Immunobiology vs Microbiology for 2015 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which elective do you feel is best suitable prior to the MCAT (2015)?

• Total voters

Majumatata

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, the title pretty much sums it up. I'd like to take one of these courses prior to my 2015 MCAT. My pre-med advisor elected taking immuno but I haven't heard many fond things of the class (professor, class structure, etc.) Don't know whether I should take it with a grain of salt. I'll be taking biochem 1, cellular physiology, and medical terminology in conjunction with one the aforementioned upper electives. Let me preface by saying biochem will consume majority of my allotted studying time as it will possibly drop my GPA like an anchor.

Here are the course description:

Immunobiology (3 credit) Course Description:
Biochemistry and interactions of antigens, antibodies, and lymphocytes; development of the immune system; and medical applications and current immunological techniques.

Microbiology (4 credit) Course Description:
Fundamental characteristics of bacteria and their viruses, including their biochemical, molecular, genetic, immunological, and economic significance. Three hours of lecture and three hours of laboratory per week.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the title pretty much sums it up. I'd like to take one of these courses prior to my 2015 MCAT. My pre-med advisor elected taking immuno but I haven't heard many fond things of the class (professor, class structure, etc.) Don't know whether I should take it with a grain of salt. I'll be taking biochem 1, cellular physiology, and medical terminology in conjunction with one the aforementioned upper electives. Let me preface by saying biochem will consume majority of my allotted studying time as it will possibly drop my GPA like an anchor.

Here are the course description:

Immunobiology (3 credit) Course Description:
Biochemistry and interactions of antigens, antibodies, and lymphocytes; development of the immune system; and medical applications and current immunological techniques.

Microbiology (4 credit) Course Description:
Fundamental characteristics of bacteria and their viruses, including their biochemical, molecular, genetic, immunological, and economic significance. Three hours of lecture and three hours of laboratory per week.

Only biochem is the most important for the new MCAT. Focus on that. Rest can be self-studied using prep books

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't take either of these classes for MCAT prep. Take them if you're interested in them. The new MCAT doesn't require knowledge of micro or immunology beyond what would be covered in a year-long general biology curriculum (check out pages 25-49 of the preview guide: micro gets less than a page, and immuno gets a single paragraph).

Focus on doing well in biochem, and take courses you're interested in.

If anything take physiology if possible. I'm finding it tremendously helpful for my bio content review.