, my PCP filled out the immunization clearance form, received from my med school.

Foxy, I needed to have documented positive titers for Rubella, Varicella, and HepB, as well as two PPD tests not less than a week apart. If you've gotten health clearance from your undergrad school, you're probably up-to-date on your immunizations, except for HepB (three stage, which you probably have, working in a healthcare setting) and maybe HepA (a relatively new one, my PCP recommended it). Soooo, in other words, you may be able to get away with only a PPD test and a couple of tubes of blood for titers.

Thanks analu :)

Does anyone know how to find your state/public health clinic?

As a non-trad. my childhood health records are long gone. (in fact my pediatric clinic no longer exists). Does anyone know where those records go? Surely they aren't thrown out? I know I was up-to-date when I did my undergrad 10 years ago. However, my university purged my health record last spring and no longer has them on record. Sigh. Anyone have any advice?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
•Does anyone know how to find your state/public health clinic?•••••Look in the phone book under "State of.... Dept. of Health."

•••quote:•••Originally posted by CD:
•As a non-trad. my childhood health records are long gone. (in fact my pediatric clinic no longer exists). Does anyone know where those records go? Surely they aren't thrown out? I know I was up-to-date when I did my undergrad 10 years ago. However, my university purged my health record last spring and no longer has them on record. Sigh. Anyone have any advice?•••••Your mother didn't keep copies of them?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by CD:
•As a non-trad. my childhood health records are long gone. (in fact my pediatric clinic no longer exists). Does anyone know where those records go? Surely they aren't thrown out? I know I was up-to-date when I did my undergrad 10 years ago. However, my university purged my health record last spring and no longer has them on record. Sigh. Anyone have any advice?•••••get antibody titer tests done. schools will accept positive results as proof of immunity (some schools actually prefer this.)

SMW--yes my mother did keep records...in our baby books. However when they made their last move (to a new house) the box of baby books and other records dissapeared.
To the other poster who suggested titres. I've had them run for measles and mumps and it cost $348 bucks for those two. I was looking for a cheaper alternative for the others.

just got a Varicella titer test, it costs 25.20. Also got a MMR shot and a TB test, each costs 7 dollars :p Earlier this month I also got a free Hep B shot and free Hep B titer test at a local clinics :p

anyway, these tests/shots aren't that expensive if you are willing to look around ( check your city's public health services or your school clinics )

unfortunately I am probably going to need to get a Chest XRay for my TB skin test -_-

(oh yah, if you want to find your city public health clinics, try google)

analu said:
Ha ha ha, oldman, the "ouch" wasn't from the titers, it was from the Tetanus shot...hurts even more today, as I had trouble playing 18 holes with a stiff shoulder.

Had my tetanus shot done on Monday. Had my last one in '87, so my PCP said I was overdue for a booster. No problem for me.

I got my tetanus shot yesterday (Monday) too. It's a little sore, but it's really minor-- less than a sore muscle from working out.

And, I was able to just walk into the Nurse's Clinic at Kaiser and ask for one w/ my TB test. No problems getting it at all.